Kaboom 💥 Today 😟

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contact Lapua!
I think they will be very interested in examining this entire batch of brass.
Something went wrong in the manufacture of that brass.

Looks to me that the bolt failed. Why, because there is no evidence of case to chamber leakage. Why would the bolt break out the bottom rim into the magazine? On the barrel, there are drilled relief ports to direct case head leaks at and behind to bolt lugs for what ever reason.
Show us the bolt face, there could be fractures which opened dramatically causing the release of gasses into the magazine.

Well, its been ruled as my fault. I am not disbelieving the notion, but I am surprised that a few thou stretching on 1X fired case causes the rup

Not yet. I was using the paperclip method, but realized can't get low enough in the case to detect where this separation happened.

This brass was only shot 1 time prior. That fact adds to the mind blender. LOL
I ruined 50 pieces of Lapua 30-06 brass that I had fire formed to 30-06ai once by bumping the shoulder too far after fireforming. I shot 2 or 3 and they all had case separation that looked just like your case but fortunately without the kaboom.

I've had this happen before.

As someone stated earlier, that clean cut is where the case hangs out of the chamber. If you have too much space between the bolt face and barrel you're letting too much of the case stick out of the end of the barrel. If it's too much you have thinner brass at the base of the case/barrel and it won't take as much pressure. It doesn't matter if the brass is new or 10x fired, it won't take the pressure.

There are a couple of ways to measure the bolt nose/barrel spacing. You can use a piece of lead shot on the barrel, close the bolt and measure the thickness of the now-squished lead. Or, like I do, if you have brass sheets of various thickness you can cut pieces to match the barrel recess (if not a flat bolt) and simply close the bolt on increasing thicknesses until it won't close. Whatever that shim measures is your bolt/barrel spacing.

Bolt nose/barrel spacing should not be over .010". I like mine around .005".

I appreciate the Lapua rep walking through every single little detail of my loading process with me. It was actually pretty fun. I learned a step in my process needed correction. Awesome!

Was it my fault? Possibly
Was it the brass fault(y)? Possibly
"Honestly"... I feel it was MagnumManiac's fault. That magnitude of arrogance is always faulty. Hahaha... TOO funny 😁

He knows ALL. 1st mistake is he refuses to accept that the location of the case head separation is the location you've presented and provided. Even though your picture shows that no upper portion of the extractor groove remained attached to the case body at the location of separation. His analysis begins flawed. Inputs a flawed separation location into his black box... pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Don't dare question superior analysis and arrogance. Absolutely end up on his Ignore List. Thank God for that privilege!

Looks to me that the bolt failed. Why, because there is no evidence of case to chamber leakage. Why would the bolt break out the bottom rim into the magazine? On the barrel, there are drilled relief ports to direct case head leaks at and behind to bolt lugs for what ever reason.
Show us the bolt face, there could be fractures which opened dramatically causing the release of gasses into the magazine.
More thinking has me inclined to think the barrel may have been obstructed for what ever readon from the 11th cartridge. That explosion was a critical failure and could have been worse.
For me, I would be surprised if it shoots well again. Check it over, it may be ruined and dangerous to fire again.

Can you get a photo of the chamber mouth? I may be able to save you a lot of grief going forward.

Has anybody asked about the rifle? Is it a factory barrel or an aftermarket barrel?

I also think that the main part of the case fell out of the chamber is also a tell. Head not fusing to the bolt is a tell. Issue is not pressure. Doubtful secondary pressure wave either.

I ruined 50 pieces of Lapua 30-06 brass that I had fire formed to 30-06ai once by bumping the shoulder too far after fireforming. I shot 2 or 3 and they all had case separation that looked just like your case but fortunately without the kaboom.

So you have case base separation due to bumping the shoulder back after fire-forming your cases. So it end up as a double stretch of the case. The base paid the price for that trying to fill the gape. Correcting me if I am wrong in my thinking. I been known of being wrong headed before. 😁 🤣. I am just trying to get this correct.

So you have case base separation due to bumping the shoulder back after fire-forming your cases. So it end up as a double stretch of the case. The base paid the price for that trying to fill the gape. Correcting me if I am wrong in my thinking. I been known of being wrong headed before. 😁 🤣. I am just trying to get this correct.
I'm no expert by any means but yes I think the fire forming then too much bump caused excessive case stretching once they were fired again. After that I started neck sizing only for that gun with the plan to only bump the shoulder if it gets hard to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.