Insulated Hunting Boots

Doc88

Do I need insulated hunting boots to hunt Colorado early November Steamboat Springs area Craig, CO to be exact ? I have Solomon 4GTX whatevers but was thinking about the Kenetrek Mountain boots 400g Insulted. I have good socks but I'm a little cold natured and 56 years old. Not familiar with the area so just seeking some advice. Thanks.

Never owned Kenetrek, but I have a pair of Danner Sierra and can't imagine a better, more comfortable boot. The Danner Sierra, Elk Hunter, Trophy and maybe others are made in the USA and come waterproof and insulated. Mine are 200 g insulted and I wear them all hunting season, unless the snow it over a foot and below zero temps, otherwise, they are plenty warm for me.

If you plan on hiking a lot your Solomons paired with some good socks and gaiters should do just fine. If you will be sitting a lot you may want to look into some insulated boots. If you go with insulated, I do own the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes with 400g insulation and absolutly love them. I actually wear them no matter the weather or temperature. Good luck on your hunt!

Do I need insulated hunting boots to hunt Colorado early November Steamboat Springs area Craig, CO to be exact ? I have Solomon 4GTX whatevers but was thinking about the Kenetrek Mountain boots 400g Insulted. I have good socks but I'm a little cold natured and 56 years old. Not familiar with the area so just seeking some advice. Thanks.
I too wear Kenetreks no matter the weather. I hunted first season Colorado, last year in snow that fell the week before. Sunny areas got sloppy, shady areas got crunchy, cold in the morning. Never wore my uninsulated boots.
If you're going to buy a pair you better do it this weekend and get them broken in.

I'm going 3rd rifle season in Colorado. My feet are the only part of my body that gets cold and if they get cold my whole body gets cold. So it's insulated boots for me. I will be wearing my Schnee's pack boots with the wool inserts as well as darn tough wool socks.

I spent today trudging around in the snow with uninsulated leather boots. The Gore-tex lining kept my feet dry, but the snow made my feet very cold even with a nice wool sock. If I'm not in the snow I'll wear non-insulated boots down to well below freezing, but with snow I'll take the insulation.

Son has been hunting in 12" of snow for 4 days this 2nd season for deer. Very cold conditions. I used to hunt up west of Steamboat and I'd for sure be wearing pac boots that time of year. Good luck to you.

Son has been hunting in 12" of snow for 4 days this 2nd season for deer. Very cold conditions. I used to hunt up west of Steamboat and I'd for sure be wearing pac boots that time of year. Good luck to you.

Took my brother backcountry elk hunting (DIY) in CO for 2nd rifle. We got over a foot of snow, temps to 12F (never above freezing), decided to leave area as we were concerned 1) if we got an elk we wouldn't be able to get it all out, and 2) our path back to truck included some very sketchy terrain (steep scramble), particularly with snow.

you'll be happy to have insulated boots. You might have weather where you think "man, I could have gotten by without these insulated boots," but if you don't have them you have a reasonable chance to think "man, why didn't I get those insulated boots?"

Both my brother and I had 400gram insulation, gore Tex boots and did well with them. Feet were never too warm, but with toe warmers when sitting at dawn also weren't ever too cold.

Good luck

Attachments

• 3ED08C5C-EBF9-49CD-9E56-34CF4D8C7109.jpeg
    3ED08C5C-EBF9-49CD-9E56-34CF4D8C7109.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 143
If you didn't catch it, with a few of the replys, gators are huge to keep your feet and all both dry and much warmer! I will recommend Kuiu which I have. Bombproof tough but not fleece quiet. I have the yukon and newer version too... My son used marmot or similar for a week in snow. Were ok too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts