Western black bear help

muleyhunter13

I have been dreaming of hunting black bears in the mountains of Idaho/Montana for years, but for some reason I have yet to do so. I decided I am going no matter what in 2023 (must be a midlife crisis thing). I'm in good to great shape so hiking in and spike camping is something I have done for both deer and elk. My issue is I don't know where to start my pursuit. Not looking for someone to give up their honey hole, but I am asking for guidance. Are any units better than others? Do I focus my E-scouting at a certain elevation? Are burns any good, if so how old? Should I focus on certain facing slopes? The seasons are open for a fair amount of time, is there a good better best time of season?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Best time last 10 days of may, the east front of the rockies has bears out sooner, the little belts the bears are a little later. Both places you can spot bears from your pickup in lots of spots. Spotting a bear can be the easy part, getting in range while the bear is still in the open is another deal. Being able to shoot accurately at long range is a huge plus.

Last edited:
I have been dreaming of hunting black bears in the mountains of Idaho/Montana for years, but for some reason I have yet to do so. I decided I am going no matter what in 2023 (must be a midlife crisis thing). I'm in good to great shape so hiking in and spike camping is something I have done for both deer and elk. My issue is I don't know where to start my pursuit. Not looking for someone to give up their honey hole, but I am asking for guidance. Are any units better than others? Do I focus my E-scouting at a certain elevation? Are burns any good, if so how old? Should I focus on certain facing slopes? The seasons are open for a fair amount of time, is there a good better best time of season?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You thinking spring or fall?

I can't say much for Idaho but I'd been persuin the bruin pretty diligently every year since 1978 in Montana.

Spring bears is as much about timing as anything, come to early for the area you choose and it'll be a tough hunt. Choose too late and there is green everywhere and it can make it tough to find them as they have grub everywhere!

For NWMT I'd definately go as late as the season allows. If I recall right the season up there closes the 15th of May or some silly thing like that. If anything that's when the darn season should open up there!

For SWMT and Central Mt no doubt I'd time my hunt to be here the 13th thru the 21st (I wouldn't come any earlier than the 7th or so). I would NOT hunt Memorial Day weekend as there can be a ton load of people out camping etc then.

Lastly keep in mind for Mt, there a couple units that are quota units and personally I'd avoid them!

Best of luck to ya!

Recent Posts