Mosquito Help Needed

Reelamin

I searched with little luck for previous threads. We need some tested and proven ideas and help dealing with insane amounts of mosquitoes. Found a great bear area last year, and the Mosquitoes are in clouds. Not just a lot...literally a cloud around you. We either deal with them or stop going to this area. The bears are pretty nice we saw just the mosquitoes drove us out after three days. The only way we could keep them from biting us was face mesh, two layers of clothes, and constant (until we ran out) of deet spray. One of the kids had a small gap in his face mask and shirt. Looked like he was branded with a running iron over his shoulder in one day. One layer of clothes and they could and would bite right through where it was against the skin like shoulders, upper arms, etc. They would even bite through the mesh if it touched your neck or face. I found Sitka has some anti bug clothing. Anyone have some ways they have had success keeping them at bay and not cooking in thick clothing? Last year it was 70 degrees (Mid August) and we are hiking in the back country so physical effort is a must.

I searched with little luck for previous threads. We need some tested and proven ideas and help dealing with insane amounts of mosquitoes. Found a great bear area last year, and the Mosquitoes are in clouds. Not just a lot...literally a cloud around you. We either deal with them or stop going to this area. The bears are pretty nice we saw just the mosquitoes drove us out after three days. The only way we could keep them from biting us was face mesh, two layers of clothes, and constant (until we ran out) of deet spray. One of the kids had a small gap in his face mask and shirt. Looked like he was branded with a running iron over his shoulder in one day. One layer of clothes and they could and would bite right through where it was against the skin like shoulders, upper arms, etc. They would even bite through the mesh if it touched your neck or face. I found Sitka has some anti bug clothing. Anyone have some ways they have had success keeping them at bay and not cooking in thick clothing? Last year it was 70 degrees (Mid August) and we are hiking in the back country so physical effort is a look them up.
wearing this suit I hunted near lake Okeechobee surrounded by swamp the mosquitoes were horrendous, but I survived!

Last edited:
I searched with little luck for previous threads. We need some tested and proven ideas and help dealing with insane amounts of mosquitoes. Found a great bear area last year, and the Mosquitoes are in clouds. Not just a lot...literally a cloud around you. We either deal with them or stop going to this area. The bears are pretty nice we saw just the mosquitoes drove us out after three days. The only way we could keep them from biting us was face mesh, two layers of clothes, and constant (until we ran out) of deet spray. One of the kids had a small gap in his face mask and shirt. Looked like he was branded with a running iron over his shoulder in one day. One layer of clothes and they could and would bite right through where it was against the skin like shoulders, upper arms, etc. They would even bite through the mesh if it touched your neck or face. I found Sitka has some anti bug clothing. Anyone have some ways they have had success keeping them at bay and not cooking in thick clothing? Last year it was 70 degrees (Mid August) and we are hiking in the back country so physical effort is a must.
Check out Thermacell unit you can hunt in shorts and no shirt with one of these units,
Works great for us down here in Florida. We have mosquitoes that could stand flat, footed and rape a turkey.

I have been in a few similar situations where the blood suckers have swarmed. I haven't used the thermacell but have heard they work just about as good as some over the counter bug spray. If you're not worried about scent you can pre-apply some Permethrin to your clothing before you head out. Most of it is good for several weeks.