Loading a bullet to slowest speeds 7mm prc vs 280 AI

DREBS

Ok so yes I know the 7mm prc is on paper 200 fps faster .. I've looked at the ballistics and I don't mind the 280 AI "if" I can push it to max velocity.. HOWEVER as we all know accuracy might occur 80 fps down off max velocity. I'm going to be getting to low there to justify the 280 ai over the 7mm prc

I don't need a list of cons or pro's I know them all my question is simpler and one I've never considered…

As this will be in a savage 110 ultralite at 5.8 lbs I would want to load this round down for target shooting and up for hunting .. I can realistically see a couple extra hundred rounds at least over the barrel life doing this..

I have experience with loading to max but not purposefully loading down . My benefits will be longer barrel life less recoil when shooting and not hunting.

The question revolves around case capacity and I have x,y,x powders and they are poor case fill capacity's am I looking at accuracy issues or any other issues I'm looking to run into that I'm not aware of, maybe higher es leading to poor accuracy? If so I suppose I could find another powder that fills better and groups . Ideally I'd like to get the reloading guide for a given bullet and load it to the slowest powder near the "min" starting point but obviously this is the opposite of what most people do so anyone been in the vein ? Have any advice ?

You should check out this blog about the 7 PRC. Arron Davis from GUNWERKS talks about everything that you are wondering about. My advice is don't try and make the 280 Ackley something it's not. It's easier to load down than to shoot something extremely hot. I just build a 280 Ackley this year and don't think it would be close to a 7 PRC. The other problem is the bolt head is a different size, you will need to get a magnum for the PRC. Also the biggest factor is to find the bullet that you want and see what speed and energy at the distance you will be shooting at with a ballistic calculator. This will tell you exactly what caliber would be best for you.
Best of luck with your caliber choice,
Jason

My .280 ai is a semi custom and I shot 2 good groups from 2 Tikkas that had been re-barreled.
No wind but pretty happy with the results.

I'm using ADI brand AR2213sc. There is a Hogdon equivalent that is produced here by ADI.

Sounds like you are leaning toward a .280ai already.
It's an established bona fide hunting round.

I've taken a few Fallow deer with this combo.
IMG_20220223_201713.jpg

yes but after watching this video Aaron Davidson of gunwerks.. you can take his word as gospel. They state that a 5.5 lbs 280 ai is the equivalent to a 9 lbs 28 Nosler in terms of recoil .. really makes me question. Don't get me wrong for a elk no worries but he even stated he quit hunting with his because the recoil was so unmanageable.. I think I'll just have to go just bit heavier on a rifle… it will be suppressed but I understand that only tames 20% I want to be able to shoot this at the range too.. maybe between loading it down and the suppressor I'll be fine will have to run the recoil charts tomorrow

I think I'll just have to go just bit heavier on a rifle… it will be suppressed but I understand that only tames 20%
Not all suppressors are created equal; it might be a higher recoil reduction than you think.
... maybe between loading it down and the suppressor I'll be fine will have to run the recoil charts tomorrow
^^^This!^^^ You already know that your overall rifle weight set-up is your friend regarding recoil. Good luck!

Ok so yes I know the 7mm prc is on paper 200 fps faster .. I've looked at the ballistics and I don't mind the 280 AI "if" I can push it to max velocity.. HOWEVER as we all know accuracy might occur 80 fps down off max velocity. I'm going to be getting to low there to justify the 280 ai over the 7mm prc

I don't need a list of cons or pro's I know them all my question is simpler and one I've never considered…

As this will be in a savage 110 ultralite at 5.8 lbs I would want to load this round down for target shooting and up for hunting .. I can realistically see a couple extra hundred rounds at least over the barrel life doing this..

I have experience with loading to max but not purposefully loading down . My benefits will be longer barrel life less recoil when shooting and not hunting.

The question revolves around case capacity and I have x,y,x powders and they are poor case fill capacity's am I looking at accuracy issues or any other issues I'm looking to run into that I'm not aware of, maybe higher es leading to poor accuracy? If so I suppose I could find another powder that fills better and groups . Ideally I'd like to get the reloading guide for a given bullet and load it to the slowest powder near the "min" starting point but obviously this is the opposite of what most people do so anyone been in the vein ? Have any advice ?
They made the 6.5 prc for guys like you

Loading down doesn't gain you much with either cartridge. Find where it shoots the best and don't worry about it. I shoot a 280AI 7lbs as my main hunting gun with 175 Berger elites suppressed. Recoil isn't enough to worry about, but it does recoil enough that I can't see my hits at 4-500 yards. With a muzzle break I can see my hits. Realistic velocities with accuracy with 160-175 gr bullets are going to be 2825-2925 with 24-inch barrel

I have a 9 pound 28, loaded, bipod and sling on, it is truly awful to shoot. No brake or suppressor. I don't mind shooting it at something, but shoot it just to shoot it? Nope. It has a really good recoil pad or it would be a one shot no thank you not shooting it again period rifle. You cannot spot your own impacts at 1000 with it.

I have a plain 280 that is right at 8 pounds with a poor recoil pad and it gets nasty with upper end loads of 160 plus grain bullets, no brake or suppressor on it either. 130's loaded to warp 11 are not bad at all. Light bullets and fast (relatively) powders are the only way to substantially reduce recoil in a very light rifle in my experience.

Add weight or a brake/suppressor, I would do both. The velocity of the recoil and the violence of the recoil from very light (relatively speaking) rifles is hard to deal with. Even just 3 pounds makes a huge difference in whether or not the rifle is shootable. To me 6 pounds vs 9 pounds is a no-go, I will find a way to shave 3 more pounds off me or my gear before I ever considered a magnum class rifle that light again. I put 280AI in the lower end of magnum class rifles.

Loading down doesn't gain you much with either cartridge. Find where it shoots the best and don't worry about it. I shoot a 280AI 7lbs as my main hunting gun with 175 Berger elites suppressed. Recoil isn't enough to worry about, but it does recoil enough that I can't see my hits at 4-500 yards. With a muzzle break I can see my hits. Realistic velocities with accuracy with 160-175 gr bullets are going to be 2825-2925 with 24-inch barrel
Is that 7lbs scoped and suppressed or bare rifle weight?
What suppressor are you using?
I have a sub 6lb (8lbs 10oz scoped, suppressed, and loaded) 7-300 wsm wearing a Nomad LT muffler.
Spotting impacts with 180s is super easy

7ish with scope. Using harvester 300 suppressor probably 8lbs and a few once's with everything. At 600 I can see impacts it's the in between ranges there's just enough recoil to miss the impact

They made the 6.5 prc for guys like you
Unfortunately they didn't make the 6.5 PRC for guys who like to hunt elk in the back country with a light rifle but also use it for range shooting but again I don't think they made any rifle quite just for that yet** would love to see a modular weight system or you can fill the stock with pre-fitted weight

7ish with scope. Using harvester 300 suppressor probably 8lbs and a few once's with everything. At 600 I can see impacts it's the in between ranges there's just enough recoil to miss the impact
I'll have 5.8 lbs + 1 lbs silencer co omega 300 , + 18oz with cover, Leupold freedom series 3-9x 24mm and warn qd mount l, put me right atv 7.8-8lbs fully loaded where are you loaded out ? Then I'll factor in 20-30% reduction from can

Published start pressures for the 280AI are 46,000- 48,000 PSI and case fill as low as 61% (powder dependent).

Best thing IMO is to identify the powders do you currently have, and what bullet(s) do you intend to load down for practice.

How much lower then published start loads you can go, I can not answer.

Also I am still confused about which cartridge you are trying to load for is it the 7mmPRC or 280AI?