Day pack ponderings

I have tried a bunch of different packs over the years and have a couple of frames and bags I like, but I have yet to find the perfect pack.

If cover is dense and I'm planning to hunt within a mile or two of the truck, I'll generally opt for a sling bag. They are easy to bring to the front of the body, and access without taking the pack off. I put binos in there too and don't need a chest harness. I'll swing the pack around to my chest when crawling under (and sometimes through) stuff.

Not a very popular option, but I have found good utility in the Maxpedition Kodiak. I see they are on closeout now.

Got the idea from using a Remora (small sling bag) for EDC. Been carrying that little sucker for 10yrs and it's still going strong...

I hunted a Nimrod fanny pack for years with bladder above.Fleece, great for bowhunting.They make packs for fire fighters.It has a duffle you can store for meat haul, with metal stays.The stays where a pain to pack and with duffle the pack got heavier, and didn't haul that well.I moved to the small Kuiu,bout the lightest you can get,ive packed many a mule deer and elk 1/4 with it.This the Nimrod
IMG_0018.JPG

I hunted a Nimrod fanny pack for years with bladder above.Fleece, great for bowhunting.They make packs for fire fighters.It has a duffle you can store for meat haul, with metal stays.The stays where a pain to pack and with duffle the pack got heavier, and didn't haul that well.I moved to the small Kuiu,bout the lightest you can get,ive packed many a mule deer and elk 1/4 with it.This the NimrodView attachment 470227
I don't want to hijack the post. But I am curious as to what type of bow sling you're using here in this picture. Or how you have the bow attached. And is it quick to draw for use ? My cloth sling covers the cams & sight to keep dirt branches & such out. But it's not very fast when needed to use. So I tend to not use the sling. And carry my bow in hand. I would like to find a sling made for stalking. I have had a few ideas of my own. But I never see anything resembling what I would like on the market.

Abrams,off any pack I'm running, mine have the belt part.I run two bow hooks so the bow can hang for glassing ,calling, etc. The are just the open U type.It depends a bit on bow shape and how you place them for how quick. My binos are also off packs shoulder straps on QD,bugle is on clip with lanyard. I have a pack set up for archery, and one for rifles I carry gear differently as shooting bow is much that way.Basically pick up pack and its all there.Differnt bow and pack here. My son uses one hook and bow has to balances with hand a bit, but is faster to pull bow out. Ive never found speed a issue archery.
IMG_1826.JPG

I agree that load hauling should be a consideration. I carry a bigger pack than needed at times too, but load out is main reason why.

I am not familiar with the KUIU systems, I have a mystery ranch, but many pack systems today allow you to keep the frame and belt, and swap the bag/pack to fit the changing needs. It may be something to check out. Then the frame is always as you expect for load hauling, but you go to a smaller bag for the smaller trips.
^^^^ What he said.
You'll probably get a lot more feedback on stuff like this at Rokslide.

I asked a similar question over there and was given similar advice as above. Buy a frame system and different packs. I was steered toward Kifaru.

This is my Kuiu loaded to max and I could not fit last 1/4 but I was only a mile and close to dark,I could have boned but this was faster.I always have 2 pack frames at rig also if I get something or friend is with and do multiple trips.Ive only got elk out a few times on same day ,very rare for me.Picture wouldn't load?

For a daypack, I just started using a Stone Glacier Avail. It's small, I can fit a kill kit including game bags, water filter, water bladder, some layers not much, and my glassing setup pretty easily. I tested it out on a javelina hunt in AZ this year. It was at least the perfect optics pack. I'd be really concerned about packing out meat with that pack though, I don't think I'd carry it on an elk hunt. For my overnighters I carry a Stone Glacier Sky 6400. It's way more pack than what I need for 5-7 days. If I were to do something where I needed a 4-season shelter it might get filled up but, I avoid sleeping in the snow. If I were to do something to carry the same amount that I can with my Avail I'd get something like the Stone Glacier Approach 2800 or even the EVO 3300 to put on my frame, and still maintain my ability to haul meat. I think with my gear loadout I could still get 3-5 days out of the 3300, it might be a good consideration for me come September archery elk season to stay light and fast.

Wholly depends on your intended use & budget.
My friends & I all use Alps Outdoorz packs.
My "everyday" day pack has appearantly been discontinued.

I have one of their Traverse ESP packs that doesn't get used that often. Mostly when I'm hauling a load of straps & stuff to set up a hang on stand.

Their Motive is great when I'm setting up, checking, moving trail cameras!

We all (5 of us) use their turkey vests. 3 Grand Slams, 2 Long Spur.

2 of my friends use the Big Bear packs & love them!

My friends & I all use Alps Outdoorz packs.
I have a Commander Lite, it's an external frame, just a bit shorter than the full size Commander, and the pack separates so you can carry meat and then attach the pack on top of it. Tons of Molle loops and straps.

For my son I got an Alps Pursuit, I got him the non-cammo version. He uses it mostly to carry all of his stuff to go to the gym/school/daypack. He can bring it with me when I hunt and haul meat with it also. His has an internal aluminum frame. He uses his for a lot more than hunting, so uses his more than I use mine. I only use mine for hunting.