Hammer Bullets compressing my powder charge.

Tech4

I am reloading hammer bullets for the first time and when I install the bullet in my brass it goes deep into the powder. I have only loaded with lead bullets to this point and have never put a bullet that deep into the powder. I am loading for my .270 and using N165 it is the best powder for this rifle.

I am reloading hammer bullets for the first time and when I install the bullet in my brass it goes deep into the powder. I have only loaded with lead bullets to this point and have never put a bullet that deep into the powder. I am loading for my .270 and using N165 it is the best powder for this rifle.
I have found rl 23 to be a great powder for the 270 also had great luck with hybrid 100v

Lead is much shorter for the same weight as copper.

Which Hammer are you using?
What magazine length?
Are you willing to single load?
Not familiar with that powder, how much of a load (weight) is being used?
It's possible you may wish to use another bullet, Steve has traded back if you need to use another bullet. The 145 Shock Hammer works well in standard magazines and twists.
Good Luck!

I have done load development with other bullets and the powder charge has worked well with the other bullets I use so I thought I would try it but stopped when I saw how deep the bullet would be going in the powder.

Did you do any seating depth measurements in your chamber with that bullet? You need to do full load development, which includes seating depth. Just because you've done load development with other bullets, doesn't mean that powder charge and seating depth will work for every other bullet.

Most of my experience with the .270 is with H4831 SC. Depending on brass 55-58 grains is about all I've seen it hold, with a bullet, in a standard magazine.
If you can't seat it differently due to magazine or chamber limits, a change of powder, or bullet will be needed.
I like that bullet in my son in laws rifle.

Max OL is 2.77 I am seating the bullet at 2.669. The bullet is hitting the powder with .5 of the bullet to go in to cover the top ring. If I removed powder so the bullet doesn't touch I only have 39gr of powder in the case min is 51gr.That would blow up my rifle. On their website they say not to compress the load so how can I possibly do that is my question?

You shouldn't just throw a charge that works with another totally different bullet. That is asking for trouble. Maybe look at the Barnes book to get an idea.
Also, without checking bullet seating depth to lands, you can't just use what your seating die is already set up for.

And since you gave no data on powder, charge weight, brass, etc., hard to give better advice other than don't blow yourself up.

If you are compressing powder that bad, I am betting something is way wrong. No way is max COAL 2.700". The case alone is 2.540" max. Unless you are talking .270WSM. But saying ".270" usually means ".270 Win" in the shooting circles.

If you mean ".270WSM", then 2.750ish would be correct for a SAAMI round. But until you do a seating depth check, you don't know where your bullet to lands length actually is.

How do you know N165 is "the best powder for the rifle" if you are just starting to reload for that 145 Hammer?

Last edited:
In my 270 ( 24" bbl ) 59.5grs Rel 19 with the Barnes 130gr TTSX seated deeply gives 3211 fps with out the slightest sign of pressure. This load right out of the Barnes manual. Don't sweat the powder compression.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.