Looking at the Gunwerks Revic hunter stabilizer tripod and RRS tripod

i feel your pain
I am usually not lost, and if I am I rarely admit it lol. However in this situation I wanted input before spending 2k or whatever to get into a good tripod and then hate it. Thanks for the input.

RRS are awesome, but I'm my opinion the two vets are just as nice . I sold my rrs and now have 2 of the 2vets with there 55MM Dual Tension Ballheads with an Area 419 ARCALOCK CLAMP I use one to shoot off and one with the mod dos if I'm going to be glassing for a long time. Or I throw my Hogg saddle on one if a buddy wants to use it and doesn't have a arca rail on there rifle.

So it seems like the tripod quality is closer than the head quality. Meaning the head makes more of a difference than the tripod. Would y'all say that's about right?

Final question and I think I will run over to really right stuff and check out the tripod they have like the one in the classifieds.
It seems like very few of these have center poles, I have always had that center pole for adjustment, is there a disadvantage of using the center pole?

Final question and I think I will run over to really right stuff and check out the tripod they have like the one in the classifieds.
It seems like very few of these have center poles, I have always had that center pole for adjustment, is there a disadvantage of using the center pole?

Generally no center column is more stable as it is mounted directly to the apex of the tripod which is the sturdiest point. Additionally there will always be a bit more movement with the column due to the mechanisms holding it in place.

On the flip side you do lose some of the rapid adjustment capability as you have to adjust the legs for height rather than just lifting or lowering the center column.

The RRS tripods are exceptional. That being said, you could own 3 or 4 of the Revic setups for the same price. I really like the versatility of having the larger Revic Hunter tripod for super stability and the Revic Backpacker tripod for when I need to keep things light and compact. Total owning both is still only $850. But to each is own, if budget isn't an issue, why not own the best. For some, they'd rather put that savings into optics or rifle or other gear. If you're regularly shooting PRS or similar competition, standing off your tripod then maybe the RRS makes more sense. For me, doing a ton of glassing, occasional shooting off the tripod and a few NRL hunter matches here and there, the Revic has been perfect!

Just my opinion but I think a center pole just provides an added potential weak spot in the setup............

Tidus56 I have both of the Gunwerks tripods and love them. I also have the fluid head for glassing. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Are they better than RRS? Probably Not! But for the money it will do everything you could possibly need. The one instance given by another poster on being able to quickly elevate the center post to make a shot is valid but how often would that happen in the real world I am not sure. I have quite a few Gunwerks products and one of there rifles with a built in arca rail and it will sit all day on either tripod. Everything Gunwerks makes is for hunting and long range hunting so that's what I consider when making purchases. I would recommend the hunter for shooting and backpack for glassing but either will do both. The hunter is just taller and more robust. Plus I cant imagine the RRS is a $1000 better in any way shape or form! Hope it helps you out. Either way your going to get a fantastic product and add to your outdoor experience!
Happy Hunting

I have used the Leofoto arca shooting system w/great success last hunting season. Very stable system. Go to youtube and find McHorter rifles. They have a great video on this system

Generally no center column is more stable as it is mounted directly to the apex of the tripod which is the sturdiest point. Additionally there will always be a bit more movement with the column due to the mechanisms holding it in place.

On the flip side you do lose some of the rapid adjustment capability as you have to adjust the legs for height rather than just lifting or lowering the center column.
I know my tripods in the past that I have used I ended up removing the center post on all of them.
First off as said above it it moves the weight above the apex of the tripod which is the most stable place and *** you raise the post it greatly changes the center of gravity making it unstable. I don't want to put my 3000-5000.00 piece of glass on something that the wind can blow over and it happens. I earned my Buddy on a hunt in the Nevada high country about his setup, low and behold his $4000 spotting scope blew over while he went to take a ****. Needles to say he was ****ed when he returned and found the objective lens on his scope was broke. Fluorite glass does not like a direct rock strike to the center of the lens.
Also when using for shooting the same thing applies but even more because you have much more weight sitting on the tripod. Also the center post is another moving part and moving parts have to have tolerances in order to move, the more moving parts the more you are stacking tolerances witch increases play/movement in the tripod.

Last edited: