Kaboom 💥 Today 😟

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have case base separation due to bumping the shoulder back after fire-forming your cases. So it end up as a double stretch of the case. The base paid the price for that trying to fill the gape. Correcting me if I am wrong in my thinking. I been known of being wrong headed before. 😁 🤣. I am just trying to get this correct.
No. I might have bumped the shoulder back too far on the 708 making. The 708AI formed cases fired during this incident had only .0015 shoulder bump.

Kudos to Lapua for helping to diagnose the problem. I'm not saying it was your fault, but if you were using Peterson brass, they would say it was your fault.

AD0A0BBD-11C2-4D19-9575-D8563CAA6B34.jpeg

Weird stuff can happen, glad you came out ok! If it were me, I'd section some of the cases and see how they look. I'd probably also just toss the brass and move on. Not worth another potential explosion near my face.

Would you please just read through the thread?
168 posts? No, I won't.
I know Josh at PVA personally, so I don't think it is anything on his end. I can also tell you it's not the absence of shoulder bump. I don't have the time nor inclination to read through the whole thread. I've been a professional gunsmith for 20 years, and I plan to do it another 20 so I better get back to work.

I ruined 50 pieces of Lapua 30-06 brass that I had fire formed to 30-06ai once by bumping the shoulder too far after fireforming. I shot 2 or 3 and they all had case separation that looked just like your case but fortunately without the kaboom.
IME AI cartridges are sensitive to this for reasons I do not fully understand, and the reason for my first post, pages back

I'm no expert by any means but yes I think the fire forming then too much bump caused excessive case stretching once they were fired again. After that I started neck sizing only for that gun with the plan to only bump the shoulder if it gets hard to close.
I never had the problems he had, but I am never to old to learn and try and remember what has happen here. I have belown primers out because of temp, or didn't run the powder load up in to see what the rifle could handle correctly. Really I went to their heavy load to start with. I don't or won't do that again. I have seen some bad head spacing. problems are good to know about.
It's good to be on here to learn about problems, hopefully you or I don't cross that bridge. There are all types of comparators out there to measure those items. That way you can check on what you are doing and any growth happening.
Thanks for the return on what was going on.

Do as you please. But don't dream you're gonna offer any meaningful assistance by posting without being informed on the incident.

Difficult to hit the bullseye shooting from the hip, one handed, and blindfolded.
Like me, just trying to find out what going on. Like me being dyslexia. I can screw up a wet dream.

Kudos to Lapua for helping to diagnose the problem. I'm not saying it was your fault, but if you were using Peterson brass, they would say it was your fault.

View attachment 486549

Weird stuff can happen, glad you came out ok! If it were me, I'd section some of the cases and see how they look. I'd probably also just toss the brass and move on. Not worth another potential explosion near my face.
This is standard product safety liability disclaimer and not a reflection upon any company stating use our product as designed for specific purpose.

I had that very same thing happen to me a couple of months ago. M-14, .308 using Fiocci brass. Blew the magazine out through the bottom of the receiver, damaged the bolt and cracked the stock lengthwise. Turns out it was a bad brass casing. Like you, I was very fortunate that I was not injured.

I have been reloading for 40 plus years and have never even had a primer blow out. Things happen I guess. Glad that you are ok.

I had that very same thing happen to me a couple of months ago. M-14, .308 using Fiocci brass. Blew the magazine out through the bottom of the receiver, damaged the bolt and cracked the stock lengthwise. Turns out it was a bad brass casing. Like you, I was very fortunate that I was not injured.

I have been reloading for 40 plus years and have never even had a primer blow out. Things happen I guess. Glad that you are ok.

This is one of the reasons why I never used the solid delrin single load device on the ARs in slow fire single load only competition. The standard magasine act like expansion chambers. Lots of pressure go through the magasine. Sure it blows the bottom plate, and possibly damage the mag, but it is a sacrificial piece.

I had some LAPUA 6.5X284 separate in the past. Thought I may have over pressured the case and looked back at the load data and I was well below max. I then took some new brass from same lot and tried that load again and showed a line where it was about to come apart in the same spot. All the brass with the stress line were all in the same spot. Needless to say I put that brass to the side. Tried the same load in Norma brass and had no issues. Purchased some more LAPUA and shot them today and I saw no sign of them failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts