Let's talk day packs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skC0RAG4_iU

might be a bit late to the party. but I have researched this back and forth and went with this option.

its a eberlestock mainframe external pack. with a super duffle that zips to it. and two added panels with specific zippers that can either be stashed away. or added between the duffle and the frame to give a large space for an elk quarter, dry bag etc. there is a few other options as well. the video lays it out. the duffle bag its self is well build, but simple and 3000 cubic inches.

whole thing ran be 230$ and is versatile as I can pack it light and simple for a day pack, or expand it and make a couple day adventure with it. also incredibly comfy

I've found I can carry the following in my little REI Flash day pack/stuff sack:

1. Hydration bladder W/hose
2. food for the day
3. 1st aid kit
4. butchering gear & trash bags for meat
5. extra clothes (down vest, gloves, rain parka, etc.)
6. "10 essentials" for hiking (headlamp, map & compass and anything not already mentioned)
7. 1/2 of a Thermarest sit pad (goes in hydration bladder pocket, against my back)

If I get a deer or elk the backstraps go into a trash bag and I go back to camp for my backpack to carry out the rest of meat.

BTW, I have found EVERY Eberlestock pack over-built with needlessly heavy Cordura, thick webbing straps and big buckles. Unless it's for the military this extra weight is useless. What? Are you going to drag the **** thing over sharp talus??

Eric B.

Your post makes an important point.

Bag construction of Eberlestock and many other hunting and most any tactical pack are built heavier and tougher than outdoor recreation packs. The weight of the pack itself is often 6 to 9 lbs for rather small packs. Rifle pouches are included on a lot of the Eberlestock and this adds weight but it also provides a very convenient way to carry the rifle and the rifle is well protected.

If you use your day pack to carry light weight, bulky items then you really don't need that heavy construction. I really don't see anything or your list that would warrant the heavy construction of most Eberlestock packs.

But if you use your pack to carry high density heavy items of high value, then the heavier construction does have a pay off.

I use the Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 because it protects the rifle and carries what I need in an organized fashion. I also use it to carry telescopes and tripods and other gear on non-hunting trips. It suits this task well.

But it weighs about 8 lbs.

It is built much heavier than even my old 1980's vintage external frame, large Backpacking Kelty pack.

Bottom line. Figure out what you want to carry, then purchase pack to carry it.

Dave,

4.5 lbs. is within reason.

Back in Pennsylvania I had a large (2,000 cu. in.) hunting daypack with a "Deer Sleigher" roll-up plastic sled strapped on. I'd lash my deer on the sled and drag it out.

Out here in Nevada distances are too long for a roll-up sled (with no snow) so I need a framed pack to begin the first of two or three trips packing out bone meat. So far I'm using my light Osprey EXOS 58 backpack. Not really ideal as it's made for a max load of 45 lbs.. I may get sturdier frame pack for this purpose or use my much larger (7,500 cu.in.) Dana Terraplane internal frame pack. But that **** pack weighs 7.5 lbs.!

Eric B.

Ive had three Nimrods,like them still run one .But for my high elevation and more rifle hunt gear that is more gear and clothes I use a Kuiu ultra 1800.Frame is built in.To have frame and game duffle nimrod ran 11# empty,Kuiu 3#,with same capable.Im at 16# to hunt with food and water.Thats with binocs that are on small clips off shoulder straps,gps,Terrapin,2 knives,lighter,first aid,game bag,Atlas.Pack a rain jacket about 50% time

SP6x6,
Can you post a picture of how you carry your rifle with the Ultra 1800,
Thanks,
Jim

I front carry with a Safari sling,have for years.My hands are free for climbing and glassing.Most my hard core buds do the same.Dont have a picture of my current set up but this is idea,this is Nimrod with alum. frame,this was only mile in bear hunt,so larger set up and not my pack rifle either.Ive done 34,000 vert. so far this year muley hunting passed one nice one.

Attachments

• P5310046.jpg
    P5310046.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 131
6X6,

That's a good weight for a hunting/meat pack. I'll look it up.

Again, i carry my rifle vertically in a Kifaru Gun Bearer (the rig is attached to my shoulder strap and waist belt) on my right side. This is so I can use my hiking poles, something I can't do if I carried my rifle as you do. Take a look at the Gun Bearer.

Eric B.

Kuiu has a similar rifle carry and im going to try one.I do spend alot of time in major grizz country. Are local paper had a siting last week of 13 over on the RMF.Ive had G bear beat me to my elk kill before me on canyon shots:D

I picked up a Stone Glacier Solo as my "day pack". It's 3300 CI, but that's about right for all day mountain hunting here in MT. At least with the kind of stuff I bring. I was able to take an elk deep in the backcountry with it on my back and I am super-impressed with it. It's so light on my back, and has the ability to haul a heavy quarter along with gear. They have a smaller model, but I don't think that would hold all the essentials. Packs are kind of like boats, no one ever really wished they had a smaller one.

Trouts layer,

I like that Stone Glacer Solo pack. It's a 'Made for Hunting" pack for sure. More important, it is made from light but durable cloth.

A few other pack companies could learn from that. Jus' saying'...

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.