Designing the perfect bullet box

What about doing a hard case that would stack cartridges something like this? Maximum rds in the minimum space.
View attachment 347575View attachment 347576
This is a great design as it will use less plastic fill in between cartridges.

Just another thought process on 10 round and 20 round carriers, when you are going on a guided hunt they will be a secure way to mail your ammo in advance

How about a hinged case like a drill driver bit set that has a snap in holder for each round?

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 22
Great thought process.!
10 round is more than enough for day pack
Was thinking the base area get recessed a bit for easier grab with cold fingers
Add recessed O ring down inside each "chamber" to eliminate rattle..
Add slight ridge on each end to add sufficient resistance for Slide top cover to grab
I have been thinking the same thing about the recessed oring. wondering if it would roll out or not. I like that idea a lot!

Here are the photos of the weatherby cartridge holders. Without a lid means only one piece. Slide cartridge in and the case head clicks past that bevel in second picture and is held there but still easy to push out. Lots of room in bullet cavity to avoid tip damage. I just bought another box of 20 the other day and the holder in it is just standard square plastic pockets.
Those look just like what my rounds came in from Prime ammo.

Darned handy. I think it was either Federal that used to make something similar that slid right on your belt.

Those from Prime were great in that the rounds actually locked in so you wouldn't lose them but they could be difficult to get out quickly because of that lock.

Darned handy. I think it was either Federal that used to make something similar that slid right on your belt.

Those from Prime were great in that the rounds actually locked in so you wouldn't lose them but they could be difficult to get out quickly because of that lock.
I think another member said that too. I've found that I push on the shoulder of case with a slight up effort and they slide right out. Don't grab the case head.

I think another member said that too. I've found that I push on the shoulder of case with a slight up effort and they slide right out. Don't grab the case head.
What worked for me was to push against the top of the carrier with my thumb and pop the round over the locking groove with my forefinger and they came out pretty easy.

I ain't real bright and am a bit hard headed, (who woulda guessed, right?") so when I first got them Instead of trying finesse them out I tried muscling them out and got so frustrated I was about to start cutting them out when I figured out the shortcut.

Last edited:
Here are the photos of the weatherby cartridge holders. Without a lid means only one piece. Slide cartridge in and the case head clicks past that bevel in second picture and is held there but still easy to push out. Lots of room in bullet cavity to avoid tip damage. I just bought another box of 20 the other day and the holder in it is just standard square plastic pockets.
I like those also , only problem I had was in real cold weather , getting them out , so I cut the little bevels off so I don't have to look down at it, while removing a round .
I think they came with weatherby select , on the box, I bought two boxes when they were 40.00 a box if I Remember right.

It may be the way my brain is trained after 3 years in U.S. Army and 34 years as a wildlife officer, With 15 of those years a police firearms instructor.
The best ammo holder to me only holds enough ammo to load the gun to capacity. Once the ammo is removed from the carrier, A quick shove in a pocket. If it is dropped so what. With your gun in your hand, You get out a 20 round box, Remove 4 for a 300 RUM rifle. Now put the lid back on and secure your remaining supply of ammo. Before loading your firearm.

For 338 WM and 300 WSM I have 4 cases that holds 4 shells each. 4 shells in rifle, 8 shells for 2 loads in my pocket and 2 more in my pack I am ready for a day hunt.

It may be the way my brain is trained after 3 years in U.S. Army and 34 years as a wildlife officer, With 15 of those years a police firearms instructor.
The best ammo holder to me only holds enough ammo to load the gun to capacity. Once the ammo is removed from the carrier, A quick shove in a pocket. If it is dropped so what. With your gun in your hand, You get out a 20 round box, Remove 4 for a 300 RUM rifle. Now put the lid back on and secure your remaining supply of ammo. Before loading your firearm.

For 338 WM and 300 WSM I have 4 cases that holds 4 shells each. 4 shells in rifle, 8 shells for 2 loads in my pocket and 2 more in my pack I am ready for a day hunt.
Unless I'm hunting a remote area all I carry is what's in the rifle and maybe 4 spares.

We can shoot up to 5 WT and 2 Mulies here in Texas and I haven't shot more than 8 rounds for the whole season yet in over 20 years with the exception of using the same rig to shoot some hogs along the way.

Even in Africa all I use is a belt pouch that holds four or five rounds depending on what I'm carrying.

The Ammo boxes stay in camp.

Normally I carry 6 on the stock in a neoprene cartridge holder for top loaders. Put 3 in the rifle and leave 3 in reserve. If it's detachable magazine the 3 or 4 in it and same amount on stock in reserve. If packing in for a few days might be nice to have 10 extra in the pack in case of accidentally losing some out of stock holder or needing to re-zero the rifle of it gets dropped.

I am typically a fan of an enclosed stock pack to store a few extra rounds in. But, I do also really like the good ol fashioned cartridge loops mounted on some Velcro. Example:
2195F16D-FB22-46BD-9803-CEFDF6277ECD.jpeg
Slap it on your rifle, rip it off, slap it onto Velcro on your bag, rip it off, slap it onto your headliner or sun visor in the truck. Put that sucker wherever. It works really well for me. If someone would make a set of loops that also went around the tip on the bullets (as opposed to being open on both sides), I would grab it up in a heartbeat. If I were looking for a hard case for ammo on the go, I would want a hinged plastic case like this:
33C839BA-EB37-4567-B486-E7A7350B7AE6.jpeg

Size it for that Velcro strip of bullet loops, Stick some strips of closed cell foam to protect the case head and bullet tip, and go to town. The strips of closed cell foam will keep the chances of damage low, and the foam combined with the cartridge loop setup will keep things quiet. I have little need for something waterproof. I've submerged rifles and ammunition, hunted in the rain, snow, and sleet, whatever. No problems. A little water never harmed good quality ammunition in my experience. A little protection from impact/the elements is always a good thing, but I don't see the point of going to the hassle of waterproofing an field ammunition case.

Last edited:

They still do. These are the fancy Federal Premium Terminal Ascent cartridges. Notice the loops on the side.

6F16D6E1-03D9-4BD5-BB54-DA589B984B40.jpeg
216071DA-66E7-4FF3-97D0-A74A18715440.jpeg