Looking for my first semi-auto shotgun

Today I carry my 391s all over the world, where auto guns are allowed. My 20ga sporting, silver side, ported gun has over 60k rounds through it. I usually go to Argentina for 10 days, per trip. I also shoot a Citori 20ga 525 sport, ported 32" with adjustable comb and the 391, but shoot the Citori for a higher shell count, comes from learning to shoot with a single shooter. There are two autos that go to Argentina and come back, come back and come back, the way they went, the Benelli and the Beretta. There is nothing in the world tougher than the two. The 20ga Beretta as a gas gun must be cleaned about twice as much but is very soft shooting, a big item if shooting 1k in the morning and 1k in the afternoon. Plus the loading port on the 20ga Beretta is wider and the the shell catch is hinged with a spring, the Benelli 20ga is a bear trap and will eventually give you a Benelli Thumb in a hot gun shoot, grabs your thumb and digs into the thumb. The costs to have a 391 cleaned in Argentina is $5 or you can work a trip deal for 2x per day. I clean my guns myself.

Took my son to Argentina with me when he returned from a busy Pararescue deployment in Iraq. He carried one of my 20ga sets, I carried the other 20ga set, he had a pretty sporty shell bill and the Duty Free took a solid strike. Taking a daughter or son whom is a wing shooter to Argentina is a real treat for the old man. If you ever have a chance, do it.
Ed

It has been a number of years since I have been close to latest shotguns but I always voted Beretta. Simplicity and engineering are amazing. My A390 synthetic is still my go to duck gun, ran my first 25 in skeet with it. When I shot skeet competitively it was amazing how many shooters would put their megabuck away for the 12 ga event and break out a 26" 1100. I have owned multiple 1100's, great guns but I never liked all the stamped steel parts and the o-rings. My choice of tactical shotguns is an 11-87. If I keep it clean and well oiled with the right lube it is hard to imagine how fast you can unload it on target. I have shot Golds, very nice shooting guns but I thought mechanism was complicated. Comments about fit are important, maybe most important depending on what kind of shooting you do. But for me the Beretta shim system got me where I needed to be even if I had to use some shotgun shell hull plastic to get me there over factory shim adjustability. I used to be a member at Detroit Gun Club and many moons ago they had a local gunsmith who worked magic on these triggers, and since most all the parts are chrome plated you could buy stainless steel cleaning brushes to chuck in a drill and everything cleans up super easy with no liquid.

Benelli's are obviously great guns, but most people believe gas guns are easier on recoil.

I did try a pump 3.5" gun, a Mossburg. After just a few shots I had a bruise on my shoulder like nothing I have ever experienced. I don't see the need for 3.5" but I also am not familiar with turkey hunting.

Just my opinion.

JB

Your budget allows you to buy just about anything you want if you're willing to get a used gun. If you insist on new, the pickings are a bit slimmer.Someone earlier mentioned going with any of the" B" guns and I'd echo that. Many of the others are good too, but there are always parts available and smiths to tweak the "B" guns, if you need them. I've used my old M1S90 Benelli since the 90's and it's never failed me. Fits me fine too. If possible, try everything you're thinking about. If it doesn't fit or feel right, keep looking.

Also, if shooting heavy loads there is a big difference between gas operated and inertia operated shotguns when it comes to recoil.
You know that the Remington Model #1100 comes in a variety of flavors and Bbl. lengths. You could actually buy a second bbl say for use as a deer rifle(Slug gun) and one bbl. with a vented rib and a modified choke and be ready for just about any hunting situation that will arise. Plus it is made here in the United States ! Remington still makes a quality semi-auto shotgun>

<SNIPPED STUFF> I have a brand new never fired Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Sporting 12 Ga. Still in the case with everything for sale or trade?
BUY THIS! Seriously. Super reliable. Soft kick. High quality. Amazing gun. I've owned and shot 12ga and 20ga AL391s since they first came out. Their quality and reliability just blew me away. I've NEVER had either gun fail to cycle, even with some of my 'questionable' reloads. If I'm not shooting my Over/Unders (O/U's), I'm shooting the AL391 (more often the 20ga these days; seems it 'kills' just a well, without all the pushing and shoving of the 12ga.)

