Guide gun build in 375 H&H?

I've had the bug to build a big bear gun, something a guide would want to pack. The 375 H&H seems to be a favorite for game heavier than an elk, or game that puts you in a situation to defend yourself, it sounds like the 375 H&H is a round that is commonly on the shelf in Alaska or Africa and that really adds to solid practical use aspect of a build which this will be all about.
Looking for guns spec from guys who have put bullets in big bears and hunt these areas, details like sight options, stock type like walnut or synthetic, weight, barrel length, action all stuff I'm wanting to get!! If the 375 H&H isn't the sauce give another opinion but with the above criteria in mind of ammo availability local to these areas.

This is how I envision the gun, use a Montana 1999, Winchester Mod70, Weatherby MK V or a Sako action. Mid weight barrel like a #5 or #6 which is actually not that heavy with a 375 hole, 24 inches, stock something like the McMillian Winchester Express which comes in Weatherby and the others as well, stainless everything I could. I would take a Walnut stock myself but I'm looking more at what a guide would carry and I think wood in that climate would just not cut it full time. Throw out bullets as well as I'd be spec'ing the reamer.
Really want to get an action nailed down, the Montana I can order as an action, the rest I would have to get a doner rifle and tear it apart, I lean to the Montana simply because as a dealer I can get quantity if I wanted if I ever wanted to do more than a one of.
I would think a guy would want open express sights also as a back up for a low power optic but I want to know from actual guys who take big northern bears regularly, maybe I'm not even on the map but I've been itching to build something like this!
I went through a very similar mental process before my 2015 Africa trip. I have a dozen or so close friends that guide in Africa, Alaska, and Canada so leaned heavily on them as well as few posters from here and another site specifically dedicated to hunting in Africa.

My criteria came down to the following.

Must be a dependable control round feed action.

Internal box magazine

.375 or .416 bullett.

Minimum 4000ft-lbs energy at the muzzle.

Barrel, medium weight contour 24" or shorter.

After much research I narrowed it down to the .375 Ruger or .416 Ruger because both perform exceptionally well in the 20-24" barrels.

Finally I came across a .375 Ruger Alaskan Stainless at a ridiculously reasonable price and bought it.

My brother borrowed it for a bear hunt and I never got it back so while I was in the process of hunting down parts to build a custom I picked up a V2 Montana in .375 Ruger that was outstanding.

A week after ordering the Montana I stumbled across a full custom 24" barrel McMillan stocked Model 70 in .375 Ruger as well. This has become my all time favorite firearm.

As much as I liked the 22" Montana the the Model 70 just grabbed me and the more I shoot it the more I love it. At some point in the future I'll probably build another but with a 28" barrel on the same spec's otherwise just to see what I can do with it beyond 500yds.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the 3.75 H&H but the Ruger does have some advantages starting with horsepower which to me there is no substitute for when it comes to large/dangerous game.

If you don't want to go the custom route and can find one of the Model 70 Alaskans (.375 H&H) in Stainless/laminate floating around on gun broker or in the classifieds somewhere It would be a great choice for your application.

There are also some Ruger Hawkeye guide guns in laminate/stainless in both .375 and .416 Ruger out there that can be bought at very reasonable prices/

IMO, the best guide gun is a lever action. Carry a 1895 through the steeps, manzanita/alders, sidehill and so on, and you'd be surprised how out of the way and balanced it seems. The thing about a guide gun is that it's for a guy that never puts it down. I'd be thinking 45-70 with some Lehigh Extreme Penetrators. Ghost ring sight or red dot will keep it handy and balanced.

I'm going to have to get some of the Ruger and H&H cases and make some dummy rounds and see what I think, I'm warming up to the Ruger bit the classic feel of the H&H really does draw!!

Hornady brass isn't the greatest. Or I would have mentioned the competing 375 Ruger cartridge. The cartridge design is actually pretty nice. This is more of a limitation for an avid reloader, than someone that only purchases and shoots factory ammo. To my current knowledge, NO ONE manufactures 375 Ruger cases but Hornady. I used to use Hornady 375 Ruger cases for my 30/375 S.I. - No more. Rich blew a primer in his 30/375 S.I. prior to my experience. No explanation whatsoever in either incident, other than inconsistent case head strength in the Hornady brass. Last thing I need when I'm 25 miles off the road in the hinterlands. This experience caused me to bail on the Hornady brass (it's a painfully long Thread):
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/blew-a-primer-_-analysis.197020/

I converted over to RWS and Norma 8x68S parent brass. That's too much fussing, time and headache for most. For me, no big deal. There are a number of members that are doing the same. Converting 8x68S cases into 375 Ruger, 338-375 Ruger, and 30-375 Ruger wildcats. They dislike Hornady brass that much. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/forming-375-ruger-brass-from-8x68s-cases.206507/

Here we go again. Ticked off the membership in possession of their pet 375 Rugers! :)

Last edited:
I'm going to have to get some of the Ruger and H&H cases and make some dummy rounds and see what I think, I'm warming up to the Ruger bit the classic feel of the H&H really does draw!!

