Anybody have a Mossberg semi auto shotgun with rilfed barrel?

engineer40

I've been whitetail hunting with a Remington 870 with rifled barrel for years. The area of Michigan I hunt, is shotgun only. (Also straight walled cartridges that are less than 1.8 inches in length).

Anyways a few weeks back I picked up a Mossberg JM 930 Pro, just for fun. One of my friends has one and I always enjoyed how much less it recoiled being a semi auto.

Normally it holds 10 rounds. When reading through the book it came with, it's super easy to convert to hunting (limited to 5 rounds with semi autos in Michigan). You just take the extension tube off.

That got me thinking. I jumped online and saw that you can get a rifled barrel for this shotgun for a couple hundred dollars.

I don't think there is a huge difference between this Mossberg semi auto and their other versions. Has anyone tried sabot slugs through their Mossberg rifled barrels? How did it perform? I couldn't find much information. I don't think that Mossberg is a normal "go to" for shotgun slug hunting.

Thanks!

You know what... you guys can disregard this question. Once I thought about it more, I really don't have a want or need for another rifled slug barrel on a shotgun.

I would be better off putting the money towards a 450 Bushmaster upper for a 2nd deer gun.

Thanks!

Ive been leaning away from slug hunting because I cant reload for them. And my reloads always seem much more accurate than any store bought ammo I buy.

Not to mention that the good sabot slugs are so expensive, I dont feel like I can practice with them as much as Id like to.

But honestly, if we ever go shooting together, Im sure you would make a believer out of me! Life has been busy. Tonight was the first time Ive shot one of my rifles in months!

The first deer I ever shot when I was 14 was with a HR 20 gauge, but smooth barrel. No scope, just the bead on the barrel. I also still have a HR 30-30 from when I was a kid. Ive always had good luck with their firearms.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.