Here's the scoop: Are you going to Alaska to hunt ducks and geese? Then you want a Benelli Super Black Eagle (SBE) III. That's it. Most reliable gun to be had. But it cost far more than $1000. In theory, the Stoeger you are considering is using the 'same' operating system. I just have no experience w/the Stoeger 3500 so can't say if it actually works out to be as reliable and durable as the Benelli SBE guns. The "INERTIA" operating system of the SBE (and Stoeger) is generally considered to be 'fool-proof' and super reliable. But the kick...ugh. Not worth it to me ever since Beretta (and many others) came out with RELIABLE gas-guns which kick much softer.

The 'old' Remington 1100 was a soft shooting gun. And the stock fit was 'universal' for most Americans, so you could really shoot them well. But their reliability as they aged and got higher round counts would drop. That's why Remington came out with the Versa Max which operates the action in a different way than the old 1100s. The Remington V3 extends that concept and is FAMOUS for it's soft kick. If I was going to get a 12ga now, I might look at this gun. But I would have to handle it and see it in the store personally to be sure everything was put together properly as Remington QC is not the best lately (which is sad; awesome company just going through a rough stretch at the moment.)

So if recoil doesn't bother you, then get the Stoeger 3500. In theory, it should work like a champ for you. If (like most of us) recoil is an issue, then get a MODERN gas-gun such as the Win SX-3 or SX-4; Remington Versa Max or V3; or - my favorite - the Beretta AL391 or 'newer' versions of that system, like the Extrema.

And if recoil is a real issue (as it seems to become as we 'mature' into older bodies) do NOT feel under-gunned getting a 20 gauge! With modern ammo, it really can 'do-it-all' without beating the c-r-a-p out of you.

Another vote for the Franchi Affinity I held 20+ shotguns in one day at an outdoors show and it fit me best .Shim system helped walk the pattern in the last little bit and now it points and shoots like an extension of me. Never had a hang up with target loads even when it was new. The inertia system is great, a few 1,000 rounds in and I haven't cleaned it yet.

Haven't had any problems with recoil on my 5.5lbs gun, but it's also a 20 gauge .

Last edited:
Thank you all for the recommendation and insights to all the various semi-auto shotguns on the market today. I plan to go and shoulder as many as I can before making a decision, and that will include the Beretta A400 series, even though it is a very pricey shotgun. I will hit the Remmy's and Winchester as well. The recoil doesn't bother me right now, I am used to my Mossberg pump, no recoil reduction there, using 3" magnums, although I don't want to shoot them 50 times a day. I hope to have decision and purchased by at least first of summer and be ready for Dove season in TX.

Thank you all for the recommendation and insights to all the various semi-auto shotguns on the market today. I plan to go and shoulder as many as I can before making a decision, and that will include the Beretta A400 series, even though it is a very pricey shotgun. I will hit the Remmy's and Winchester as well. The recoil doesn't bother me right now, I am used to my Mossberg pump, no recoil reduction there, using 3" magnums, although I don't want to shoot them 50 times a day. I hope to have decision and purchased by at least first of summer and be ready for Dove season in TX.
Just want to say that a400 would be a great choice! I'm using their a350 xtrema and I really enjoy it. Mine does not have the kick off system but I'm quite sure the 400 does. I have to say 3in. Not a problem for me 50 times a day ,but 3.5 is a bit rough!

I bought my rem 1100 3" in 1964 or 65, together with a skeet barrel with cutts comp on, found a lyman adjustable choke that fits the comp and for many years that was my go to for wild fowl and pigeons.
I changed over to sxs with a win mod 23 12g, a darne v19 12g and a w&c scott 10 gauge mag. For 5 years I also had a tolley 8 gauge double but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse for it.
My 1100 still shoots clays, pigeons and ducks on my lease and I wouldn't change it. It's still on it's original piston, ring and o ring and I've stripped off the shiny varnish and oil finished the stock after sanding off the crap impressed checkering.
My youngest son still uses the 1100 for skeet and sporting clays and the gun club I belong to borrows it when they have open days. I use it in Scotland for decoyed geese.
I've no idea how many shells it has fired but it's never jammed and cycles every shell I put through it, steel, lead and bismuth. Lightest loads are 28gm (1 ounce?) and heaviest WW XX 17/8 ounce in the 3" barrel (that barrel doesn't like light loads though).
I'd say get a used 1100 and any amount of barrels in your budget, my 3" barrel is 1/4 choke and with WW short magnums in 6 shot lead or 3" eley lightnings with "our" size no 3 shot steel it is a 50 yard duck gun, if I go decoying I use the skeet barrel with the adjustable turned to 1/4 and WW short mags with lead 4 shot for geese or eley short magnums with our no3 lead shot. Recoil is negligible compared to my win mod 23
(BTW lead is still legal in scotland away from watercourses)

I have the Stoeger 3500.
Shoots the 3 1/2 shell. Price is good.
ONLY thing I don't like about it that they do not make a Deer slug barrel.
No after market barrels made for it anywhere. I have no idea why.
Something to think about if you like to deer hunt and shoot a round of skeet with the deer slug barrel.
I shoot about 6 rounds of skeet with my old browning Auto 5 deer slug barrel and it works great for me. Gets me ready for quail and grouse in heavy cover with a bird dog. Only bad thing about the stoger shotguns no deer slug barrel . Marty

They do make a rifle slug barrel.

https://www.shopstoeger.com/33590.html

I think I have made my decision on which semi-auto, I will be getting a Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro, this is Remington new Shotgun for 2019. I like the Patriot Brown Cerakote with Realtree Timber. I went to Academy yesterday, they had a lot of shotguns to shoulder, the Remington V3 in Camo felt very nice, the next in line that felt very nice was the Franchi Affinity 3.5, they did not have the Affinity 3. I also shouldered a Stoeger M3000, Beretta A300, Benelli Montefelro and an ATA. They were all nice guns, it came down to a lot of research online, a lot of it was from Randy Wakeman reviews on all the ones I mentioned, except for the ATA. In the end a lot of reviews on the Remington V3 came out as the softest recoil on all of them and a better trigger, the Franchi Affinity shouldered as good and was light to carry, but it came down to recoil and warranty, plus American made that won me over. The V3 Waterfowl Pro has a few more enhancements over the Standard V3, the Pro version has a Hi Vis fiber optic site, which is what I wanted, a more open port for loading, Cerakote receiver and barrel, another item I wanted, the charging handle and receiver button enlarged from the V3, another plus. It will come with shims, three extended chokes, choke wrench and a sling. As of now none of the online retailers have the Patriot Brown Cerakote with Realtree Timber, they mostly are carrying the Burnt Bronze with Realtree Max5 or Blades, the one retailer I did find with it has it as out of stock. I have read Remington produced the Burnt Bronze with Max5 and Blades first and is in the process of starting the Patriot Brown version to get it out to the distributors. I probably will not buy until around July timeframe so that works out for me. I asked Academy when they will be receiving them, but nobody can give me an answer other than check the website on when it is available from there distributors.. I asked if they could order it for me, the answer was it would be a higher price if we ordered it as a specialty item, better to wait until it is available on the website, it would come at a better price. I thought I would update on what I decided, I have been on several forums with people asking for advice and some never acknowledge what they chose, I am always curious as to what they came away with so if anyone out there is like me in that aspect, I have decided on the Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.