Goat Hunting Experience

gigori779

After many years of applying for my goat license, My fishing trips to fish Silver Dollar Lake (about 12,000 feet), on the east side of the Divide, were also scouting trips for goats, although I didn't know it at the time.

When I received notice I had drawn, I began panicking just a bit because I knew absolutely nothing about hunting goats other than it's sometime easy to be very close to them and I was confident I would find them on Argentine Peak. At the lake, the closest I was to one is about ten feet.

In my notice about drawing, was an invitation to attend the goat/sheep hunting seminar hosted by the Division of Wildlife, as it was called at that time. I attended and found the information presented was useful (like the success rate for goats was 80 percent); however, the most useful information I got was in a room next to the seminar where outfitters, taxidermists and others selling this and that were located.

When you shoot a goat or sheep, you must take that animal to the DOW office within five days of the kill. DOW gathers biological information and asks you to indicate, on a map, approximately where you shot your animal.

One of the vendors (don't know if he is still doing this) buys this plotted information from DOW (I assume he buys it) then transfers it to large topographical maps arranged by goat/sheep units. Kill sites are indicated by small red circles. When I saw the large number of red circles directly on top of Argentine Peak and in unit 16 in general, I felt very confident I would get my goat. I believe I paid $35 for the map. This information may be available from DOW either for no charge or a charge.

So, my advice to you is to attend the seminar then locate this vendor.

Yes, I got my nanny opening morning. I hunted the early September season to avoid nasty weather.

Was this a nanny tag? or was it any goat? Curious why you didn't hold out for a billy only a few hours into the hunt.... although maybe this was a nanny tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts