Beginner-Mountain Goat Hunting

RugerHawg413

Good Morning,

I didn't know where exactly to post this but thought this would be the best place. I have been on a few big game hunts in my life but never for mountain goats. I have always wanted to hunt them, but I have never ever applied for a tag for one of them. I have actually never even seen one in person before. The hunt itself seems like a once in a lifetime adventure and something that would love to do. I currently live in AR (so I am a non-resident to any state with mountain goats). I have done a little research on the way the draw works for goats in WY and MT, but mainly WY. I don't currently have any points in MT or ID (the other state I am considering applying for a goat tag). I do have a few specific questions:

Which State has the best Odds for me (non-resident) to draw a mountain goat tag between- WY, MT, and ID?

Which State has the best goat hunting between-WY, MT, and ID?

And in that State which area is best?

I do realize that my chances of getting a mountain goat tag are pretty low in any state. But I know that if I never try then I will most certainly never get one. Please let me know what your thoughts regarding the questions above and your thoughts on mountain goat hunting in general for a beginner. And anyone who has gone mountain goat hunting and knows what it is like to try to draw for a tag year in and year out. I would love to hear your stories and see your pictures from your hunt if you don't mind sharing. Any wisdom that you have learned from your hunt that may help me avoid some beginners mistakes, it would be greatly appreciated! All info, input, and wisdom are appreciated! Thank you!!

Where to start, first off I'd say that hunting those white buggers is a hoot. Not overly easy to get a chance to do so..............but there's nothing like it when you can go.

I'd encourage you to apply in all 3 states, buy the points as you can in Idaho and Montana. As far as odds go, I'll leave that to you and some research you can do by yourself. (might think about becoming a member of Hunting Fool).

My best guess would be that Idaho would have the best odds. All 3 will have good goat hunting in them.

Would you be hunting on your own or via an outfitter?

You'd probably have both better odds and be cheaper to buy a plot of land and get an address and change residency to Alaska, then apply for Dall sheep then to play the lottery in lower 48..

You'll have like a whole 8% draw odd and won't have to pay a guide to do your hunting for you.

To clarify, this isn't advice, this is simply how ridiculous it is..

Last edited:
Where to start, first off I'd say that hunting those white buggers is a hoot. Not overly easy to get a chance to do so..............but there's nothing like it when you can go.

I'd encourage you to apply in all 3 states, buy the points as you can in Idaho and Montana. As far as odds go, I'll leave that to you and some research you can do by yourself. (might think about becoming a member of Hunting Fool).

My best guess would be that Idaho would have the best odds. All 3 will have good goat hunting in them.

Would you be hunting on your own or via an outfitter?
Thank you for the info! I would be via outfitter. If you have any recommendations for outfitters that would be most welcome. Thank you!

You'd probably have both better odds and be cheaper to buy a plot of land and get an address and change residency to Alaska, then apply for Dall sheep then to play the lottery in lower 48..

You'll have like a whole 8% draw odd and won't have to pay a guide to do your hunting for you.

To clarify, this isn't advice, this is simply how ridiculous it is..
Understood, thank you for info.

Alaska or BC if you want to go on a goat hunt. Other states are fine if you want to throw money at applications and dream about hunting goats

Buy raffle tags if you can it will increase your odds in the lower 48 . I was lucky enough to draw 2 goat tags in Wa. before they changed it to once in a lifetime tag. Both were memories that I will never forget. Last year I drew a sheep tag and shot a ram within a mile of where I shot the first goat 47 years later.

Good Morning,

I didn't know where exactly to post this but thought this would be the best place. I have been on a few big game hunts in my life but never for mountain goats. I have always wanted to hunt them, but I have never ever applied for a tag for one of them. I have actually never even seen one in person before. The hunt itself seems like a once in a lifetime adventure and something that would love to do. I currently live in AR (so I am a non-resident to any state with mountain goats). I have done a little research on the way the draw works for goats in WY and MT, but mainly WY. I don't currently have any points in MT or ID (the other state I am considering applying for a goat tag). I do have a few specific questions:

Which State has the best Odds for me (non-resident) to draw a mountain goat tag between- WY, MT, and ID?

Which State has the best goat hunting between-WY, MT, and ID?

And in that State which area is best?

I do realize that my chances of getting a mountain goat tag are pretty low in any state. But I know that if I never try then I will most certainly never get one. Please let me know what your thoughts regarding the questions above and your thoughts on mountain goat hunting in general for a beginner. And anyone who has gone mountain goat hunting and knows what it is like to try to draw for a tag year in and year out. I would love to hear your stories and see your pictures from your hunt if you don't mind sharing. Any wisdom that you have learned from your hunt that may help me avoid some beginners mistakes, it would be greatly appreciated! All info, input, and wisdom are appreciated! Thank you!!
Big question, how old are you? Im turning 72 and have been applying in all western states with sheep and goats for 20 years. I have max points in the majority of states and still have not drawn. Guess I'm not the lucky guy as I met a fellow in hunting camp in wyoming last year the dress 3 sheep tags in state draws that year. What are the odds?
If you can start young and don't mis a year as there is always "point creep" as everyone applies and gets preference points each year.
So the point is, keep applying and never mis an application year. And/or go to Canada where the outfitters have tags and you are guaranteed to be able to hunt. In that case save your money as it gets really expensive.
There are services like Carter's Huntn Fool that can apply for you for a nominal fee . They also have all the odds/stats at their finger tips. Also, agree with buying raffle tickets as it does increase your odds of drawing (never worked for me, but i'm mr. unlucky)
I killed a nice goat in BC in 98 as my second animal on a stone sheep hunt. Comparatively easy compared to the sheep but far from a walk in the park.
Don't smoke , be in shape

Join Epic Outdoors and they will send you all the info you need in a monthly magazine to apply to whatever species in all possible states. I wouldn't limit yourself to those 3 states. You want as many chances as possible

The thing about applying in the various 48 states is once you buy the annual hunting license (required to apply for draws) you may as well put in for multiple species vs just the goat. So it opens up many possibilities