Len's Grand Canyon, solo Rim 2 Rim 2 Rim backpacking trip - April 2022

WOW!
Heck, again WOW!
What and amazing trip and adventure. For me and probably others here, thanks for sharing something I could only dream about doing. I have visited once and quickly realized I had no business going down. ie. the helicopter ride out- LOL. Hope they were okay.
Congratulations and please share the next one.

Very nice photography! I used to make an annual trip in April. The canyon had some of the best trout fishing in the country. My buddy caught 20 trout over 18" the first afternoon at Red Canyon. Then the environmentalists decided that the Colorado squaw chub and a couple of other native fish (which had survived there for 25 years after Glen Canyon dam) were more important. Our Fish & Wildlife service electrocuted the fish and threw the rainbows up on the bank to die. The fishing was the highlight of those trips. Well, that and when a rafter would give you a bag of wine or some cold beer.

Len, if that yellow tent is yours, you should read the posts about minimalist hunting shelters. In all the years I went, I believe I was rained on twice.

Wow, awesome photos! Thanks for sharing your trip.

Many years ago I read a book called "The Man Who Walked Through Time." Where, if I remember correctly, the author hiked the length of the Grand Canyon only coming up near the rim to access one of his caches...

I was last there after a snowstorm laid down about 8" of snow. It was breathtaking to say the least. However, nobody was going very close to the rim.

Looking forward to your Glacier trip.

This was my third Grand Canyon trip this year. It was a bucket list route. I started at the South Rim's South Kaibab trailhead, hiked down and across the Colorado RIver on the black bridge past Phantom Ranch and up the North Rim.

The route picture below shows that my return to the South Rim came up the Bright Angel Trail across the silver bridge to the top.

I camped two nights at the Cottonwood campground - 14 miles from the S rim.The second day I day hiked 14 miles to the top of N Rim and back to Cottonwood.

Third day I broke camp and hiked back to S Rim...16 miles away.

Total of 43 miles and 11,400 feet of elevation gain (and loss) over three days.

These pictures were taken with my phone camera...for weight savings.

View attachment 361459

View attachment 361460

View attachment 361461

View attachment 361462

View attachment 361464
Thanks so much for sharing. The views are spectacular. I spent a week in Kanab while touring the north rim, Zion & Kodachrome Basin.

Quite the accomplishment and dedication getting this done at literally all hours of the day. I have done several pack trips, the Eagle Cap Wilderness in Oregon being one but nothing close to the miles here. I'm curious what your pack weight is?

Thanks for the picture's, amazing!

I saw a number of you young crazies doing it as a dayhike. Amazing guts and conditioning.

I am 76.

Lucky that my knees are actually better now than when I was 28.

At 73, my knees are somehow a decade or two older. 🤔

Wonderful experience and photos. Thanks for sharing - and inspiring!

Len, the trip log and photos were great, and inspiring. I've never been to Grand Canyon, and it's got me thinking of a backpacking trip there. Thx again!

Incredible photos. Lots of memories from teenage years where I hiked the top 11 trails in the GC over a five year period. Makes me think I need to head back before it's too late for me. Len, thanks for sharing.

This is an awesome post Len. Thank you so much for sharing. Many years ago I took my 2 sons to the GC and we hiked down and back. It always amazed me how 5 minutes of sun angle change, could change the view of colors on the same rock formations. Years later when they were both in the military the 3 of us hiked Big Bend Nat'l park and did the remote camp site thing. The sky was like being in a planetarium Of course I was always the "tail-gunner" on those hikes.... Been to Glacier 4x as well. Absolutely my favorite park to date. Can't wait for your recap of that adventure.

Recent Posts