Is 325wsm too much gun for Northern Whitetails & Black Bear

Gday Ckgworks
Yup.....and don't put one those brake things on it or you'll crack yer windshield.

Or do this to a mirror šŸ¤£

But I love my brakes šŸ˜±
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 32
Gday
98s1 lightning

A general thing I've watched is the larger the meplat the less velocity is needed
Now put the 2 together yep big meplat impacting fast & watch the magic happen
( pill choice still needed )

The rest is easy as the guys previously mentioned

I leave you with no such thing as overkill its authority

Cheers

I have a 325 WSM built on a Win 70 short action, 23" Benchmark Win sportier barrel contour, and McMillan Edge stock. I have found the 325 WSM to be a very versatile cartridge. I use 160 TTSX for smaller deer like black-tail, as well as hogs, and I've used 200 gr Accubonds with great success on elk and mule deer. I recently worked up a load with 180 TSX bullets with RL16, and really like that combo. I have a lot of different rifles and would get bored with just one.

Hello, I had a 325 built on a 700 action when the cartridge first came out and not to heard of. I had a muzzle brake installed during the building process. In my opinion, this gun shoots no harder than my 30-06's. I do not down load any guns except for .38 specials for my wife.
I have bad shoulders.
Hope this helps.

As others have mentionedā€¦it will get the job done.

I'd be more worried about components and/or ammo. Good luck finding anything for that caliber in this day and ageā€¦.

As far as meat damage goesā€¦don't shoot the the shoulders or hams and you'll have minimal meat damageā€¦with any caliber.

I got to disagree if your after the meat harvest, too much can bloodshoot it and/or destroy it with a huge hole.
if your to cheap to buy quality ammo, yes you have a point. Shoot premium ammo and this isn't much concern, but everyone knows that you get what you pay for. I'm always amazed at when it comes to ammo so many people try to become penny pinchers as if that's going to save? Like buying 100k vehicle and complaining about $5cent higher gas is breaking them! :)

325 WSM brass is available, surprisingly Nosler did a run last year or the year before, and it's still on the shelves since it's not a high demand cartridge. I recently purchased two bags of 325 Winchester brass online for $50 a bag, again not a high demand cartridge. Even during the height of COVID stupidity I could find 325 WSM brass. 8mm bullets are also availably, Nosler did a run of 200 gr Accubonds last year, and Barnes produced 8mm bullets in 2023 as well. I've been tempted to try Hammer bullets in my 325 WSM, that 198 Hammer Hunter looks like a killer!

I ran a 325WSM for Northern WI deer; still have it, but it doesn't see use that often these days. It is a great cartridge and deserved better reception than what it got. A 225-230grn high bc 8mm bullet in a LW Tikka - or similar action with enough COAL, would be fantastic for elk and moose in steep country that you have to walk a long way to access.

Such as it is, I feel like most OEM loads for the 325WSM feature bullets that are more heavily constructed than what is optimum for deer. I used both the 220 PP and 200 NAB on deer and had pass through performance with relatively little organ damage. Recovered the animals, but it was clear to see that regular cup and core bullets from a 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM are, in many cases, quicker killers for the majority of shots at WT deer.

Were I to run it for deer sized game in the future, I'd maybe try some bullets made for the 8mm Mauser and run them at similar velocities to what they're designed for.

Sadly, my 325 languishes in the safe these days. It's a victim of being a minimally popular niche cartridge for which bullet development hasn't kept pace. It's also difficult and expensive to track down ammo and reloading components for, so I tend reach for the rigs that can be shot more economically.

Last edited: