Hammer Bullets compressing my powder charge.

Ok, moving on. The only measurement I'm going to use is the pic you sent with your digital Caliper. I don't feel safe going back and forth with different calipers.

Take your CBTO measurement of 2.805 and deduct .020. This gives you a CBTO of 2.785. Make a dummy round at this length and check to see if it fits your mag well and then check if it cycles. If it does you can start here. If it doesn't back off another .020 to 2.765 and repeat. Report back your findings if you want to continue.

Attachments

• 20200324_132301.jpg
    20200324_132301.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
Is this what you are looking for.
See post #200. Start there and make a dummy round like I mentioned. Does it cycle and fit in your magwell? if it doesn't, You can then adjust your die to seat bullet deeper .020 if needed. All measurements using CBTO and your digital caliper. Report back. I think you're going to find you can start working a load up in the mid 40 powder charges. Just because you may have a lot less powder isn't a bad thing. Guys are running the 170 Berger's with mid 40 and low 50 charges.

See post #200. Start there and make a dummy round like I mentioned. Does it cycle and fit in your magwell? if it doesn't, You can then adjust your die to seat bullet deeper .020 if needed. All measurements using CBTO and your digital caliper. Report back. I think you're going to find you can start working a load up in the mid 40 powder charges. Just because you may have a lot less powder isn't a bad thing. Guys are running the 170 Berger's with mid 40 and low 50 charges.
What caused my problem is I thought I could use lead bullet load data. Less powder and longer OL and I should be good to go. Thank you all for the help.

What caused my problem is I thought I could use lead bullet load data. Less powder and longer OL and I should be good to go. Thank you all for the help.
Did you get it to cycle and fit your magwell. If so, start with low powder charges and work up. Patience, doing things consistent, is of the utmost importance when reloading. Go slow, most mistakes are made when we rush and get frustrated. Suggestion- Only use one Caliper and buy a good quality one, I prefer digital. Always double check your math as it's very easy to make a mistake. Good luck!

PS- let's us know the muzzle velocity you get on that new "coronagraph"! Just messing with ya.

Did you get it to cycle and fit your magwell. If so, start with low powder charges and work up. Patience, doing things consistent, is of the utmost importance when reloading. Go slow, most mistakes are made when we rush and get frustrated. Suggestion- Only use one Caliper and buy a good quality one, I prefer digital. Always double check your math as it's very easy to make a mistake. Good luck!

PS- let's us know the muzzle velocity you get on that new "coronagraph"! Just messing with ya.
Yes it will fit my mag. Winter has come back to up state NY so it may be a few days, yes I am living behind enemy lines.

I am reloading hammer bullets for the first time and when I install the bullet in my brass it goes deep into the powder. I have only loaded with lead bullets to this point and have never put a bullet that deep into the powder. I am loading for my .270 and using N165 it is the best powder for this rifle.
What model? What twist? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts