Gun Tripod

I use RRS with the Anvil for competitions and hunting. They make the most stable platform with less weight than the competition. I have two of the Leofoto rip-off copies at half the price. You have to get a heavier Leofoto to get the same stability as the RRS.

I'm trying my best to eliminate China produced products going forward. Of course this eliminates most of the inexpensive tripods. I don't need a tripod that will hold up to daily use, but need one that is a solid platform for shooting and glassing. I was hoping to find this in the $500 range with a suitable head made somewhere besides China. Ideas?
I believe Slik are made in Japan, so that might be an option. They make quality stuff and pricing is pretty good. Other than that, I'm not sure who else out there is made in USA. I've heard of Colorado Tripod Company but I'm not sure if they are made here or just assembled with foreign parts, although I believe their heads are machined here.

Don't worry guys I know the bog pod is not in the same class as most other tripods mentioned here but I've spent too much money elsewhere. I don't use one all that often, so it works for me.
Are you using the aluminum or carbon fiber? I have a buddy using their aluminum set and they work for him. He typically doesn't travel too far from the truck though.

Depends on your use case, if all you are doing is shooting off it a handful of times a year then yeah it doesn't make sense to spend that much.

In my case I bought the RRS Ascend-14L and I use it all the time for a multitude of different things. I take it with me pretty much everywhere I go for use with my spotting scope, binoculars, camera, phone and occasionally to shoot off. I even keep it set up with a spotting scope in my family room so my fiancé can watch the birds on her bird feeder in the back yard. I can then easily pack it up, stick it in a bag and go for a walk in the park with it or pack it to the shore and the mountains for glassing and photo purposes.

Its been responsible for family photos on vacation, photos of the guys on hunting trips, pictures of a bald eagle on a New Years Eve walk, photos of a sailing ship in the Dominican and it will be going on my honeymoon to Yellowstone in a couple months, so I have definitely been getting my money's worth.

Heck I even used it as a drying rack once when I washed all my wool hunting gear after the season and ran out of places to dry it.
I use my high dollar Manfrotto the same way... I even use it with a 102mm MAK telescope!!!

I guess it really depends a lot on your expected use on average versus a one time event?
Bog, pod, death grip
I have the aluminum version, rock solid and it should be on how heavy it is. I use it for Indiana field hunting and works great for under $300. I killed my biggest WT (161 7/8) buck with it and shot was solid. I would buy their carbon one for other uses in mountains. Is it engineered with lightest materials with head options? No but at my age and need works fine. I think the overall need requires serious thought to confirm what do you expect it to do? Multiple tasks?

I guess it really depends a lot on your expected use on average versus a one time event?

I have the aluminum version, rock solid and it should be on how heavy it is. I use it for Indiana field hunting and works great for under $300. I killed my biggest WT (161 7/8) buck with it and shot was solid. I would buy their carbon one for other uses in mountains. Is it engineered with lightest materials with head options? No but at my age and need works fine. I think the overall need requires serious thought to confirm what do you expect it to do? Multiple tasks?
I have the aluminum one honestly for the last year it holds my spotting scope, and my phone scope to video range sessions but I just got my first thermal and it will be holding my coyote gun at night on coyote hunts in Mississippi. There are also some hogs there.

I'm trying my best to eliminate China produced products going forward. Of course this eliminates most of the inexpensive tripods. I don't need a tripod that will hold up to daily use, but need one that is a solid platform for shooting and glassing. I was hoping to find this in the $500 range with a suitable head made somewhere besides China. Ideas?
Look at Manfrotto tripods, their carbons start right @ 400.00, less on sites like Cameraland... I have used mine at 12k ft. elevation in sub zero temps to shooting football games in rainy gritty muddy valley temps. They're made in Italy not china CRAP!!!

Would you please care to share the info on your tripod - I'm looking for a better solution which is more portable as well as stable.
Thanks!
Stretch
It's a Revic Hunter tripod. $500 US, very strong and stable. Carbon fiber so it's reasonably light. Can use from sitting to standing. Comes with two adaptor plates 1/4" to arca you can use to mount your spotting scope and Hogs head with. There's a different head available that is more geared towards glassing but this one is stronger, can support up to 44 lbs. https://www.revicoptics.com/shop/pd-g2050-revic-stabilizer-hunter-tripod-22103#attr=. Revic is owned by Gunwerks.

Spartan precision is very modular, light, and quick to connect/disconnect but I have no first hand experience.

Well, I don't have one, so take this with a grain of salt. My ball head is pretty small and adds like 6" in height and is the heaviest part of the tripod. Makes everything long.

a bowl can have a short ARCA clamp mounted and the tripod is shorter with less of a mass hanging off the end.

Honestly, I'd be interested in your experience. I have only used my cheaper aluminum tripod( and 30-40mm ball head). It is stable and supports the weight.
I guess it depends on what you mean by a bowl. I'll post pictures below, but a bowl is shorter like you said but it's usually fairly wide. Unless you mean something like the RRS apex or whatever they call it that's more low profile than a traditional bowl.

This is what I'd consider a bowl. They are fairly
Bulky and don't pack slim at all, but they are lower to the tripod so generally more stable

C0A1C22D-B346-4A77-9FFC-3062E883633C.jpeg

In reference to tripods a bowl is generally considered a video bowl, usually 75mm or 100mm. It's used for leveling bases. Is that what you mean?

I think your referring to the base or spider.

Recent Posts