6x too much for deep south whitetail hunting

jgleas114

Browsing the classifieds I came across a scope that matches most of what I am looking for. Is 6x too much for white hunting? Most of my kills are 100 + yards.

Straight power scopes, i usually shy away from.
While they are usually fairly rugged & light weight, they lack the versatility of a variable.

And i've learned years ago that 6 power on the low end isn't a good choice for a hunting scope.

Back in the day, we all hunted with 4x scopes. That seems about right for out to 200 yards. I set my variable scopes to 2.5 or 3 for the close shots. I've seen guys not be able to find the animal because they had the scope set at 9x.

Field of view matters. I once missed a chance at a javelina at 5 yards. The FOV in my 2x pistol scope was inches at that range. I found open sights that mount to the scope for those close shots, and have never needed it since.

It really depends on your terrain. In the south, I've hunted large cleared fields where I would like 25 or 30x and I've hunted pine cuts where a red dot would be perfect. If your shots are 100+ yards, I'm guessing you're not doing driven hunts with dogs in pine or heavy vegetation areas. I have an uncle that loves fixed 6x and uses it for near and to a couple hundred yards but that is what he's hunted with his whole life. I like flexibility and like a 3-18 or 4-16.

When I lived in the South and still when I return to hunt, often, I used 3x-9x scopes but in wide angle versions. While I usually set the power to either 3x or 4x, there were many times I would set it to 6x when stand hunting fields, short brush areas, cut overs, power lines or larger timber that were more open. However for most, it is easier to locate deer with a lower power at shorter ranges, and hitting deer at moderate ranges with a 3x-4x is no real issue.

If you are proficient at using scopes in fast pointing and snap shooting or plan to only hunt more open areas, you can make the 6x work, but there could always be those times an unexpected animal gets in close or jumps when you are walking.

Having hunted in the south most of my life, maybe I can help! Three power on the low end, even two power is the most useful. Get the best variable power you can afford in a 3-9 x50 or 2-7x40. Bright clear glass, best you can afford. My deep woods scopes are mostly 3-9. I prefer the firedot reticle, but its not nessassary. Sig makes a hell fire quad reticle that works the same. I've shot deer close enough for powder burns. If you're in mix timber and fields adjust to higher powers. JMO.

Browsing the classifieds I came across a scope that matches most of what I am looking for. Is 6x too much for white hunting? Most of my kills are 100 + yards.
Unless it's real close not a problem. The fov is important. I prefer 3-15, 4-16 but 6-24 is doable if the fov is good. This is second fp scope. 1st focal plane 6x reticle can be hard to see.

I hunted with a straight 8 power or Kahles 8 x 56 for 20 years or more. I liked it. Now with a variable I may turn down but not often. Most of my variables stay at 7 or higher all the time. I also never even consider an objective smaller than 50mm and the smallest I own is 56mm. You'll appreciate that in low light.

Recent Posts