most accurate long range shotgun.

I own a few slug guns in both 12ga & 20ga, and I love the 20ga. Out of the ones I own two of them are mentioned on here, the Savage 220f, and the H&R Ultra Deluxe. Both are set up with the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40, both using Remington AccuTip 3" the Savage groups better but not by much, the Savage gets the edge cause it handles like a rifle, great trigger, and lighter in weight. Also at 200 yds. the Savage takes the lead. I've taken my biggest buck with the H&R at 80 yds. neck shot, this was out in Illinois and all I had was a neck, dropped in it's tracks, two weeks later I was in my stand here in NJ and once more a neck shot at over 80 yds .

I would opt for the Savage 220f or if your a 12ga fan get the 212. Top either one off with a quality glass, and DNZ mounts

Here is my target at 100yds with my 220f, it's the group that is dead center on the solid orange line, ignore the other slug holes, also before/after pictures of my 220f I had this shotgun for a few years and had it hydro dipped this past spring

Attachments

• target 220.jpg
    target 220.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 205
  • savage 220f.jpg
    savage 220f.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 216
  • savage 220f dipped1.jpg
    savage 220f dipped1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 210
I own a Benelli M1 and use a True Glo "rifled choke", which is not a good idea for real accuracy. I get 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards from a bench with Federal slugs. Sabots do NOT work with this choke.

If I was forced to use a shotgun and slugs I'd buy a FULLY rifled barrel, likely a Benelli barrel, if they make one, given their high degree of quality. If not then I'd try for a Hastings.

Re: most accurate long range shotgun. A-Bolt

BUT... the Browning A-Bolt Shotgun with composite stock would be my choice if I was buying a competition slug gun. And yes, the Hornady SST rounds would be my 1st choice to try in this gun.

Mount a nice Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 1.75 - 5 X32 scope and you are in business.

This gun has it all including a great barrel.

So, What custom work have you guys done to your Slug guns? Did crowning the barrel help? Any custom barrels longer than 24" Hastings had a 26" heavy but I don't like the rate of twist of them. It's better with the "old heavy and slow slugs".

So far I have come up with nothing. My H&R makes one hole with no work so after talking with many smiths that are on this site and emailing pics none could say for certain. Here is the problem I now have I can hit my steel plate 8 inch tall by 6 inch wide at 213 yards every time. I will be attempting farther next weekend. The problem i see now is the bullet is losing its killing power fast at that distance. So more accuracy will only waste my money until faster ammo is available. So that being said I am thinking of purchasing a reloader for slugs. I have a great slug in mind that if I could get the same accuracy with more fps I will continue my improvements like cutting a crown. I dont know what limitations in speed I will have but I think I could improve over factory accutips speed. Any thoughts on this.

Sounds like your at the end maybe it's time to get a muzzleloader and start working up loads. Does anyone have negative affects when you shoot a 2 3/4" slug out of a 3" barrel? Just thinking about the slug jumping into the lands. Or no differences?

Sounds like your at the end maybe it's time to get a muzzleloader and start working up loads. Does anyone have negative affects when you shoot a 2 3/4" slug out of a 3" barrel? Just thinking about the slug jumping into the lands. Or no differences?

2-3/4" will have no ill effects cause the chamber size is up to 3" shells

Anyone have any luck reloading slugs. My thought is I could purchase cutting edge bullets like the .458 socom bullet and have them ground down to the 45 cal if necessary. If I could work up a load hotter than the factory accutips in shooting say 2100 or 2200 fps. Then if i could get the same accuracy I would be in. Problem is i have no experience in reloading slugs and dont know if this is possible or wishfull thinking.

I have a 212 Savage slug gun with hits on steel at 633 yards, using Winchester supreme elites 3", and have thrown dirt on 750 yard targets, running out of scope and the 5 dollar slugs! My gun uses an EGW base with a Horus Hawk scope, Leopold rings and is very consistent! All this of course was for giggles not actually hunting but it proved a lot to me!

I would like to start a discussion about how we could mame the most accurate shotgun. Currently I am using an H&R and accutips after trying all others. I am looking for ideas or suggestions to make it better. My list so far is simple, I am having a crown cut were there is none. That is all I can come up with. The trigger job creates some new problems with the safety so thats out. Any thoughts.

Hi snox I use a H&R ultra slug and after using a custom bansner slug gun.its just about as good although it can't touch it as far as range goes but **** that heavy barrel with accu tips will print cloverleaf's at 150 yards all day and is pleasant to shoot. but I must warn you accu tips have a misfire problem.I have had it happen more than once and I'm not alone.i heard its a headspace issue with those certain slugs never had an problem with copper solids and just about as accurate.as far as a trigger job's go I've done my own their pretty easy to do and have had no issues with the transfer bar safety.but h&r triggers have a notorious travel through where you you need to squeeze the trigger all the way back after the hammer falls if you don't trigger job or no trigger job the transfer bar fall out of battery and no bang.so back to the question say yes to a trigger job,mount some good glass on it and glass bed the barrel,glass bed the scope base down,use a bipod,and as far as energy goes I've dropped a lot of deer past the 250 yard mark with this setup. Sincerely John

my savage 220 shoots 3 shot one hole groups all day long off a rest at 100 yards. We stand up clay pigeons on the ground at 200 to 207 yards and I have not missed one yet. Running a burris fullfield II 4.5-14 on it. planning to updrade to a leupold cds. I have 2 kahles multizeros and I like the using the elevation to change distance more than reticles.

picture of typ 100 yard group

I am a krylon fan, my savage with a decent 8 pointer from last season at 152 yards. Killed about 11 deer with it so far, longest was a doe at 165 yards, all measured with my leica 900.

better pic

Last edited:
Cowboy,

I think you're right about that Browning A-Bolt shotgun. Likely the very best long range shotgun available.

If I were needing one for, say, New York state hunting, that is exactly the one I would get.

Sounds like lots of good setups. So far I've shot two cases of accutips with no misfire. Might start on the reloading this winter. I'll keep you guys informed

I think I'd have to go with my Ithaca M37 DeerSlayer it's a monster in the sticks, very accurate.
Cheer's

Attachments

• HPIM2885.jpg
    HPIM2885.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 186
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.