Is Remington quality too big of a risk now days?

LOL ya'll got an answer for everything. You're not changing my mind about "NEW" Remingtons. Like I said before I have some older Rems. and they are some of the best rifles I own. Rem. customer service sucks. So if you want to help somebody solve problems about Rems. start with their customer service.

Not trying to change your mind. Not trying to change anyone's mind. Just stating it how I see it. Same thing yall are doing...

Debate trap, I think some just post to get people fired up...

I think so too ...

LOL!!!!!! and got almost the exact same answers, WORD FOR WORD, from the predictables. That's so funny. Guess we are still on summer reruns. :D

OP - Ever gonna BUY one of those guns? Please give us a review how well they shoot for ya. Would be fun to compare your results to the answers posted here.

I agree!

Just go buy the **** rifle...its been a year.

Yep!

I don't care what brand a rifle is ........ I just care that it shoots well.

The "name on the hood" makes no difference to me!

I have a lot of good shooting guns and some are Rem 700's ......... and some are Savage bolt guns ..........

What I do know about the Rem 700's of late is that one local gun shop of note refused to stock Remingtons citing too many returns. They would special order them and the customer had the monkey on their own back if it was sour .........

.......... and we are not talking trivial things like triggers and bedding issues that are too easy to fix as opposed to sending the rifle back ............

No, we are talking about SERIOUS issues like chambers out of line etc.

I have one j-lock Rem I have not fired yet ... in fact it's unfired (a 300 RUM), otherwise all the Rem 700's I have been associated with are old school.

As I see it there are enough used Rem rifles around to keep the astute buyer busy until the Corp. greed runs out.

Three 44s

I don't care what brand a rifle is ........ I just care that it shoots well.

The "name on the hood" makes no difference to me!

I have a lot of good shooting guns and some are Rem 700's ......... and some are Savage bolt guns ..........

What I do know about the Rem 700's of late is that one local gun shop of note refused to stock Remingtons citing too many returns. They would special order them and the customer had the monkey on their own back if it was sour .........

.......... and we are not talking trivial things like triggers and bedding issues that are too easy to fix as opposed to sending the rifle back ............

No, we are talking about SERIOUS issues like chambers out of line etc.

I have one j-lock Rem I have not fired yet ... in fact it's unfired (a 300 RUM), otherwise all the Rem 700's I have been associated with are old school.

As I see it there are enough used Rem rifles around to keep the astute buyer busy until the Corp. greed runs out.

Three 44s

Agreed!

Sometimes it's not how old the company is or the volume of their production or how they started but it's where they are today not 50+ years ago, regardless if whether we are willing to accept it or not.

For instance, take a snap shot of the last 5-10 years, some of the rifle manufacturer's are on the rise (technological advancement/innovation, catering to the customer demands, etc ...) while others in the decline (for whatever reasons, i.e., poor quality, accuracy, customer service, etc ...).

Inconclusive but perhaps this is indicative of the survey result below from LRH end-users taken from 8/18/2011 to 2/26/2015.

SURVEY_zpsadgshotn.jpg

(http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/right-out-box-76570/)

Contrary to popular belief, I was not trying to troll anyone. I was simply trying to make some changes over the winter so that I would be able to concentrate on getting my little boy shooting next summer. I have a hodge Podge of guns and was hoping to kinda streamline them. I was wanting to get all my crap figured out over the next couple months and start concentrating on him. I have recently considered Remingtons, Tikkas as well as buying components and having them assembled by a smith!! I know a lot about archery and frequent sites where I can ACTUALLY BE OF HELP TO OTHERS. Here unfortunately I have to ASK for help, as my experience is limited in the firearms world unlike my main passion which is archery.
I am sorry for apparently getting so many feathers ruffled. I have seen many comments like the ones above posted on sites like the campfire. However, they are rarely seen here, so I must have REALLY ****ed some of you off. I was under the impression that we were all adults over here.......

Contrary to popular belief, I was not trying to troll anyone. I was simply trying to make some changes over the winter so that I would be able to concentrate on getting my little boy shooting next summer. I have a hodge Podge of guns and was hoping to kinda streamline them. I was wanting to get all my crap figured out over the next couple months and start concentrating on him. I have recently considered Remingtons, Tikkas as well as buying components and having them assembled by a smith!! I know a lot about archery and frequent sites where I can ACTUALLY BE OF HELP TO OTHERS. Here unfortunately I have to ASK for help, as my experience is limited in the firearms world unlike my main passion which is archery.
I am sorry for apparently getting so many feathers ruffled. I have seen many comments like the ones above posted on sites like the campfire. However, they are rarely seen here, so I must have REALLY ****ed some of you off. I was under the impression that we were all adults over here.......

I'm not ****ed. That was more of me trying to be funny so I'm sorry about that. If you explained the above situation in your original post guys would have attacked your question/request for help differently. The way you posed it, it seemed like a debate. Also, guys are passionate about the stuff they care about / makes them happy, so when someone says Remington sucks or savage sucks people take it personnally. It's just that guys care and want to progress the sport and make sure guys like you who need help get it so you too can progress the sport. But to answer your original question I honestly think Remingtons are still worth it. Depending on how big your son is take a hard look at the Remington long range. If not a Remington 700 youth would be nice to and you can always build a custom on it once he out grows it.

No, wasn't called for. That's what happens when people type and talk before they think.

Guys not my intent to troll. I apologize. But everyone is getting so heated about a thread that has been posted multiple times. I think mud runner summed it up pretty well several times and so has FEENIX. Now you have the advice just need to buy one if indeed you want a Remington.

Thanks again for all who tried to help.....
I COMPLETELY misjudged the passion that guys have for certain rifle brands. Like others have posted, I am not really loyal to any of them as long as they shoot nice and feel nice. I should have known that guys are as passionate about their favorite brand of gun as they are their trucks ...etc...
I will MOST DEFINITELY keep this in mind as I make threads in the future.
Thanks again!!!

I approach each action differently, the only one that I pretty much just put a barrel on and feel there is little more I could do is the Tikka, however I only like them for WSM and shorter builds.
I run two Savage rifles one in a benchrest configuration in 6 Dasher, both are trued and had timing and bolt work done to get them to their best.
I'm building myself a 28 Nosler on a Remington 700 because I need the magazine room and I want a longer DBM, it will need trued, new bolt handle with correct geometry, ignition timing tuned, M16 extractor and bushed pin, pinned rail and lug.

I have actions I prefer to work with and each has points that need looked at where improvements can be made, I don't like an action to just make things go bang, I want smooth function and cycling, I want each one to be the best that it can be and for me there is a lot more to it than just going bang and shooting decent.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts