How did you find us here at LRH.com?

I'm new to the site as of today. I am a longtime fan and participant and student of the shooting sports, a firearms enthusiast, reloaded, hunter and certified gunsmith ( not just self proclaimed) NRA member and supporter that enjoys learning as much as I can from others as well as sharing knowledge and experiences that I have had over the years. Generally enjoy talking firearms, hunting and reloading with others that enjoy it as well regardless of their knowledge or experience level. I live in the coastal mountains of Oregon , I have seen the site before but felt compelled to join after doing a web search on pressure bedding and found a thread that I thought I could shed some light on to individuals that had posted there. Look forward to being an active member and participant. Thank you to those individuals that started the site.

Mornin/Evenin yall.
I found this place by Googling 22K Hornett, which is my latest rifle that i havent even fired yet.
The rifle is a Zastava M85 second hand and is in the Gunsmiths at the moment Getting a Big Bore Kit put in it (Kilbourne).
I was reading here somewhere about resizing standard Hornet brass with a 6MM br fl die, then the K hornet die, to better form the brass, now all I gotta do is find where that post was hiding in here.

GUS

I'm new to the site as of today. I am a longtime fan and participant and student of the shooting sports, a firearms enthusiast, reloaded, hunter and certified gunsmith ( not just self proclaimed) NRA member and supporter that enjoys learning as much as I can from others as well as sharing knowledge and experiences that I have had over the years. Generally enjoy talking firearms, hunting and reloading with others that enjoy it as well regardless of their knowledge or experience level. I live in the coastal mountains of Oregon , I have seen the site before but felt compelled to join after doing a web search on pressure bedding and found a thread that I thought I could shed some light on to individuals that had posted there. Look forward to being an active member and participant. Thank you to those individuals that started the site.

LG22 It looks like we are the Greenest Gringoes on the Forum.:)
The post about the 22K Hornet brass sounded about right to me so that is why I joined.
Welcome
GUS

I used to use the "BigGameInfo" calculator, and it was much more user friendly.
Not all of my ballistic calculations are long range.
I can't find "Hornady #35105" bullet.

I was watching a hunting show on tv and you cought my attention and I saw the web link .and went to web site thanks. hopefully I can find answers to my questions and buy one of your rifles?:).

I have a couple AR uppers I assembled in 223 - one has a 24" SS fluted barrel and the
other has a 16" light-weight barrel.

The 1st one is my Target Shootin' or Prairie Dog Hunting' upper.
The 2nd is my Huntin' upper - coyotes, antelope, deer, wildebeests, etc...

I assembled my 1st AR about a year ago - My 1st AR & My 1st 223 cal. rifle!!
Never even shot a 223 before.

Anyway, I am now a really big fan of the 223/5.56 caliber!
Fairly inexpensive and fun to reload and very pleasant to shoot.

I have kind of a "know it all" son-in-law - he IS a really good guy!!
He's pretty into the "long range stuff" and is pretty knowledgeable on the subject.

But he's kind of a:

Image doesn't totally fit what I'm saying - But most stuff he's learned from the internet.

He pretty well looks down on the "run of the mill" calibers like the 223 and the 308.
I also have a Remington 788 in 308... I've owned it for 20+ years.
Old and boring and outdated calibers... For him - Wildcats are where it's at!!
That puny 223 is about worthless - not even powerful enough to kill a deer... )-:

So I thought what the hell - Somebody has to be shooting a 223 long range.
Certainly not the best choice - But - It's a very popular caliber!!

And it wasn't just the son-in-law... I was pretty curious myself!! :D

So, I punched "223 long range shooting" into my DuckDuckGo search engine and a link
to an article called "Shooting A 223 Rifle To A Mile Accurately" By Jerry Teo showed up...
Here on LRH.

A MILE with a 223?
I wasn't expecting the "long range" to be a Mile!! :)

I thought it was a great article. It was a straight up and honest as can be look at shooting a 223 a mile.
Mr.Teo showed that it most certainly can be done!!
The conditions have to be right as that little slow bullet is pretty sensitive to the wind.
And the right equipment is needed - as well as a steady, experienced hand.

It was just what I was looking for!! And I thought it was very interesting and fascinating.
And very well written too! :)

After snooping a bit - it looked like LRH has tons of good information!!
So I signed up!! :cool:

I told the son-in-law about the article...
Here it is - accurate long range shooting can be done with a 223!!

He still wasn't all that impressed...

He just shot his antelope today with his 6.5 Creedmoor - Creedemore - Creadmoor??
Ok - his Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CR!!
Looks like a smaller, stubby 308 to me.
The cartridge that is - not the antelope...

During our visits, he often launches off into a bunch of weirdo exotic calibers I've never heard of...
Oh well, he does good tolerating old people that don't "get it"...

I can pretty easily whack a coyote or deer out to about 350 yards with my old calibers and cheap scopes.
And I've whacked a few prairie dogs a little further than that with my target shooting AR.
Which is what I was happy with for a long time.

But with him taunting me...
And this darn forum has really got me thinking...
Maybe it wouldn't hurt to try to improve my long range shooting!!

If I could show him my 40 year old 788 can do a good job shooting at a fair distance,
maybe he'd think my old, wore out gun still works OK.
And us old people aren't so dumb after all...
And Maybe I can work with my Target Shooting AR some more too.

I'll probably have to jack my beloved cheap and used-when-I-bought-it-20-years-ago Simmons scope off my 788.
And my AR has that crappy el-cheapo 6-20x50 NC Star scope - That'll have to go too!!

I saw a Zeiss MC Conquest 6.5-20x50 mil-dot scope on the net tonight for $650.
Target turrets and side focus... Nice!!
They have the same scope with a "Rapid Z 1000 Reticle" for $800.
Its a little like the reticle my NC Star has...
An Interesting looking reticle for sure. I'll have to do some more studying...

I also looked at some Schmidt & Bender scopes...
The price they want for one of them will make your nuts quiver!!
Hell, that's more that every gun I own is worth!!

I don't know... I think I'll stick with my cheap, but works-for-me scopes for a while longer...
If I make that 1st step - I could get hooked for life.
The wife already thinks I have too many expensive hobbies !! :)

Amazing how an article can make you think about spending thousands of dollars!!

Anyway, this is a way-too-long & possibly wondered off subject a bit explanation on how I found LRH.
And I'm glad I did!! gun)

I first came to this site after seeing an episode of 'Hunting the West', or whatever the show is called, or from a link on another site I frequent, ' Beartooth Bullets'. I have a couple of rifles I can 'reach long' ( for me...) with, a Rem. 700 in .270 Win., and a Weatherby Mark 5 in .300 Wby. Mag. Long for me is about 500 yds. max. Still contemplating the 600 to 1000 yds. plus game. Still on the fence with ethics and cost issues, but have no ill will for those here that are successful. I really do enjoy the site, and great advice given by most! Being a more accurate shooter is ALWAYS a good thing in my book. I may give this LONG range shooting a whirl before too long! REALLY interesting rifles and concepts here!
Thanks for the Forum! Lee.

I was looking for reloading equipment and guns when I found lrh website. I like hunting long range so I don't get any smell close to them. I shot a 8point at 380 yards. That's the fatherest I've shot so far. I'm from north Alabama.

I've been shooting and hunting with my sons and extended family for last 30 years or so, mostly whitetails in Michigan woods, with a few trips out of state here and there. I've been out of pocket hunting/shooting-wise for last 2 or 3 years (work got in way), and was looking for ammo for 7mm STW and came across this site.

Welcome to all new members.
I am one of the quiet members from Paarl, South Africa where the heat this summer is overwhelming!
Looking forward to the hunting season starting in May,
Regards
Pieter Willem Vorster