Dall sheep or mountain goat - which is a better hunt?

EXPRESS

In terms of country, scenery, variety of game to see and watch for pleasure, challenge...

If the price was the same, and I realize that it isn't, (with some Dall hunts costing as much as double what some goat hunts go for) which would you chose?

I looked into both hunts in 2010 but never made the decision, partly because I wanted to hunt the goat with a full winter coat and the sheep are not in season then.

I am seriously thinking I should save for a good backcountry hunt with a reputable outfitter but want to hear opinions on the respective types of hunts.

Cheers!

scan0009.jpg

Dall Sheep would be my automatic choice. I've killed two of each and spend way more time looking at the Dall arms on my wall than the Mountain Goats. Just my opinion.....

I like sheep hunting more than goat hunting. I like sheep country better than goat country. The weather is often nicer and the terrain isn't as scary. Plus Dall sheep meat is much better than goat meat. If you shoot a goat, plan on grinding the entire thing into burger or you'll need dentures by the time you're done chewing on it. Plus the horns are more impressive.

Both hunts get you above treeline, hunting in the wide open spaces in the mountains. So both hunts are scenic and there are few pesky insects above treeline. Goats are often is harsher mountain terrain than sheep, which can become more hazardous to one's health and well being. The goat hunt might be a bit more physically challenging. Goats seem to live in their own world, oblivious to their surroundings. Sheep are more alert. Being in decent physical shape is a big advantage no matter which animal you hunt. If you're going on a guided hunt, you'll still need to get yourself around in the mountains, but the guide will be a big help in getting the game back to the lowland camp.

I don't have a sheep, but I have seen them on other hunts. Horseback for moose/caribou in NWT we saw several rams. I treasure my small billy above the rest of my trophies as it took collectively 30 years.
I'd book the Dall sheep in an area, that has goats available on a trophy fee, and add on if things broke my way. I know folks that have done this. A horseback style sheep hunt can cover a lot of ground, and you'll see other game as well as interesting part of the world.

Iam going to BC for goat in 2013, if am successful then it is stone or dall, but mtn goat been on my bucket list for years:)

I successfully hunted mtn. goat this past Oct. It is a physically demanding hunt whatever your age. They do indeed live in the nose bleed country that can be scary for those who do not care for open heights. Dall sheep is my next quest before I get too blasted old. Which ever hunt you decide I whole heartedly recommend getting in the best possible condition at altitudes above 6000 to 8000 feet and perhaps more. MTG

I booked mine for December when they are pushed lower to the tree line in BC, cant wait:) Taking my blaser 300win mag..........should be a good time:D

I like sheep hunting more than goat hunting. I like sheep country better than goat country. The weather is often nicer and the terrain isn't as scary. Plus Dall sheep meat is much better than goat meat. If you shoot a goat, plan on grinding the entire thing into burger or you'll need dentures by the time you're done chewing on it. Plus the horns are more impressive.

100% perfect post.

Despite the fact that some of the most impressive sights I have ever seen anywhere at any time were on my goat hunt (mid November 09), it was kind of anticlimactic walking up to a billy goat with horns just under 10" with bases slightly over 6" after killing rams with horn nearing 40" with over 14" bases. That coupled with the fact that (like Paul said) you will be grinding every ounce, including the tenderlion. Even after aging the meat. There is a reason I have killed 7 dall rams and only 1 goat. I could care less to ever shoot another goat.

So what do you want out of a hunt? Goats are more challenging due to the terrain, weather, ice etc....

Sheep are less challenging but seem to offer a longer adventure in a warm green environment. Warm, relatively speaking. You typically see more game and more of a variety of game on a sheep hunt. On my goat hunt I saw goats and small game. On sheep hunts I have seen sheep, goats, wolves, black bears, grizzly bears, moose, caribou, wolverines, with a variety of small game, falcons, eagles and hawks.

On both hunts, the better shape you are in, the higher the quality the experience.

Let us know what you decide.

I am hunting with Bolen Lewis in BC.
I just want a goat they are very cool looking, a goat and moose is my dream animals, I got a wolf this spring and after I go for moose and goat in 2013 Iam going for a grizzly in BC:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.