First Elk

Congratulations and Extremely well done ,it takes tremendous drive to push yourself and do that over and over ,but if your younger and I'm sure you are it actually gets easier. Because Your actually getting stronger,being a flatlander and non smoker it takes me 3.5 days to get used to the thin air . But my age is trumping my drive so it's a wash . Cheers and great pictures and story thks 🥳😉👏👏👏

Congratulations and Extremely well done ,it takes tremendous drive to push yourself and do that over and over ,but if your younger and I'm sure you are it actually gets easier. Because Your actually getting stronger,being a flatlander and non smoker it takes me 3.5 days to get used to the thin air . But my age is trumping my drive so it's a wash . Cheers and great pictures and story thks 🥳😉👏👏👏
Thank you. Yeah, I am an adult onset hunter and had no idea how hard it was when I started. I am grateful that I didn't luck into an elk in the first few seasons of "hunting" because the extreme challenge became a huge part of the appeal for me. I am 37 now and it's also been a good motivator to be in good shape now and into the future so that if my kids get into hunting like I hope they will, I can keep up with them for as long as possible.

1700664458213.png

I have been getting after elk pretty hard for 4 seasons now but until this year things never quite lined up. Finally got my first this past week. Spotted in his bed below me at 428 yards with the perfect shooting gap. Shot with a .30 180 Hammer hunter out of a 300WSM doing about 2865fps I think my first shot did the job but it looked like he was trying to get up so I shot several follow ups rather than risk him moving slightly more and being completely out of sight.

View attachment 511978

View attachment 511982View attachment 511980
Very nice
Looks like beautiful country out there

Yeah - outside of Gunnison.
Great area, my family was from Colorado, I hunted there for 23 season mostly in the ouray ridgeway and telluride area, ive hunted all the western states except New Mexico, not a one in my opinion can compare to the San Juan Mountains in the fall, a solo elk is no walk in the park, good luck in all that you do,

Last edited:
Great area, my family was from Colorado, I hunted there for 23 season mostly in the ouray ridgeway and telluride area, ive hunted all the western states except New Mexico, not a one in my opinion can compare to the San Juan Mountains in the fall, a solo elk is no walk in the park, good luck in all that you do,
I haven't hunter any other western states yet so it's cool to hear that the San Juan mountains are some of the best!

Last edited: