Idaho wolf control board seeks $200,000 to kill wolves

I think there were more permits than that. And late bull seasons. I had the numbers once. Wish I could find them. But, hunters hammering cows late into winter couldn't have been an issue, could it? mtmuley
313 Gardiner unit, 300 for private land only. Until Feb 15th.
The 2,000 I was referring to in the late nineties were late season in block times with 100 either sex all in January and febuary.

We were shooting elk like that and the numbers were still rising, I believe the all time high was some were around 18,500 I think it's down in the neighborhood of 6-8 now.

We were shooting elk like that and the numbers were still rising, I believe the all time high was some were around 18,500 I think it's down in the neighborhood of 6-8 now.
So it's ok to kill cows by the thousands into February? If the numbers were rising could you post info? mtmuley

@mtmuley
But, hunters hammering cows late into winter couldn't have been an issue, could it? mtmuley

So it's ok to kill cows by the thousands into February? If the numbers were rising could you post info? mtmuley

I'll ask again since it appears you missed it, and I'm curios as to how you feel:

Just curious mtmuley......Is this the hunters fault, or DFW who issued the tags fault?

Google Yellowstone elk herd numbers theres some good info, 19,000 elk in 1994 and some good charts on the elk decline after the 1995 introduction of the wolf

They were as low as around 4,000 just a few years ago, they are doing a little better other last couple years. Seems to me mtmuley your insinuating hunters are responsible for the demise of 11,000 elk.

They were as low as around 4,000 just a few years ago, they are doing a little better other last couple years. Seems to me mtmuley your insinuating hunters are responsible for the demise of 11,000 elk.
Nope. Not insinuating that at all. mtmuley

So is it o.k to let wolves reduce the herd from 19,000 to as low as 4,000.
what are you getting at anyway.
in my opinion it was better to let 2,000 cow elk to go into familys freezers to feed them instead of the wolves slaughtering them

Screenshot_20190125-133908_Google.jpg

So is it o.k to let wolves reduce the herd from 19,000 to as low as 4,000.
what are you getting at anyway.
in my opinion it was better to let 2,000 cow elk to go into familys freezers to feed them instead of the wolves slaughtering them
Ok? Not for me to say. But wolves were not the only reason for the reduction of the GNEH. I hunt wolves. I've seen them. I've killed one. And no, I don't think 2000 cow elk, or whatever number it happened to be was a good idea. mtmuley

I knew of 4 different packs that were local and no real problem, never did you find dozens of animals killed, rarely had them in livestock. Smaller in size than what we have now, they are gone, replaced by what we have now!
********. mtmuley

Ok? Not for me to say. But wolves were not the only reason for the reduction of the GNEH. I hunt wolves. I've seen them. I've killed one. And no, I don't think 2000 cow elk, or whatever number it happened to be was a good idea. mtmuley
So is it coincidence that the elk numbers started declining when they brought the Canadiens wolf in? The herds of the late eighties and early nineties were growing despite the 2,000 late elk tags. So what would have been your answer to reduce herds in that period other than try to hunt them. Theres only one thing that changed when the elk herds started tumbling WOLFS!!! Like it or not.

It's the SAME wolf. Before intro or after. I get that some herds were impacted. After wolves, Billy Bob elk hunter couldn't count on that easy pregnant cow anymore. Sure, quotas were cut in some places. Most are rebounding. Wolves and elk in the same place. Wow. mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.