Day pack ponderings

FrogFire7

Hey guys, have been thinking about a dedicated day pack for a couple years now.

I currently run a kuiu lt pack system with an admittedly large bag- 7200 I think it is.

I do love that I can use the compression straps and suck it down to not much space, but still have been thinking about a day pack.

I live in PA, hunt archery from the ground and a climber, and hunt rifle, sometimes on game lands where I mostly walk/still hunt and put some miles on.

I like the big bag for archery season, and may switch to saddle hunting next fall. I like the capacity for taking lots of layers for active hunting and layering up when I sit.

Still, my big pack can be a bit bulky in brush, and can be pretty noisy moving through vegetation.

I think a smaller footprint pack might help both of those issues, but I have some concerns. First being meat hauling if I get something a few miles back in.

I have been thinking hard about a kuiu Divide pack, or Venture Divide. But, concerned about meat hauling capability, and that it will still be a loud, nylon pack. For that matter I could just get a smaller bag for my frame and not lose the load shelf capability. Although with my 7200 pack being ably to cinch down to almost nothing, I feel like there may not be a real advantage to getting a smaller capacity pack, so I'm back to square one.

Any thoughts for a quiet pack that can do some heavy lifting if required? I do love my kuiu system- for me it fits like a glove and is comfortable. I packed a quartered up doe and all my gear out two miles in one trip on my back last fall and while it was definitely work, I have zero complaints about the system. I just would like something quieter in the brush and that won't get me hung up if I have to go under branches/brush, but still be able to carry out a deer if I need to.

I usually carry large packs as well. Last year I decided to get something smaller, specifically for pronghorn archery season. I went with the Eberlestock X2 and really liked it. So much so that I carried it right on through the rest of the season. Admittedly, I am pretty loyal to Eberlestock and have been since my first pack. They're heavy, but they're tougher than nails and their ability to carry a heavy load (80+ lbs) securely and comfortably is amazing. I got a chance to pack out a cow elk with that X2 and it did not disappoint. In fact, I took it well beyond what it's probably intended for and carried a front and rear quarter. The front dropped inside and the rear was secured to the outside with the straps.

I know there are some guys here with good advice on this!
I don't have any good advice.

I use mystery ranch. It's gotta be about as loud as any other codura pack.

It's not something I personally worry about, because I drop my pack when I go in on a stock. Same with my shoes.

About the only time I still hunt thick timbers is for elk, but even then, I still drop pack for a stock when I spot what I'm looking for, or feel like a bugle is really close. Like other side of the sticks close.

I haven't really seen premium western hunting styled packs come with quite cloth in a long time.
Does Tenzing still make packs?

I agree that load hauling should be a consideration. I carry a bigger pack than needed at times too, but load out is main reason why.

I am not familiar with the KUIU systems, I have a mystery ranch, but many pack systems today allow you to keep the frame and belt, and swap the bag/pack to fit the changing needs. It may be something to check out. Then the frame is always as you expect for load hauling, but you go to a smaller bag for the smaller trips.

I use a Mystery Ranch Pintler pack when I'm day hunting. It can carry a fair amount of gear but allows for me to carry quarters when needed by extending the bag off the frame. I've hauled elk quarters and recently even carried moose quarters with the pack. My favorite pack for day hunts.

8465-12-328-1692, German Combat pack from about 2008, surplus, solid, sturdy, stuff that still works.

I have a Venture 2300 which I like for a day bag, since you already have the Kuiu frame, I would buy a smaller bag and never look back. It will do everything you want.
I hear you to a point... My big bag cinches down to almost nothing, I guess that's why I haven't bought a smaller bag yet. Not sure if it's worth it? Might be. My brother has an 1800-2200 size bag, maybe I'll snag it from him and see if the smaller footprint is worth getting a new bag.

Still, would like something a little quieter too.