Len's Southwest Photo hiking adventure March 2022 Part 1 - Grand Canyon, Horseshoe Bend

I hope some of you have a chance to view these on a larger screen than a phone.

Prior to this post my pix in this thread were from my very good phone.

Those uploaded for this reply are from my brand new Nikon Z7, full frame mirrorless camera.

Here goes... new camera, new editing software, working out of a restaurant.

These uploaded image files are substantially compressed to make them much smaller file size for web viewing.

What could possibly go wrong?

First one is a tribute to Kathy Spaeth, that cute 8th grade girl who sat in front of me.

I walked her home from school on March 30, 1960.

The rest of these photos were taken yesterday and this morning.

I hiked down Kaibab Trail to where it intersects with Tonto West Trail.. I took that west to its intersection with Bright Angel Trail at the Indian Garden Campground.

I tented there last night.

This am @ 5 am, an hour and a half before sunrise I broke camp and headed up to the top of the South Rim at the Bright Angel Trailhead. Made it just after 9 am in spite of photo stops.

This afternoon I head to Page Arizona, where I will photograph the Horseshoe Bend site...in the Colorado River.

View attachment 347897
Awwww! Love you too. Kathy

Len: Have a great hike. This is the best time of year.
I did one to the bottom and back in the summer when I was much, much younger. For all those of you who cannot hike it because of your age, as I cannot @ 82 years, here is an alternative: Helicopter flight
100_1103.jpg
100_1104.jpg

Next is Horseshoe Bend near Page, Arizona.

I got there a couple hours before sunset yesterday to experience 10 to 20 mph winds and blowing sand and grit so bad I had to close my eyes often and turn backwards.

I started being concerned for my camera and lenses. So I left.

I came back the next morning just as rain sprinkles letup. I waited a little longer for the soft, even light to gain in brightness.

And here is what I accomplished.
_DSC1102.jpg
_DSC1105.jpg
_DSC1107.jpg
_DSC1111.jpg

I am now at a KOA Campground in Moab, Utah. I'll be based there until the middle of next week.

I am heading out pre-dawn with my lighter tent to the Needles Section of Canyonlands National Park. About an hour drive.

There I will be in the backcountry for three days taking photos of the amazing rock formations found there.

So you won't hear from me past, say, 6 am tomorrow until late Sunday afternoon...probably.

Treat each other with kindness!

AND DO ME A SPECIAL FAVOR....

LOOK AT THESE IMAGES ON A SCREEN LARGER THAN YOUR TINY PHONES.