Mosquito Help Needed

From a man that has Malaria. Recipe also attached.

Go to an Asian grocery store. I have not found in other stores.
Purchase some "lemon grass" in stalk form. Bring home, hang on strings and dry. I usually purchase a couple pounds per year.

Before trip cut a 2# stalks into 3~4"pieces, separate leaves, set into a large bowl, fill with good water, set a plate on top and soak for a minimum of four hours.

Remove lemon grass, place onto a piece of cheese cloth, fold up. Place cheese cloth into the cavity of a chicken, sew closed. Rub salted mayonnaise on all skin, extra crispy skin. Roast chicken 20 minutes per pound, 280~320℉. Remove and toss the cheese cloth. I bring a chilled lemon grass chicken when I am camping, scouting, in camp eating when hunting. Easy to eat, no hassle.

With the lemon grass water. Pour through a coffee filter into a spray bottle. Spray your skin before getting dressed in morning. Toss some around the ground, tent and tables.

The lemon grass water is used in many bug repellents. It repels mosquitos, wasps, bees, flies, and bumbles bees. The lemon grass has citronella in it. When citronella is burned we cannot breath, as spray, no ill effects.
We have allergies, and the standard bug repellents cause asthma to set in.
Check to ensure no allergies before using.

Here in the SW we're experiencing an invasion of Asian Tiger Mosquitos (I *think* that's what they're called). We ran into what I suspect were them in the Owens Valley. They are extremely aggressive, Permethrin and DEET were good for maybe 45 minutes and then you needed to re-apply. One in our group is a mosquito magnet, I think I'll try the Thermacell.

Thermocell's work amazingly well. i was surprised. I don't really have to deal with mosquitos up here in CO but am from south LA and hunted down on ranches in south TX for years so I know mosquitoes, along with no see ums/redbugs, ticks and everything else. I find a good 40% deet like deepwoods off and that thermocell thing works like nothing else.

Here in the SW we're experiencing an invasion of Asian Tiger Mosquitos (I *think* that's what they're called). We ran into what I suspect were them in the Owens Valley. They are extremely aggressive, Permethrin and DEET were good for maybe 45 minutes and then you needed to re-apply. One in our group is a mosquito magnet, I think I'll try the Thermacell.
yeah those little tiny ones with the striped legs.. they will eat you ALIVE.

Be careful with thermacels. Had a friend that had the bright idea of clipping it to the front of overalls squirrel hunting. Having it under his face qept the mosquitoes off his face. Breathing vapors nonstop a couple of hours nearly killed him. We found him in the woods passed out. He recovered with fresh air in a few hours. Don't know the outcome if we hadn't missed and found him

Thanks all for the input. Thermacell on order so far. We hike in and glass from several vantage points during the day. Commonly an hour or two then move to get another angle basically spot and stalk. I have only had clouds like this in Eastern Montana shooting squirrels, and as soon as you got into the truck bed they go back to the grass. We had to take turns glassing out the tent door on day two. It took two of us do drop chow....one to spray deet or it felt like you were being branded. We will be making a couple trips in scouting/testing ways to keep them at bay. Yes, the bears we saw are well worth dealing with not being bled out.

Thermacell
I was a skeptic until we used them on the Alaskan peninsula for the spring hunts. I'm a believer now.
Also used them on the fall hunts in the Arctic for the white socks!
Lordy, I fished Alaska streams in the late 90's and early 20's. I will take a mosquito over the white socks!!!!! They would leave a blood drop where they bit you!!!

I searched with little luck for previous threads. We need some tested and proven ideas and help dealing with insane amounts of mosquitoes. Found a great bear area last year, and the Mosquitoes are in clouds. Not just a lot...literally a cloud around you. We either deal with them or stop going to this area. The bears are pretty nice we saw just the mosquitoes drove us out after three days. The only way we could keep them from biting us was face mesh, two layers of clothes, and constant (until we ran out) of deet spray. One of the kids had a small gap in his face mask and shirt. Looked like he was branded with a running iron over his shoulder in one day. One layer of clothes and they could and would bite right through where it was against the skin like shoulders, upper arms, etc. They would even bite through the mesh if it touched your neck or face. I found Sitka has some anti bug clothing. Anyone have some ways they have had success keeping them at bay and not cooking in thick clothing? Last year it was 70 degrees (Mid August) and we are hiking in the back country so physical effort is a must.
As others have said: two layers needed for loft, single one piece jumpsuit, remember some say pantyhose underneath works, soak chlothing with Sawyers, tape all clothing seams. 100% DEET-- which will destroy all paint and plastic, themocells, yes headnets over hat with a 360 brim.

If you are sitting still a thermacell and sometimes two will work wonders, but as someone pointed out don't directly breathe the vapors or Darwin might find you. If you are moving a physical barrier plus an application of something is the only choice. My work has me in wetlands with mosquitos and biting flies on a regular and on the job I use The Original Bug Shirt and its great since you can really seal it off at your waist. If its cool enough I just like the cheap Columbia fleece jackets since they provide loft that the suckers can't bite through.

I use Thermacell, I no longer dress for them or use spray. They are bad enough here that I won't hunt without one, but not so bad as you describe.

I searched with little luck for previous threads. We need some tested and proven ideas and help dealing with insane amounts of mosquitoes. Found a great bear area last year, and the Mosquitoes are in clouds. Not just a lot...literally a cloud around you. We either deal with them or stop going to this area. The bears are pretty nice we saw just the mosquitoes drove us out after three days. The only way we could keep them from biting us was face mesh, two layers of clothes, and constant (until we ran out) of deet spray. One of the kids had a small gap in his face mask and shirt. Looked like he was branded with a running iron over his shoulder in one day. One layer of clothes and they could and would bite right through where it was against the skin like shoulders, upper arms, etc. They would even bite through the mesh if it touched your neck or face. I found Sitka has some anti bug clothing. Anyone have some ways they have had success keeping them at bay and not cooking in thick clothing? Last year it was 70 degrees (Mid August) and we are hiking in the back country so physical effort is a must.
That's Alaska, for sure. We used the same techniques, don't know of any others.