Gun Dogs

HNDLDR, if I weren't so old and had the energy, I'd drive up and pick one up. Very cute pups! Several spots between MT and CO we could get some training in…LOL!
Careful Ridgewalker depending on where you are in Colorado we could probably make arrangements to bring you one.

Hunting with dogs is a special bond. I have hunted with GWPs for over 35 years. Contemplating a pup in the next year or so as current pair are 9 and 6 years old.

Current pair with a mearns in each of their mouths

Asa at 2 with a double limit of mearns.

Oli with a nice looking male mearns

Last pair Thor (black and white) and Abbey a rescue who turned out to be great
Have never taken a Mearns quail As yet. Want one to mount. MTG

My little girl lab. She will be 10 coming March '24. She has accounted for oh so many upland birds. She started pointing when young and hunted with pointing dogs. Has learned to honor and will flush upon command. With hope I will get a few more years of hunting with her. BTW, she is very spoiled. Good 'nuff! MTG

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpeg
    IMG_2505.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0533.jpeg
    IMG_0533.jpeg
    554.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0027.jpeg
    IMG_0027.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 27
My puppy got to see her first grouse last weekend, unfortunately for her she did not get to eat it no matter how much she wanted too. It is the only grouse we have seen on the property in the past 10 years and since it has a habit of flying down and walking by the vehicles the farmer has deemed it off limits so that hopefully it can make more grouse.

IMG_8066.jpeg
IMG_8067.jpeg

It is the only grouse we have seen on the property in the past 10 years and since it has a habit of flying down and walking by the vehicles the farmer has deemed it off limits so that hopefully it can make more grouse.
The last grouse I seen (2 years ago) had a habit of doing this same thing. I probably seen it 4-5 times that year but haven't seen it or any others since.
It's unfortunate that the numbers are so low.

The last grouse I seen (2 years ago) had a habit of doing this same thing. I probably seen it 4-5 times that year but haven't seen it or any others since.
It's unfortunate that the numbers are so low.
This one has been hanging around for a couple years now and we are hoping the big clear cut on a neighboring property will help bring some more to the area.

We have a good population in the mountains in boreal forest areas. Great table fare. Challenging wing shooting. On occasion I am able to scratch one down. Other times NOT!
BTW, is it roughed or ruffed grouse? MTG

My GSP. He's 8 years old now, but still full of it. The grouse population in my 400 acres of woods on my farm has been rather sparse, despite selective cutting specifically for wildlife 15 years ago. Nothing like when I was a young adult. So we hunt a private pheasant preserve that only has 22 members, and have a blastBern 20.JPGPheasant flush 3 zoom - Copy.jpgGood Boy - Copy.jpg.