It Fell Where?

I did kill a 5x5 bull on a ridge so steep you had to traverse tree to tree in 8-10" snow. My guide lifted head up and bull started to slide down ridge with him on it.!! He jammed rack into ground and yelled for rope to tie him off! I was able to do that ok without myself going down hill as well. We quartered him by me holding his belt and rope at same time! It was one heck of time getting pack mules within couple hundred yards but they did. The ride back to camp was 2+ hours in dark, no moon, just starlight on snow. Most beautiful adventure ever riding up on elk in dark, barking at you, no wind still as can be. Horses breathing, leather creaking and night sounds at 9K ft. My guide said there is tiny spot where I might get signal, when we got there, he said now, hit send, connected to my wife for maybe 5 seconds. All she heard was I am fine killed 5x5. Didn't talk for another 3 days when down off mtn. The stars were crystal clear and maybe 10 degrees. Something you will never forget.

BTW prob classic elk load; 300WM, 200AB @ 2950. DRT.

Killed a 6 point bull in a burn. 300 wm 180AB bullet at 2950. Elk only went approximately 15 to 20 yards. But it died in a hole where the roots of a tree had burned out. Plus one tree had fell down along one side of the hole and one tree had fell on the down hill side of the hole. The hole was 2 Plus feet deep. I was by myself. There was no way that Elk was coming out of that hole except in pieces. Don't believe I ever worked so hard taking care of an animal in my life. And I know I never have gotten so filthy myself and you can just imagine how dirty I got the meat. Took a good bit of cleaning up of both the meat and me before the wife would even consider letting me in the camper.

shot on a hillside and rolled right down into a sink hole. we lost sight of him and didnt know where he went after the shot and couldnt find him. lucky we had a guy on the glass watching the whole thing on the other side of the canyon that saw where he fell/ disappeared.

Attachments

• galaxy s4 pics 468.jpg
    galaxy s4 pics 468.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 181
  • galaxy s4 pics 470.jpg
    galaxy s4 pics 470.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 186
shot on a hillside and rolled right down into a sink hole. we lost sight of him and didnt know where he went after the shot and couldnt find him. lucky we had a guy on the glass watching the whole thing on the other side of the canyon that saw where he fell/ disappeared.
Wouldn't want to meet up with that Prairie Dog!!!

I don't have photos, but the strangest story I have was from West River, SD country hunting mule deer. We were heading back to the ranch with a couple of deer in the pickup when the rancher's grandson (about 16 at the time) pulled up and wanted help going after a big whitetail buck he had shot and wounded. We spotted him at about a half mile off and could see a huge blood spot on the shoulder where he had hit him with a .243 Win and the bullet splashed on the shoulder blade. He took off up a drainage that split into two smaller drainages farther up, both of which were dammed off for stock dams. I took one and the grandson took the other. I slowly stalked up over the dam bank, expecting to see the deer getting water because he was wounded and had been running for a couple of miles by then. I was lying prone, just high enough to see over the dam. I looked all over the edge and saw nothing. Then I saw a rack and a nose slowly rise up out of the water to get air, about ten feet off the shore. I laid there until the buck exposed his entire head and base of the neck. Then I ended the hunt with a shot to the atlas joint. He was laying in about four feet of water, belly on the bottom and legs splayed out. We got awfully muddy getting a rope around the antlers to drag him out. There was a fist-size hole in the shoulder and no penetration to the rib cage from the .243 Win round. I asked him what he was shooting. "55 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip. They go really fast." Ugh. His grandpa turned to my dad and said, "Doesn't Sally (my mom) use a .243? She never has a problem. What do you load in it?" "A 100 gr. Nosler Partition." "Tanner, keep those little bullets for coyotes and use 100 gr. whatever kind of bullet Fred said next time."

Thought it would be fun to share some of the weirdest places where your game dropped. This is on a farm in Indiana where my son said use his stand since "I can't get into trouble there."! This bow kill 2 weeks before complete reconstruction surgery in right shoulder. Hurt like dickens to pull bow back at 60 lbs. I had to call son at his job for help. I went down into ditch to place rope on it then couldn't get out since slippery clay. Son had to pull me up first.
😂

So let's see those OMG places!
View attachment 407160
Muddy, not even gonna try. YOU WIN. The rest of us shoot our deer. It's easier than drowning them.

I also had another one I sort erased from my memory. I shot a big doe with a muzzleloader when I was like 14 or 15 and then it ran down the ravine through the creek then up the other side where it proceeded to die and roll back down the ravine and into the creek. This wouldn't have been so bad but it was like 10° and snowing sideways. I then had to go down into the creek drag her out of the creek, gut her, then drag her up and out of the ravine and to the back of the house where I could get a truck to it. That was only like 1/4 mile but I remember being flat miserable doing all that.

Don't have any pictures,but at my old house,we planted apple trees about 150 yards from the house. They couldn't be seen from the house because the house was surrounded by woods. Next to the apple trees was a huge white pine,and I decided that was a perfect place to put a tree stand because early season,when the days are longer,I could take a quick shower after work,grab my bow and hunt there.
One night I went out to my apple tree stand and this nice plump doe comes in so I loose an arrow at her. At that same moment my wife was out hanging clothes on the line. She hears this snapping and crackling of something coming fast through the woods. Scared the s*!t out of her. The deer comes down my 4 wheeler trail somersaults about 20 to 25 feet from her and crashes about 6 feet from my propane tank. After that she refused to leave the house if I was hunting that stand.

The other worst one that we did was also West River, SD mule deer hunting. It had snowed the week before and then warmed up, melting the snow. If you know West River, you know gumbo and that it clings to boots and tires like superglue. We were glassing a bottom on the neighboring property and watched a big 5x5 bed down with a big doe about a mile away. I asked Harry if I could put a stalk on them. "Let's go talk to Dody"(landowner). She gave her blessing and when we got back an hour later the deer were still there. Harry warned me that we wouldn't be able to drive to them if I got them because of the gumbo. We'd get stuck. I was 16 and stupid, so I said I didn't care. I made a successful stalk, putting a 165 gr Ballistic tip from my .30-06 through the neck of the buck, then another through the chest of the doe after she stood up. Both were very large deer. I field dressed both of them and looked back at the truck, which was empty. My dad and older brother came across with bale hooks to drag the doe. It took us three hours to drag the deer to someplace accessible with a pickup truck, having to stop frequently to clean boots. Once we got to pickup Harry laughed at me a little and said, "I wondered if you had really thought that through." His favorite saying about gumbo was "If you stick with it when it's dry it will stick with you when it's wet." He's not kidding. It's like no other mud I've encountered in my life.

I've seen a few:
- Longest shot on an elk, 720yds. Right near the top of a mountain, I was shooting from 1000ft below. Hit him well and he dropped at the shot, then slid 400yds downhill on the snow. Ended up only 50 yds from another hunter who had shot the larger herd bull before me at close range (so I'd shot safely, he was a quarter mile from my bull when I shot it). Guy was awfully surprised an hour later when I climbed up to my bull, he had no idea it had been shot.

- Shot a doe with a muzzleloader at ~150yds in unusually heavy early snow. It ran to a ditch and tried to cross but couldn't get out, died in the bottom. I got down to it and darn near got myself stuck down there, took 15min to get myself out in the heavy snow, drifts, and steep banks. Came back with a snowmobile, rope, and second person to extract it safely.

- Shot a nice buck with a muzzleloader down a corn row, clipped a corn stalk and hit the deer low in the leg. Tracked him a quarter mile, he crossed a pond for no reason. Tracked another 2 miles, jumping him with increasing frequency. Finally caught up to him neck deep in another pond contemplating the swim. He went for it so I shot him again, had to wade in waist deep to pull him out.