Loading a bullet to slowest speeds 7mm prc vs 280 AI

I shoot heavy rifles, or at least on the heavier end of average. I like a fully decked out gun with scope to be between 10 and 11 lbs. Tames recoil and is much more pleasant to shoot, and I am much more accurate with the weight. I'll pay a two lb or so penalty for that and I'll take that trade off any day of the week.

I've also noticed that some powders kick more than others. I have a 280 Ackley that shoots N560 and one that shoots Retumbo, similar speeds, and the N560 kicks much more. The Retumbo load is more of a gentle push. Both shoot the 168 Bergers at just over 3k.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of light loads.

I'm in the school of having more than one rifle.
Amen! How many rifles does a guy need? At least one more!! Then after he gets that one more? The answer is the same…at least one more!

Also agree. Love heavier bullets for BC/SD advantages. I tend to shoot them better as well. Also the node just below max always seems to be the best combo of accuracy and power for me.

I shoot a 5.5 lb Browning Mountain Titanium in 7mm WSM with a 23" barrel. With homemade Safari sling and 13 oz. Leupold scope it weighs a bit more than 6.5 lbs. It is a joy to carry. At the range I use two shoulder pads. A Past brand pad (that broke on a cold day shooting heavy loads from my muzzleloader) with a gel pad over that. I shoot 168 VLD Bergers at 2850 fps. Plenty accurate, and it drops elk in their tracks (at least to 340 yards). I've found when shooting off the bench If I can sit up straight and not lean into the gun, the recoil is moderate. Sitting behind sticks is the same. When hunting, it doesn't kick at all. After all, it is only one shot, right? My handloads are noticeably softer recoil and more accurate than factory rounds. At 7,000 ft. elev. it has 1974 ft-lbs. energy at 500 yards, and 1492 at 800 yds. It about 10% better at 10,000 ft. When I shot hot rounds in a 7mm RM, I would put a sandbag behind the butt of the rifle when at the range. Kicked the heck out of that sandbag, but didn't hurt me at all.

Well the answer is unless I build a custom gun with say a terminus Zeus Acrion where I could spin on 3 lbs proof carbon fiber barrel and in 2 mins swap barrels to a 7.5 lbs steel barrel .. after getting a manners stock .. $5000 later .. the answer is I need 2 rifles .. will prob get a tikka t3 light or a savage 110 ultralite in the new 7 prc.. then maybe a Springfield 2020 6.5 prc for the range. But even then, those are only a pound apart I should just hit the gym hard and suck up for elk hunts.

The other factor besides weight that was factoring in is I don't want to shoot out my hunting gun. I don't plan on taking over 1000 game shots in my life and would like to have 1 gun that's light enough and short enough that it's a joy to carry with a can so a 20-22" barrel. After all how much recoil do you feel when shooting at game unless it's an ultralight 300 wm it's not likely to leave a mental recoil scar that will lead to future flinching.

Cold bore shots will be the priority, so I need to do some digging on the tikka t3 lite vs savage's 110 proof barrel. But then again why pay $800 more street price for a carbon fiber barrel with a heavier contour if you only need one shot? When the weights are 5.8 lbs for savage and 6.4 for tikka .. will prob wait it out through shot show and hope tikka comes out with a carbon fiber barrel and/ or picks up some new bona fide elk calibers besides the 7mm mag and 300 win mag such as the 280 ai, 7prc, 300 prc. Because their action is a joy, and the savage is for me … blahhh

I need 2 rifles .. will prob get a tikka t3 light or a savage 110 ultralite in the new 7 prc.. then maybe a Springfield 2020 6.5 prc for the range. But even then, those are only a pound apart I should just hit the gym hard and suck up for elk hunts.
It is never a bad thing to hit the gym more when prepping for elk hunting.
What is your self imposed max distance when hunting and shooting from a field position?

The thing I found best for getting in elk hunting shape was carrying a 45 lb. pack for 3 miles. I would do that a few times a week for a month or two before the hunt. Made the hunts much more enjoyable. Pack straps didn't hurt, and calves didn't burn. My problem now is that my knees are bad, so I can't do that like I used to. I love my light rifle, and I'll never go back to a heavy.

The thing I found best for getting in elk hunting shape was carrying a 45 lb. pack for 3 miles. I would do that a few times a week for a month or two before the hunt. Made the hunts much more enjoyable. Pack straps didn't hurt, and calves didn't burn. My problem now is that my knees are bad, so I can't do that like I used to. I love my light rifle, and I'll never go back to a heavy.
I'm 75 & my knees feel 20 years older. Hip joints maybe a decade.

Other than that fortune has smiled on me; I'm lucky & know it.

My hands & wrists work well. Right elbow a little worse than the other. Shoulders original & good - not great but what the heck is after three quarters of a century.

Neck complains after decades checking six & clearing turns. Back is about like shoulders.

Lost 30+ lbs (190 >> upper 150's) since January. On purpose, all belly fat. Diet more than exercise.

Easier getting up from prone & chairs, tie shoes easier, improved endurance.

Biggest takeaways: Daily stretching makes a big difference - I stretch lying in bed when I wake. Daily moderate exercise through every joint's range of motion helps, for me

Drink lots of water - you have to pee frequently but everything else is worth it. Many of us live in a state of moderate dehydration. Everything (body & mind) works better adequately hydrated & cold water helps with hunger pangs.

I now keep powdered Gatoraide(tm) on hand & mix it into bottled water @ one-third strength. 1 of these a day is plenty unless you're working hard & sweating.

YMMV. Listen to your care providers - I'm a care receiver. Walk, climb stairs & lift weights to the degree you can. I appreciate the wisdom, knowledge (different things) & company here & want my fellow hunters to stick around.

I've also noticed that some powders kick more than others. I have a 280 Ackley that shoots N560 and one that shoots Retumbo, similar speeds, and the N560 kicks much more. The Retumbo load is more of a gentle push. Both shoot the 168 Bergers at just over 3k.

Can anyone explain different powders having a notable difference in recoil fro. The same cartridge?

Not doubting it just not familiar with that.

I've always believed that recoil difference in a given cartridge choice is a direct effect from projectile weight or rifle weight.
A heavier payload creating more recoil but a heavier rifle can mitigate recoil a little.

One reason I ask is my brother has a Browning A Bolt in .308 that has snappy recoil, it's not pleasant if you compare with another .308

Can anyone explain different powders having a notable difference in recoil fro. The same cartridge?

Not doubting it just not familiar with that.

I've always believed that recoil difference in a given cartridge choice is a direct effect from projectile weight or rifle weight.
A heavier payload creating more recoil but a heavier rifle can mitigate recoil a little.

One reason I ask is my brother has a Browning A Bolt in .308 that has snappy recoil, it's not pleasant if you compare with another .308
Burn rates is the most obvious answer but in reality, it goes beyond that including things like load density and percentage of burn.

Rule of thumb though is the bigger the flash the stouter the recoil.

Last edited: