Hammer Bullets compressing my powder charge.

What started this was I haven't loaded copper before and wasn't sure about the rings on the bullet and thought would be a good starting point that I could adjust when I needed to. I know that is not what I need to do now it was the first one and I knew this was a problem and thought I would ask for help. Sorry I gave you a guss without go to get the exact number. I can't move it out far enough for the powder not to be compressed was my point to start with.

Well if your chamber is saami spec you should be able to move your bullet out almost 35-40 thousandths from the prior measurement you sent and it should cycle.? Check and see. Less powder may not be a bad thing and some loads are compressed and perform extremely efficiently. As I stated in a prior post where I included load data, some starting charges on that load were in the mid 40's. You may be surprised with what you get in the low to mid 40's. Did Steve give you a starting load when he got back with you.

I get what you are saying but the base as I have always understood it is part of the case head. Otherwise they wouldn't call it CBTO (cartridge base to ogive).

Attachments

• 20200324_111209.jpg
    20200324_111209.jpg
    847.6 KB · Views: 76
Please learn how to read dial calipers before further loading anymore ammo. As @Creedmoor shooter said, that is 3.043" not 3.450". That's 0.407 difference in length. That is where your issues are coming from.
Like said I didn't go down stairs to get the number that was the number I that I thought I got I without checking to be sure I will not make that mistake again.

I did my own powder ladder test the how I know this powder is better than other powders for by rifle.
[/QUOTE
Good to know. But, to me your question sounded like you were loading it for the first time. My statement still stands regarding someone assuming that they will achieve the same results that are printed in loading information as you probably know.

copper bullets for the first time. I take little from the book I use a coronagraph and adjust bullet seating depth and powder charge to develop my load.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.