Help: every time I go to Kansas I get pulled over

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
This has been pretty interesting to read. Yes I read all fourteen pages. KYpatriot brings up some good points. This is not anti-LE where some chose to take it. It is not profiling as others have wanted to take it. I live where there are numerous small towns to drive through and the cops have nothing better to do than write tickets. I will say this much it is all about how you deal with an officer. I am not a saint and tend to have a lead foot so I have been pulled over numerous times in my 32 years of driving. Let me see two (2) tickets in at least 20 traffic stops. I told every officer I was speeding, said yes sir or if I noticed a rank I called them by that rank. One time when the speed limit was 55 I got a verbal warning for doing well over the speed limit. Why the verbal warning instead of jail? I was honest with the cop and made him laugh. I told him there was no traffic on the road and wanted to open it up to see how fast I could make that one ton Ford go. As soon as I saw him in the median running radar I shut it down and pulled over and told him before he took me to jail I needed to change my shorts with the speed I was going.
He read me the riot act and put the fear into me not to do it again.

Time to get back on the shooting part of this forum.

Not paranoid. I drive the entire country in the same vehicle. Cross into Kansas and bingo, pulled over.

Lame excuse, one of my two license plate illuminator bulbs was out. It wasn't. Just a lame excuse. only one is required by law and I had two working.

Back when I had a gun pulled on me, no I was coming back from a church function. The gun came out before I even got out of the car.

If the vehicle comes with two plate ill. lights and one is out, its a violation in most states.the lights that come on the vehicle must work.I'm not saying yours was out just stating that if one was out, its a violation in most states.
Police are like any other profession that involve humans, most are great and there is always that 1% that is bad. Down in the southern states you have a lot of Counstibles and volunteer/reserve officers that don't get the same training and sometimes are not supervised or held to the same standards as the full-time officers, doesn't make it right just sayin.
Being in law enforcement for almost 18years before I was injured and forced to retire Im here to tell you the majority of the officers out there are great people and most people have no Idea what they go through day in and day out, and the kinds of personal sacrifices they and their families make for the public everyday they go into work. Do yourself a favor, go down to your local police department and ask to go on a ride along or two with an officer for their shift, see the other side,see from their perspective of why they do certain things. You may get a better understanding of what goes on and may help you get over your fear of the police. I personally feel that everybody should have to do 40hrs ride along with the PD. and Fire dept. and a few other institutions before you can Vote, I mean how can you vote on issues in your community if you have no knowledge of what your voting on. Most agencies would be happy to have you do a ride along, they like seeing people interested in the community and the job they are doing, I can honestly say I took many many people on ride alongs in my career. Its not the easiest thing for an officer to do, have to babysit someone while you are doing your job,writing reports ,worrying about the safety of another person now,but we do it because we want people to see the other side of things and what we do day in and day out.Most people leave with a whole new opinion and respect for there Officers. Just a suggestion good luck.

This has been pretty interesting to read. Yes I read all fourteen pages. KYpatriot brings up some good points. This is not anti-LE where some chose to take it. It is not profiling as others have wanted to take it. I live where there are numerous small towns to drive through and the cops have nothing better to do than write tickets. I will say this much it is all about how you deal with an officer. I am not a saint and tend to have a lead foot so I have been pulled over numerous times in my 32 years of driving. Let me see two (2) tickets in at least 20 traffic stops. I told every officer I was speeding, said yes sir or if I noticed a rank I called them by that rank. One time when the speed limit was 55 I got a verbal warning for doing well over the speed limit. Why the verbal warning instead of jail? I was honest with the cop and made him laugh. I told him there was no traffic on the road and wanted to open it up to see how fast I could make that one ton Ford go. As soon as I saw him in the median running radar I shut it down and pulled over and told him before he took me to jail I needed to change my shorts with the speed I was going.
He read me the riot act and put the fear into me not to do it again.

Time to get back on the shooting part of this forum.

Spot on, people don't realize but they usually set the tone for the whole stop before the officer ever opens their mouth. And a lot of the small agencies making traffic stops because they are doing there jobs, thats what they are payed to do. If its slow you just can't sit around, you are being paid to do a job, if there are no calls for service you have to go out and be proactive or you get your *** chewed out by everyone.Alot of times officers hit a spot hard working traffic because people are calling in complaining, or there are too many accidents or another problem, when the chief says I want you to concentrate on this area thats what you do.Sometimes it for traffic, sometimes Drugs sales, or prostitution, its part of the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.