most accurate long range shotgun.

New to the NorthEast just picked up my Savage 220.
Just punching paper so far with Remington 2 3/4 Accu-Tips.
Shooting Sub MOA @ 100yds if you take out the flyers.

By flyers I mean 1 in 4 or 5 are clocking a significant lower MV closer to 1,300 compared to the 1,500/1,550 ... those lower velocity are dropping correspondingly @ 100yds and 150yds (per ballistics calcs)

Using MV and speed @ target(s), I am getting a BC of ~2.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else is experiencing the relatively high frequency of these lower speeds, and also if any one else had tried to figure out the BC from field data.

Once again, I contend the Browning A-Bolt shotgun is the best OFF-THE-SHELF rifled shotgun.

Anybody out there have anything better gun (that is not a custom slug gun)?

New to the NorthEast just picked up my Savage 220.
Just punching paper so far with Remington 2 3/4 Accu-Tips.
Shooting Sub MOA @ 100yds if you take out the flyers.

By flyers I mean 1 in 4 or 5 are clocking a significant lower MV closer to 1,300 compared to the 1,500/1,550 ... those lower velocity are dropping correspondingly @ 100yds and 150yds (per ballistics calcs)

Using MV and speed @ target(s), I am getting a BC of ~2.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else is experiencing the relatively high frequency of these lower speeds, and also if any one else had tried to figure out the BC from field data.
I have seen only occasional flyers of 1-1.5MOA but they are within the kill zone on a whitetail out to 200 yards so I'm not overly concerned. I use a BC of G1 of .175 at 1850 FPS.

My hr also only like the 3 inch. As far as inconsistent speed I had that problem but it wasn't showing up at distance. My f1 chronograph I believe was picking up the sabot. I had to move it out farther than normal or blast would give the err. With my magneto speed I'm only getting 60fps deviation.
on a different not I think I'm gonna have a full custom built off a savage action and try to work up loads that will out do accutips.

My hr also only like the 3 inch. As far as inconsistent speed I had that problem but it wasn't showing up at distance. My f1 chronograph I believe was picking up the sabot. I had to move it out farther than normal or blast would give the err. With my magneto speed I'm only getting 60fps deviation.
on a different not I think I'm gonna have a full custom built off a savage action and try to work up loads that will out do accutips.

please let us know how this goes ....

I have seen only occasional flyers of 1-1.5MOA but they are within the kill zone on a whitetail out to 200 yards so I'm not overly concerned. I use a BC of G1 of .175 at 1850 FPS.

1850 FPS? Are you using the manufacturer's FPS? or is that observed, from my understanding, the manufacturers us a 30" test barrel. Read in several articles that the actual FPS from a savage is a lot lower.

Remington Premier AccuTip Saboted Slug Ammunition

1850 should be close for the 3 inch. My accutips are getting 1820fps. That's where I've put my data at and so far so good. So with a different chamber 1850 is doable.

I bought a Benelli 12ga. 3"magnum semi auto slug gun. The scope mounts that come with the slug gun r junk. I replaced the weaver style rail with a steel rail part, steel Warne 1" permanent scope rings. Put a Leupold slug gun scope on the rig. Shoots very well. I experimented with different weight shotgun slugs.
In the Benelli
Remington Accutip 385gr.slug very good Strong recoil
Black Magic Bear 1 3/8 slug very good very strong recoil
Federal Trophy Copper 300gr. very good strong recoil
Benneke Magnum Crush 1 1/2 oz. very good very strong recoil
Fusion Deer Slugs 7/8oz. very good mild recoil

I favorite slugs were the Remington and the Fusion. the point of aim in up or down shot printing was + or - 2"
Shot gun slugs r expensive definitely a strong mind set to bench shoot. The Benelli is a extremely good slug gun. I am very happy the this rig. T U Mgun)All testing was done at 50 to 100yrds.

Last edited:
Morning I have shotgun slugs for sale:
9 boxes of Brenneke 3" Black Magic Magnum slugs 1 3/8oz 600grs.
Shows Bear on Front of Box
8 boxes of Brenneke 3" Magnum Crush Slugs 1 1/2oz 666grs Opal Slug B.E.T. wad
Shows deer on Front of Box
$10.00 per box of 5
Buyer pays $25.00 S&H

Larry Bettcher
Email
[email protected]lightbulb

Morning I have shotgun slugs for sale
9 Boxes of Brenneke Black Magic 3" magnum, bear on front. 1 3/8oz. slugs.
8 Boxes of Brenneke Magnum Crush 3" magnum deer on front. 1 1/2oz. Slugs
$10.00 for 5 round box.
$25.00 S$Hlightbulb

The H&R Ultra Slugster in 20 gauge is the best kept secret in the hunting world. For $200.00, at times even less, you can get a H&R Ultra Slugster. I tried several shotguns, including Ithaca's Deer Slayer III. It had a 26" heavy barrel with no taper. Ithaca discontinued that model and I believe are tapering the Deer Slayer III barrels now. The Deer Slayer III kicked the snot out of me, and accuracy was not near what it should have been. So, I sold it and just bought the H&R for the its simplicity. Not only is it simple, it drives tacks out to 100 yards, and is easily minute-of-deer out to 200 yards. I'd match my H&R 20 Gauge Ultra Slugster anytime against any rifle or shotgun that's set up to shoot slugs.

Magnumdude, I agree with on the H&R great price for a tack driver. I own one Ultra Deluxe, also own the Savage 220, both have the same scope and use the same ammo. The Savage gets my vote over the H&R:

More accurate, but not by much
lighter in weight
great trigger
handles like a rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.