Long Range Shotgun for Coyotes

I did some more testing today with the 3.5" DC T and a full choke that measured .705" with my calipers. This was the factory Invector Plus full that came with my Maxus. Patterns were a bit wider at 20yds (which I wanted) and at 45 yards I got 19, then 22 shot in a 12" circle with the DC choke I only got 17 so I considered a 5 shot gain at that distance to be pretty good. The pattern with the .705" was much more uniform. Another thing I noticed is that with this choke I could hold dead on but with my DC choke I had to hold low left. As of now I'm going to use the full choke until I can test something that is close to the .680" Bowhunter57 suggested.

WV Sendero,
Since you're shooting a 3.5" chamber, I'd definately recommend that phone call to Carlson's. Most of the 3.5" chamberings are backbored...meaning, there's more room in and just past the chamber section of the barrel. This translates into better patterning, provided the choke/shot combinations are appropriate.

The .705" restriction has shown improvement, in both pellet count and uniform patterning. Again, most 3.5" chambered 12 gauge shotguns have a bore size that is slightly larger than the .728" of a standard 12 gauge bore. Having a larger bore allows for less restriction to get tighter patterns.
This may not be true of Browning shotguns, as it is with Mossberg's 835 Ulti-Mag.

Since the .705" is doing good, a .710" might be better. Experience speaks volumes with this sort of thing and Shane Carlson is the man.

Just the same, if you're happy with the way everything is performing as it is, then there may be no need to search any further.

Bowhunter57

WV Sendero,
Since you're shooting a 3.5" chamber, I'd definately recommend that phone call to Carlson's. Most of the 3.5" chamberings are backbored...meaning, there's more room in and just past the chamber section of the barrel. This translates into better patterning, provided the choke/shot combinations are appropriate.

The .705" restriction has shown improvement, in both pellet count and uniform patterning. Again, most 3.5" chambered 12 gauge shotguns have a bore size that is slightly larger than the .728" of a standard 12 gauge bore. Having a larger bore allows for less restriction to get tighter patterns.
This may not be true of Browning shotguns, as it is with Mossberg's 835 Ulti-Mag.

Since the .705" is doing good, a .710" might be better. Experience speaks volumes with this sort of thing and Shane Carlson is the man.

Just the same, if you're happy with the way everything is performing as it is, then there may be no need to search any further.

Bowhunter57

I'm going to email several choke manufacturers tonight and tell them my situation and see what they recommend and maybe call Carlson's on my next day off. I emailed patternmaster 2 days ago and still have not gotten a reply so they are falling fast on my list of chokes to try. I will continue to post updates on what I find out.

Patternmaster ended up emailing me back and gave me some good information and a recommendation of the Code Black Big Game. I decided to give it a try and got to test it out today. At 25 yards I had 43 in the 12in circle and at 45 yards I had an average of 27 with a best of 31 in the 12in circle. I am pretty happy with that pattern density and it also gave pretty uniform patterns. I had a few shot that flew out away from the main pattern but I don't think you could ever prevent that at 45 yards. This choke was about a .715" and had the wad stripping ridges. It was about a $90 choke but I think it was worth it. At 45 yards and a 12in circle it gave me 9 more shot than the factory full choke, and 14 more shot than the Dead Coyote tube.

WV Sendero,
I'm glad you found a choke tube that's getting the job done and giving you the performance that you've been looking to attain. :cool: Additions like this will greatly boost a coyote hunter's confidence, in the weapon of choice.

Bowhunter57

As the guys here have figured out, finding the right choke tube is more of a black art than science for us gun owners who don't have access to a testing lab.

It's not just the size of the choke, it's the relationship of the choke dia. to the I.D. of the shotgun bore, plus the taper in the choke tube and length of parallel.

Even a couple .001" difference in the bore size will make the choke tube perform differently.

Changing shot size will also change how the choke performs. Usually, larger shot size needs less constriction than smaller shot size.

There's no guarantee that two shotguns, of the same mfg and barrel length will pattern the same with the same load and choke tube. You have to test fire the gun with the load you'll be using at the intended impact distance to verify that the pattern is what you want.

Is anyone out there using shotguns for coyotes? What shells / choke are you using? Have you patterned it? I noticed that Dead Coyote Hevi Shot is about 3 times what lead costs. Is it worth it? I'm curious if plain ol lead would be just as good.

Thoughts???

Yes, model 1100 M or 870 Improved cyl 12 Ga. #4 shot . I don't worry about a pattern...
Also have rifle , Savage 308, but not on all set-ups.

morning, i use a yote carlson choke. the federal 3" #4 buckshot has 41 pellets, ive

had good results to 50yrs.

just country
life member NRA
life member TSRAlightbulb

Nothing that I have tried compares to the
Dead Coyote Shells from Hevishot. I use
a 12 gauge and combined with the Dead
Coyote shells IT'S LETHAL

If you are going to shoot at long range with a shotgun, you have to pattern it. Start out at 16 yards. Cheap ammo will work at this range. Fire three shots with whatever choke you want to use. By doing this you may learn that you need to change the cant in your stock, cheek weld, bad choke, or perhaps the vent isn't aligned properly. If your centered at 16 then move on out to 40 with the good stuff. Check out the Thread Coyote Shotgun Ammo And Choke Test. It has the results I found with my Remington Versa Max. Hopefully this will give you a good starting point. I also added an EO Tech sight. I absolutely love it. You know your pattern is dead nuts when you put the dot and circle on them. It's even cool when dove hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.