First Elk

mtnelkhunter

I have been getting after elk pretty hard for 4 seasons now but until this year things never quite lined up. Finally got my first this past week. Spotted in his bed below me at 428 yards with the perfect shooting gap. Shot with a .30 180 Hammer hunter out of a 300WSM doing about 2865fps I think my first shot did the job but it looked like he was trying to get up so I shot several follow ups rather than risk him moving slightly more and being completely out of sight.

72175862048__976CA4CB-B447-4433-B0A8-3FC45B47A189.jpeg

IMG_7235.jpeg
IMG_7192.jpeg

Thanks! Sure is. Especially cause it was a long time and a lot of hard effort in coming. I was also solo at the time.
Wow that's quiet a accomplishment, I took my first elk in Colorado in 75 at the age of seventeen, I had the help of 4 others a a couple of pack horses, if I had been solo I might still be at it, hopefully it wasn't to far from a road.

I had a hunting partner for the first part of the season but he had to head home Monday and I had told myself I would keep after it. Killed Wednesday morning and the pack out was about as good as I could reasonably have hoped for - 2 miles to the truck, mostly flat with some steep downhill. Had all my gear and all the meat out by Thursday afternoon.