Gun Tripod

I have a Revic tripod with an ARCA interface as well as a Hogs head I really like. Have only practiced with it at the range a couple of times and at a shooting course but so far so good.

Suspect the RRS is nicer kit, as well as the Spartan precision stuff but hard to find and buy here in Canada. May still buy a Spartan precision bipod and adaptor for my tripod. Very lightweight and much quicker to mount/I mount from the bipod/tripod as needed. Joseph Von Benedikt really likes their stuff and I like what I've seen.

Holding out for the Gunwerks bipod that's rumored to be coming out this year. I've had a bit of gear creep and already have more than I use.

Bottom line: I think tripods are such a game changer that if you find a decent one you like the price, feel, and stability of it'll make a huge difference for you.

Advanced search is your friend on this topic. Dozens of threads. Anytime I am told what I must do or have to do when it comes to what equipment I have or want.....I listen for only the item and round file the rest of the must, have to, etc. etc. I pack a 2lb 2oz three leg tripod for my hike in hunts. Yes 2lb 2oz and it is super stable and with the bino/rifle mount...2lb 6oz and I paid $75. Last fall my buddy laughed at me and called me the usual names as he had just purchased a $300 carbon Leupold 3lb 6oz bling bling. On the hunt he tried mine "hello I guess you were right". Best part......on the 10 mile hike out luckily I saw one of his lower legs fall off twice. It will not stay in and fell out on a cat hunt two days ago again.

I've been looking at tripods for some time now. If $$ was no object or I was competing with the tripod, I would probably look at the top of the line. Everyone has their own priorities. I like nice things, but over $1500 for a tripod and head is blowing my mind. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies here.

I have this one and can shoot from bench, prone , sitting and standing. Have a hogsaddle on it now but changing to a arca rail.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230307_131938_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230307_131938_Chrome.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 48
I have a Revic tripod with an ARCA interface as well as a Hogs head I really like. Have only practiced with it at the range a couple of times and at a shooting course but so far so good.

Suspect the RRS is nicer kit, as well as the Spartan precision stuff but hard to find and buy here in Canada. May still buy a Spartan precision bipod and adaptor for my tripod. Very lightweight and much quicker to mount/I mount from the bipod/tripod as needed. Joseph Von Benedikt really likes their stuff and I like what I've seen.

Holding out for the Gunwerks bipod that's rumored to be coming out this year. I've had a bit of gear creep and already have more than I use.

Bottom line: I think tripods are such a game changer that if you find a decent one you like the price, feel, and stability of it'll make a huge difference for you.
Would you please care to share the info on your tripod - I'm looking for a better solution which is more portable as well as stable.
Thanks!
Stretch

Advanced search is your friend on this topic. Dozens of threads. Anytime I am told what I must do or have to do when it comes to what equipment I have or want.....I listen for only the item and round file the rest of the must, have to, etc. etc. I pack a 2lb 2oz three leg tripod for my hike in hunts. Yes 2lb 2oz and it is super stable and with the bino/rifle mount...2lb 6oz and I paid $75.
Any chance you could share the info on your 3-leg tripod & the head you're using?
I realize today's prices may be higher but I'm looking for a stable AND portable tripod. I hate making purchases without being able to test drive them-at least to some extent!
Thanks,
Stretch

I think it is the opposite. Bowls are usually the opposite of compact and elegant.
Well, I don't have one, so take this with a grain of salt. My ball head is pretty small and adds like 6" in height and is the heaviest part of the tripod. Makes everything long.

a bowl can have a short ARCA clamp mounted and the tripod is shorter with less of a mass hanging off the end.

Honestly, I'd be interested in your experience. I have only used my cheaper aluminum tripod( and 30-40mm ball head). It is stable and supports the weight.

I've been looking at tripods for some time now. If $$ was no object or I was competing with the tripod, I would probably look at the top of the line. Everyone has their own priorities. I like nice things, but over $1500 for a tripod and head is blowing my mind. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies here.

Depends on your use case, if all you are doing is shooting off it a handful of times a year then yeah it doesn't make sense to spend that much.

In my case I bought the RRS Ascend-14L and I use it all the time for a multitude of different things. I take it with me pretty much everywhere I go for use with my spotting scope, binoculars, camera, phone and occasionally to shoot off. I even keep it set up with a spotting scope in my family room so my fiancé can watch the birds on her bird feeder in the back yard. I can then easily pack it up, stick it in a bag and go for a walk in the park with it or pack it to the shore and the mountains for glassing and photo purposes.

Its been responsible for family photos on vacation, photos of the guys on hunting trips, pictures of a bald eagle on a New Years Eve walk, photos of a sailing ship in the Dominican and it will be going on my honeymoon to Yellowstone in a couple months, so I have definitely been getting my money's worth.

Heck I even used it as a drying rack once when I washed all my wool hunting gear after the season and ran out of places to dry it.

Any chance you could share the info on your 3-leg tripod & the head you're using?
I realize today's prices may be higher but I'm looking for a stable AND portable tripod. I hate making purchases without being able to test drive them-at least to some extent!
Thanks,
Stretch
Absolutely and agree on the test drive things first if you can. I'm 6-1. Mine is a Vanguard Mak S with a Leupold bino rest w/velcro strap. I will never argue against heavier and more massive tripod COULD provide more stability. This is rock solid for me from sitting to standing.

Attachments

• IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
    663 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    755.8 KB · Views: 86
Inorrel RT-90 or Artcise AS90C from Amazon. It's definitely hefty but I'm looking for a rock solid platform for thermal hunting. Mine was just delivered the other day and seems awesome for the price. Saving for a RRS anvil 30 which should make a nice combo.

Advanced search is your friend on this topic. Dozens of threads. Anytime I am told what I must do or have to do when it comes to what equipment I have or want.....I listen for only the item and round file the rest of the must, have to, etc. etc. I pack a 2lb 2oz three leg tripod for my hike in hunts. Yes 2lb 2oz and it is super stable and with the bino/rifle mount...2lb 6oz and I paid $75. Last fall my buddy laughed at me and called me the usual names as he had just purchased a $300 carbon Leupold 3lb 6oz bling bling. On the hunt he tried mine "hello I guess you were right". Best part......on the 10 mile hike out luckily I saw one of his lower legs fall off twice. It will not stay in and fell out on a cat hunt two days ago again.
So what kind/ model do you have