Federal 7mm PRC 170 Gr Terminal Ascent

I've been shooting Federal factory 7 PRC 175 ELDX out of a 22 inch barrel Seekins Element. 2880 fps average. 3/4-1 moa @ 100 yds. Not sure of SD without revisiting my spreadsheet but probably something like 15-20.
I can do much better with my hand loads.

These were 155 Terminal Ascents. I noticed some of the tips were beat up so idk if that's why or not but 3000 fps from 18 inch barrel
View attachment 555950
In my experience tip deformities, while unpleasant to look at, make basically ZERO difference at 100 yards and honestly even at 300 it's not a big deal. Now if there's something not concentric at the BASE of the bullet you'll know about that immediately.

But unfortunately this is what I've been hearing about the terminal ascent and even the older federal trophy bonded tip - your gun just likes them or it doesn't and if it doesn't…well that's the way it's gonna be :(

They're still the last word I beleive for a true all range all game all reasonable shot angles hunting bullet. But if you can't get them to shoot the "all range" terminal window kind of becomes moot.

I've been shooting Federal factory 7 PRC 175 ELDX out of a 22 inch barrel Seekins Element. 2880 fps average. 3/4-1 moa @ 100 yds. Not sure of SD without revisiting my spreadsheet but probably something like 15-20.
That's a lot better than the hornady velocity wise still surprised that slow

In my experience tip deformities, while unpleasant to look at, make basically ZERO difference at 100 yards and honestly even at 300 it's not a big deal. Now if there's something not concentric at the BASE of the bullet you'll know about that immediately.

But unfortunately this is what I've been hearing about the terminal ascent and even the older federal trophy bonded tip - your gun just likes them or it doesn't and if it doesn't…well that's the way it's gonna be :(

They're still the last word I beleive for a true all range all game all reasonable shot angles hunting bullet. But if you can't get them to shoot the "all range" terminal window kind of becomes moot.
I've got some eldx loaded up playing with seating depth didn't get quite what I hoped from eldm but probably cheap ol savage. But my others shoot 3/4 at most. So idk once the fence with accubond lrs

I've got some eldx loaded up playing with seating depth didn't get quite what I hoped from eldm but probably cheap ol savage. But my others shoot 3/4 at most. So idk once the fence with accubond lrs
This may seem a waste of time but have you tried just a generic flat base cup and core bullet? Those aren't really what make a LR cartridge shine I know but they're also super easy to figure out how accurate a given rifle could potentially be at 100 yards, just as a reference for future load development.

Hey there, have you tried the terminal ascents? I've been shooting my Seekins Element 22 in barrel 7PRC (60 rounds in) with Hornady ELD-X rounds with 1/2 MOA 100 yd with avg velocity of 2819 FPS (Majority at 2820 FPS with a low of 2790 FPS and high 2840 FPS) from a Garmin Xero Chrono

This may seem a waste of time but have you tried just a generic flat base cup and core bullet? Those aren't really what make a LR cartridge shine I know but they're also super easy to figure out how accurate a given rifle could potentially be at 100 yards, just as a reference for future load development.
No I haven't I picked a box of eldms an eldx not too much locally to choose from that heavy

I'm running RL26 with the Seekins 7 PRC. I haven't had as good of luck with the 175 ELDX but I haven't focused much on loads below 2850 fps. I've checked 2850-2940 with the same 3.185 COAL as factory Federal ammo. The group size and SD haven't matched what I can do with Bergers.
The Berger 175 EH, 180 hybrid and 195 EOL all seem to shoot well with 0.040 off the lands if I hit the barrel harmonic velocity right. I'm using a TBAC suppressor. This last weekend I shot a 5 shot 1/2 MOA group with 65.6 gr and F210m that had an ES of 3 fps with an average of 2869 fps. If you want more info PM me so we don't jack the thread.

Added an edit as my post from the phone had a typo on the velocity I'm doing well with for 175 EH

Last edited:
3.185? Dang that's short....I'm running mine 162s out further than that. Idk why bit hornady has the 162s at 3.070. But yet the CX bullet is almost same bc an they have it at 3.290

I haven't figured out the correct jump for the 175 ELDX and I haven't seen Terminal Ascent bullets as components, so I have not tried them.
I'm loading all the Bergers mentioned at 3.380. I've got a hundred Barnes 168 LRX that I haven't decided whether to try them given the success I seem to be having with the Bergers. If Terminal Ascents were available as components, I'd give them a try but nothing in this thread suggests to me I should spend money on factory 7 PRC Terminal Ascents.

I haven't figured out the correct jump for the 175 ELDX and I haven't seen Terminal Ascent bullets as components, so I have not tried them.
I'm loading all the Bergers mentioned at 3.380. I've got a hundred Barnes 168 LRX that I haven't decided whether to try them given the success I seem to be having with the Bergers. If Terminal Ascents were available as components, I'd give them a try but nothing in this thread suggests to me I should spend money on factory 7 PRC Terminal Ascents.
Bought a box of 175 Federal ELDX for giggles. I'm gonna shoot a few of them after I shoot my 162ELDX see what for speed an group I get

Post the results! I'm very curious to know. I have a moose hunt this fall and everyone is advising me not to use my beloved ELDX so I'm looking for an alternative.

Out of curiosity, did anyone who tried the TA's clean your barrel down to bare metal? When going from a cup and core style to a mono having a clean barrel makes a big difference. Is it possible for that to be the case here with the solid shank?

Recent Posts