Let's get this party started!

rooster740

It sounds like the wolf packs around the north border of YNP, have many new pups. I hear 17 pups in the 8 mile pack that ventures well into Paradise valley. One pack in southern Paradise Valley has 6 new pups.
Let the action begin!

Rooster,

I'm gonna be doing my part.

Got my riding mammoth jack primed and ready. The pack donk has a bit to go before I'm totally confident in a no-wreck hunt. :roll eyes:

Built the saddle for the ride and decker for the packer donk.

The 308 youth gun is tuned and ready for the carry gun.

The 270 AM is tuned and ready for reachin' out.

My body is in sad shape but what the heck, I'll wear it the rest of the way out in the hills.

This will be the most expensive season on record for me.

All I wanted was a wolf. What I got is a truck, trailer, saddles, camping gear, two donks, expensive rifles, better fence and a whole heck of a lot of enjoyment.

The good news is that after is that after it's shot and the hide is good it's only 56 bucks to get it tanned. (after skinning, stretching and drying.:roll eyes:)

Rooster,

I'm gonna be doing my part.

Got my riding mammoth jack primed and ready. The pack donk has a bit to go before I'm totally confident in a no-wreck hunt. :roll eyes:

Built the saddle for the ride and decker for the packer donk.

The 308 youth gun is tuned and ready for the carry gun.

The 270 AM is tuned and ready for reachin' out.

My body is in sad shape but what the heck, I'll wear it the rest of the way out in the hills.

This will be the most expensive season on record for me.

All I wanted was a wolf. What I got is a truck, trailer, saddles, camping gear, two donks, expensive rifles, better fence and a whole heck of a lot of enjoyment.

The good news is that after is that after it's shot and the hide is good it's only 56 bucks to get it tanned. (after skinning, stretching and drying.:roll eyes:)

I will be doing my damndest up in the Bob Marshall in Montana as well, I would consider it a more successful hunt if we get wolves than elk, don't get me wrong, I **** sure want an elk, but if I had to pick, I would take a wolf this fall! :D

Here in Washington we had a pack take out some livestock recently. I was surprised when the game dept hired a hunter to kill several of the pack. They got one with a helicopter and have some more kills planned. At least the are not 100% stupid as they will allow some wolf reduction. I'll peg them at 99% stupid for allowing any wolves to come into the state in the first place so they have improved 1%. Got a long way to go and it doesn't look good. Now these _______ idiots (you fill in the blank) are talking about bringing 300 grizzly into the North Cascades. I don't know if I could be more ****ed off than I already am but that would probably do it.

Best of luck to you guys. I saw a couple adult wolf tracking some deer a few years back. I had a 300 WSM with me. It would have been a 300 yard shot off hand but of course a no go here in Washington. I had about 10 seconds before they decided not to mess with me and trotted off where the deer had gone. I sure would have like to have tried that shot.

Here in Washington we had a pack take out some livestock recently. I was surprised when the game dept hired a hunter to kill several of the pack. They got one with a helicopter and have some more kills planned. At least the are not 100% stupid as they will allow some wolf reduction. I'll peg them at 99% stupid for allowing any wolves to come into the state in the first place so they have improved 1%. Got a long way to go and it doesn't look good. Now these _______ idiots (you fill in the blank) are talking about bringing 300 grizzly into the North Cascades. I don't know if I could be more ****ed off than I already am but that would probably do it.

Best of luck to you guys. I saw a couple adult wolf tracking some deer a few years back. I had a 300 WSM with me. It would have been a 300 yard shot off hand but of course a no go here in Washington. I had about 10 seconds before they decided not to mess with me and trotted off where the deer had gone. I sure would have like to have tried that shot.

Not to make light of your situation:D, but I hope they take some out of the Bridger Tetons in Wyoming, or the Bob Marshall in Montana, they have more than they need! I would be happy to share the love with y'all! :D

Engineering, you can not imagine how your game will disapear with wolves, which sucks! But to top that off I hope you do not get the grizzlies! It is one thing to crawl into your tent ****ed about wolves, but to also be worried about a hungry bear eating your ***, or tearing up camp is no fun!
For the first three weeks of our rifle season Oct 25 thru Nov 15 I see fresh tracks or at least a bear darn near everyday! It gets old!
At least we can kill the wolves! I have general locations of three packs, and plan to be more aggressive earlier this year!

Engineering, you can not imagine how your game will disapear with wolves, which sucks! But to top that off I hope you do not get the grizzlies!resh tracks or at least a bear darn near everyday! It gets old!
[/QUOTE

The "Huckleberry Pack" is more or less in our backyard. There isn't all that much game to be had in Washington, which is why these packs will have to hit the livestock and pets to make it. The pack spends a fair amount of time on tribal land, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

The plan seems to be to kill 4 out of 13, yeah that will help.

Grizzlies can show up any where, a surprise when they do but not a total shock.

Now after last winter's kill on the cattle rancher's, it is about time that these wolf packs get trimmed down as far as possible. If you have say 15 wolfs in a given area then you need to take out at least 9 of them (leaving 2 breeding pair) which will still give those plenty to hunt next season.

The amount of distruction down on calves is way to high and that is the ranchers profit gone right down the drain. Two bad years in a row and many ranchers are only left with "bone" on the table for super on a cold hard day. Anyway gents, that's my thought on the subject.

Oh man, on Monday my favorite game of hide and seek starts! I have a pretty good lead on some mutts, but it is big country with no tracking snow! Winds (my weakness) are expected to be less then 5mph!
My new 6.5-06 ackley is slinging 160's fast and true! It is hard to leave the 243 at home because she knows wolf blood well!

Rooster, what 160 are you shooting and how fast are you running them. Also in the 243 what bullet would you recommend since you have taken wolves with it? I have a 243 but want to build a bigger 6.5 for long range....thanks again and good luck with your hunt!

Rooster, what 160 are you shooting and how fast are you running them. Also in the 243 what bullet would you recommend since you have taken wolves with it? I have a 243 but want to build a bigger 6.5 for long range....thanks again and good luck with your hunt!

I am shooting matrix 160. I have tried many combos of powder and seating depths. I am down to fine tuning on three loads with one really showing great accuracy. H 4831sc shoots groups that are a raged hole from 2750 to 2900. Every load I shoot is tight with this powder. H1000 does not have consistent velocity at all and shoots 1 inch groups, retumbo is good and bad. At up to 2850 it has terrible variation in velocity but shoot great at 100 yards. At about 2950 I have a great shooting load but still 20-30 fps variation. Both times I took this load out to 500 yards I had 15 to 30 mph winds, I shot 1 moa groups and will admit the wind was killing me!
I really like Sierra 95 SMK at 3230 fps in my 243. They shoot great and work on wolves. The hornady 105 will give a quarter sized hole on a shoulder shot but I can not get the velocity I want with this bullet.

The wolf hunting was hot by temperature measurement but slow by killing standards. As boredom sat in I did bait my cousin into a pistol competition and ended up hitting a 24 inch rock 2 out of 2 shots at 130 yards with my Glock 23. Yup, I won! It was a great day to be out on my horses! 25 miles by foot and saddle, and only one fresh wolf track. The bow hunters have been active and putting camps in dumb spots, but that is part of the game.

Last edited:
Hank, watch out for the scumbag protesters who are only 'videoing' hunts. Not supposed to be interfering in any way. Good luck and better shooting!

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.