Gun Dogs

0612231857~3.jpg

Our newest little girl. Working more on antlers with her, but my lord is she a beast in the field. Made of spring steel and dynamite as far as i can tell. All that and an adorably crooked grill to boot.😂

Here is my Airedale Scooch. She is young, only 16 months but has been exposed to upland flushing, retrieving, and blood trailing. She loves it all. She retrieves from land and water, and has been wonderful on doves. As of now, the only wild birds she has worked are doves, but duck season opens Monday here and I cant wait to see how the hours of water marking and retrieving we have done translates to real field word.

Attachments

• 20230911_092137.jpg
    20230911_092137.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230904_081857.jpg
    20230904_081857.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 40
Hey Hydehunter, my Dad used to say the same thing, but he was wrong about that and you are too. I think all my dogs current and past have been great. There may have been a couple that were a little better at certain things, but they've all been great. I'm sorry for your loss. I've been through it as all dog owners have and it's really hard/sad and a bunch more. But I can't imagine my life without a dog or two in it
Take Care

Hey,
With bird seasons going strong hopefully everyone is getting out there. I have been making up for not being able to hunt at all last year, (two back surgeries). Started in Montana for Sage Grouse, three birds in two days, one a big boomer

Then WY for Sage Grouse and Hungarian partridge. I didn't take any pictures of the birds there, one Sage Grouse and four Huns.

Then Nebraska for Prairie Chicken, three birds with one a boomer

I'm currently in South Dakota for Pheasant and having a great time, we've seen a bunch of birds. Shot some and even got a young and dumb coyote. IMG_8124.jpegIMG_8118.jpegIMG_8113.jpegIMG_8124.jpegIMG_8118.jpeg
IMG_7914.jpeg71701134912__8B4140B0-48A3-4E45-A672-E4F2C700162F.jpeg
_MG_2256.jpegIMG_8014.jpeg
Pictures got out of order, but I think anyone who reads this will figure it out!
Take Care

Addie, German Short Hair/Lab mix. All I have ever had are registered Labs but my son got to pick this time. Points beautifully and is a great companion. She has been an incredible dog. 10yrs old.

View attachment 476101
Day we got her at 8 months old from a soldier getting ready to deploy.
View attachment 476102
Just lost our old girl Addie. Had to put her down last Friday as her hips had been getting worse and went out. She had just turned 11 years old. This is my son getting ready to put her in the truck on the way to the vet. I'm constantly looking for her out of habit.

Attachments

• 20231020_084516.jpg
    20231020_084516.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 42
IMO there is nothing better than running the fields and river banks with a good bird dog. I have had a lot of them over the years, all yellow labs, and one that was an absolute phenom. Every time we took him out other hunters tried to buy him from me. At six months old he was retrieving pheasants from the fields and ducks from the ponds like a champ. By the time he was two he was unbelievable. My favorite hunting memory with Jake was Goose hunting, We were standing on a walk bridge over the Bitterroot River when five or six birds came flying down the river. I hit one as it went overhead and in the river it went. The bridge was at least ten feet off the water but that didn't stop Jake, he bailed right off the bridge and went after the goose. The goose dove under the water and my buddy said well this should be entertaining. Jake swam to the spot where the goose went down and disappeared under the water. He was down for so long that I started stripping off cloths to go in after him. He shortly came back up with the goose in his mouth and my buddy was totally blown away. He said in his 40 plus years of waterfowl hunting he had never seen a dog do that. Jake was two at the time. I completely gave up big game hunting for the nine years I had him as I wanted to spend every minute with him in the field chasing birds or on the banks of the river shooting ducks and geese. Unfortunately he got cancer and it cut our time short. Jake was the Master. I have always trained my own and you get out exactly what you put in. Its is just a wonderful feeling to be in the woods or in the fields with your dog. I now have a non-hunting dog that I take with me all the time. It doesn't matter whether he hunts or not its just the quality time with him in the woods that makes my life so much better!

Just lost our old girl Addie. Had to put her down last Friday as her hips had been getting worse and went out. She had just turned 11 years old. This is my son getting ready to put her in the truck on the way to the vet. I'm constantly looking for her out of habit.
Very sorry for your loss. they take a big piece of your heart and soul with them.

My huntin buddy. He makes me feel like a rockstar trainer when I'm really not. He always amazes me with his ability to adapt to varying situations and habitats. If I could shoot 200 lbs of pheasant and Sharptail I'd probably quit deer hunting just to follow a dog around.
Ain't that the truth? I used to shoot enough deer for the freezer, put up my rifle, then break out the beagles for the rest of the season. Now I am a bird dog and Mountain Feist guy.

Ain't that the truth? I used to shoot enough deer for the freezer, put up my rifle, then break out the beagles for the rest of the season. Now I am a bird dog and Mountain Feist guy.
The Mountain Feist has really had my interest for a while. I love squirrel hunting as the bird hunting has really fallen off in my area. I've always wanted a squirrel dog. I really don't deer hunt or big game hunt anymore do to broken back and cancer. Any recommendations?

If you lived near Middle Georgia, I would give you one. They pretty much train themselves. They are also great family members. Like anything dog related, look for a reputable breeder and get one from them.