Gun Dogs

I'm sure some of you hog hunters will recognize a Dogo Argentino. Not to many of them up here in South Dakota but mine love to hunt up here.
Snapchat-1478928319~2.jpg

20220814_110941.jpg
20221015_104054.jpg
20231021_134402.jpg
20231021_134442.jpg
20231021_143005.jpg
20230423_080203.jpg

And of course, couch dogs that do everything with me...including Halloween.
20221210_204221.jpg
20221030_212653.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG3626.jpg
    IMAG3626.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 28
I'm sure some of you hog hunters will recognize a Dogo Argentino. Not to many of them up here in South Dakota but mine love to hunt up here.
View attachment 505604
View attachment 505596View attachment 505597View attachment 505600View attachment 505601View attachment 505602View attachment 505605

And of course, couch dogs that do everything with me...including Halloween.
View attachment 505599View attachment 505598
They look just like American Bulldogs. I bet they are clowns. 😂

The Mountain Feist has really had my interest for a while. I love squirrel hunting as the bird hunting has really fallen off in my area. I've always wanted a squirrel dog. I really don't deer hunt or big game hunt anymore do to broken back and cancer. Any recommendations?
My friends Mountain Cur passed on . There's been some discussion about getting another. Tennessee seems to be ground zero for squirrel dogs .

Just lost our old girl Addie. Had to put her down last Friday as her hips had been getting worse and went out. She had just turned 11 years old. This is my son getting ready to put her in the truck on the way to the vet. I'm constantly looking for her out of habit.
1698715521441.png

Here was a picture from when Addie was 8mo old. Nick was 11.
If you lived near Middle Georgia, I would give you one. They pretty much train themselves. They are also great family members. Like anything dog related, look for a reputable breeder and get one from them.
Just talked with a friend today that drove right through Georgia from Florida last week. Thank you for the offer.
There may be a couple breeders in Missouri. My cousin has Mountain Currs that he coon hunts but they are constant barkers. He said as well that for mainly squirrels he would stick with a Feist. The old urge to get a Lab again is nagging at me but my wife is saying maybe a Labradoodle. She hates for dogs to shed in the house. Lol.

The old urge to get a Lab again is nagging at me but my wife is saying maybe a Labradoodle. She hates for dogs to shed in the house. Lol.

GRG, I have read good things about labradoodles with both sides breed from hunting stock. Originally poodles had good genes for hunting.

I don't understand why people would ruin a perfectly good dog breed by crossing it with a poodle.
This is true 👇
Originally poodles had good genes for hunting.
I'm a pure bred lab guy and always will be.
What's surprising to me is what they are charging for the so called designer breeds that have zero hunting lineage.

I have always been a Lab guy, first dog I ever bought at 13 was a Lab and last dog was the only one that veered from that was Addie a GS/Lab mix my son picked. 40 yrs of Labs and 11 with 1 Lab mix. One of my best friends from the Army was the same way but also has a Standard poodle, that dog hunts right with his labs. The Labradoodle is a cross with both and though you may not find a Poodle breeder that has hunted their Poodle line much it is easier to find a Labradoodle breeder several generations in that hunts their dogs and breeds with hunters.

My reason for looking at this breed is a lot for the non shedding aspect as well as the much more hypoallergenic aspects of the breed. I don't hunt near as much do to cancer and chemo every week so getting a hard charging hunter isn't as important as a dog that will go everywhere with me and go hunting whatever and whenever I choose to go. In the last 10yrs I have had 3 stem cell transplants, 3 surgeries reinforcing my spine and arm and 5 yrs worth of chemo every week. Through that I have developed some allergies that I never had or suffered from before. The wife and all her family are nurses and the Labradoodle/Doodle lines are something they keep pushing on. My father-in-law and I also owned many coon hounds, anything related is getting a "no" as we live in a small town so the Mountain Feist would be a compromise which is still on the table. If I was younger and healthiier I wouldnt hesitate to buy another Lab and I would be bird hunting all the time like I use to.

This last dog was not registered like all my others. They were all great dogs but this last one was incredibly smart. Its funny, even though she was so smart she never once thought to ask me to see her papers. Maybe she knew she was a mutt and didn't want to bring it up. She might have wanted to start wearing a sweater and eating canned dog food. In my eyes many dog breeds have been crossed until the owners got what they wanted, the best mutt to do the job. I use to go to Rutledge Missouri years ago, a huge swap meet/auction for guns, dogs, potbelly pigs and about everything hillbilly/outdoors. I remember one of my old bird/coon hunting friends was looking at a dog. He asked the owner if he had papers on the dog and the owner said absolutely. He then asked what kind of dog do you want the papers to say he is. My friend said it doesn't matter, the dog cant read can he?

Very good post ^^.
Years ago my buddies daughter wanted a dog so he took her to the local animal shelter. She picked out a approximately 2 year old German shorthair and of course no papers or known history. That dog turned into the best hunter he's (I mean she 🙄) ever had! Maybe the dog had good blood lines or just a natural or she really wanted to please the person who gave her a second chance.