My thoughts on the H&H too...I have considered the Wby also since you can shoot H&H ammo...but the RUM with ADG brass is calling my name I think... except those Ruger guide guns can be had pretty darn cheap it looks like...**** decisions lol

Hornady brass isn't the greatest. Or I would have mentioned the competing 375 Ruger cartridge. The cartridge design is actually pretty nice. This is more of a limitation for an avid reloader, than someone that only purchases and shoots factory ammo. To my current knowledge, NO ONE manufactures 375 Ruger cases but Hornady. I used to use Hornady 375 Ruger cases for my 30/375 S.I. - No more. Rich blew a primer in his 30/375 S.I. prior to my experience. No explanation whatsoever in either incident, other than inconsistent case head strength in the Hornady brass. Last thing I need when I'm 25 miles off the road in the hinterlands. This experience caused me to bail on the Hornady brass (it's a painfully long Thread):
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/blew-a-primer-_-analysis.197020/

I converted over to RWS and Norma 8x68S parent brass. That's too much fussing, time and headache for most. For me, no big deal. There are a number of members that are doing the same. Converting 8x68S cases into 375 Ruger, 338-375 Ruger, and 30-375 Ruger wildcats. They dislike Hornady brass that much. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/forming-375-ruger-brass-from-8x68s-cases.206507/

Here we go again. Ticked off the membership in possession of a pet 375 Ruger! :)

Ya, solid points! Hornady brass is __s!

Just searched all the brass for most of these and looks like Hornady and Norma is about it. Maybe with ADG on the 375 RUM brass that maybe more of a contender than I was thinking. Huh, maybe make two:)

I have owned numerous 375's from 375 H&H up to 375RUM's with numerous Ackley types mixed in there. I have all the parts laying around to make a 375 Ruger on a SS Winchester classic with a Brux light Palma barrel in a McMillan stock. The Ruger is just easier to get basically a 375JRS (8mm rem mag necked up) and it's shorter. Another consideration is a 375-28 Nosler since I wouldn't sweat factory ammo. ADG and Peterson will have 28 Nosler brass soon. The shorter fatter non belted cases just make it easier to fit in mag boxes. Rich said ADG might work on the 300PRC which would be a good case to neck up too. With a 300gr Cutting Edge the 375 Ruger is nearly a 338 Edge for long range too.

I have a Winchester m70 Classic stainless in 375 H&H that I bought new 20 years ago and love it. I recently rebuilt it a bit with a matte dark gray-green Cerakote and replaced the Vari-X 3 1.5-5 with a VX5 2-10. I run Leupold QRW rings in case I need the iron sights, standard factory flip up rear and a modified hooded front, sighted at 75 yards. Love this rifle and have hunted it quite a bit over the years, killed a coastal brown right out of the box in 1999. Preferred load is a 270 TSX @ ~2600fps that puts it ~9" low at 300 yds with a 200 yd zero. Puts me +/- ~3" to 250 yds. Only thing I would change is to cut the barrel back 2-4" and slick the bolt a bit, even after 20 years it is a bit rough.

My other go-to is a 450 Ackley Mag on a stainless Montana 99 with 22" barrel. I don't like that the previous owner removed the front sight, but I have not installed a new one. Also at 10 lbs without optics it is no fun to carry or quick to handle. Nice that, in a pinch, I can use .458 Win or Lott ammo. Very smooth action and feeds the long, blunt .458s slick as butter.

My .375 follower spring broke:mad: this season so had to borrow a .338WM Hill Country rifle from my boss. Love that rifle! Super smooth, points and shoots great, and light to carry. Dropped a running bear at 125 yds on a less than ideal situational shot this season and fell in love! Not sure I could have done it with the .375...

Some of the guys I have guided for won't let clients, much less guides, run brakes and never really seen a need for them in my hunting situations.

Like the RBros rifle but far from my ideal guide gun. My .02

I have a Winchester m70 Classic stainless in 375 H&H that I bought new 20 years ago and love it. I recently rebuilt it a bit with a matte dark gray-green Cerakote and replaced the Vari-X 3 1.5-5 with a VX5 2-10. I run Leupold QRW rings in case I need the iron sights, standard factory flip up rear and a modified hooded front, sighted at 75 yards. Love this rifle and have hunted it quite a bit over the years, killed a coastal brown right out of the box in 1999. Preferred load is a 270 TSX @ ~2600fps that puts it ~9" low at 300 yds with a 200 yd zero. Puts me +/- ~3" to 250 yds. Only thing I would change is to cut the barrel back 2-4" and slick the bolt a bit, even after 20 years it is a bit rough.

My other go-to is a 450 Ackley Mag on a stainless Montana 99 with 22" barrel. I don't like that the previous owner removed the front sight, but I have not installed a new one. Also at 10 lbs without optics it is no fun to carry or quick to handle. Nice that, in a pinch, I can use .458 Win or Lott ammo. Very smooth action and feeds the long, blunt .458s slick as butter.

My .375 follower spring broke:mad: this season so had to borrow a .338WM Hill Country rifle from my boss. Love that rifle! Super smooth, points and shoots great, and light to carry. Dropped a running bear at 125 yds on a less than ideal situational shot this season and fell in love! Not sure I could have done it with the .375...

Some of the guys I have guided for won't let clients, much less guides, run brakes and never really seen a need for them in my hunting situations.

Like the RBros rifle but far from my ideal guide gun. My .02

I have hunted with a Winchester Model 70 Classic inn 375 H&H for over 20 years. Living in bush Alaska, this has been my 'go to' rifle on a daily basis. This is a stock Winchester with Leupold Quick Release Rings and Burris 1.5X6 Signature scope. I use Leupold Quick Release rings on all my rifles that I might take on a float hunt or fly-in hunt. I also pack along a 4 power scope with Leupold QR rings as a back up in case I fall over a deadfall in the grass and land on my rifle. With a second scope already zeroed before leaving home, It takes seconds to get your rifle back in the hunt. Cheap insurance considering the price of once in a lifetime hunts. This old Winchester has taken moose, caribou, deer, bear and porcupines (might be a little over gunned for porkies). With the 24 inch barrel and scope it weighs 9 1/2 + pounds. At the end of the day I sometimes wish someone else was toting it, but when you need stopping power, the 375 H&H is king in my book. Plenty of energy without the brutal slap of some of the more modern magnums.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts