Designing the perfect bullet box

I get my ammo box latches from the post office. When you don't check your mailbox for a while they make you come in and get a bundle of junk mail with special latches.View attachment 343220
That's what I do as well. I also have those white boxes with styrofoam inserts that I got from a supplier.
Neither is what I call good.
A well designed convenient, quiet and secure 10 or 20 cartridge hunting case is always welcomed!

When I was young and healthy I would leave on a Friday,the day before the season opened for elk and walk all the way with a game cart in the area I wanted to hunt(Most all day walk).Can't do that anymore.That would be nice to have on a trip like that.20 rounds would be all you needed.
Back then I took a dermal tool and cut out all the partitions to hold 30-06 shells in a plastic shell holder until all I had was a clean box.Then I would stuff plastic foam in layers and glue them all together and take an old shell with a loose primer pocket and put my 180 gr Partition in and heat it up until red hot and push it in the foam and it would make a hole.I got 18 in comfortably and that was my cartridge holder and it did not move or rattle and had to pull kind of hard to get the top off.
A simple idea has made regular folks rich,go for it my friend,I'll buy one!

Hey guys, I recently got a 3D printer and have been doing some design and development for different things. As a avid hunter and reloader, I have searched for the perfect bullet box for hunting and haven't found anything to get excited about.
I would like your opinions and ideas on this.
Here is a list of things I would like to incorporate into this bullet box:
Quiet! I hate my bullets rattling around in the stock box in my pack. No more sticking small sticks between each bullet. 😂

I don't like the bullets resting and impacting the tip of the bullet! I think it should rest on the case taper. Yeah we crimp the case but why should chance it if it gets dropped?

Smaller and possibly lighter. Theres wasted space in the standard boxes, and limited space in our day packs!

Waterproof. I am considering using a oring seal around the top for the lid.

Am I missing anything? Also, I am considering printing a few of these out for people to try in different calibers if all goes well. Anyone interested in something like this?
Here is the first prototype. I think the final will be a 20 round box.
Thanks for your input
Brad
Let me know what you finally come up with.
Ed

First trial didn't work so well. First time using this fillament. The print temp was too low and it didn't bond well. Also the chamfered edges didnt load from the cad program. It was successful enough to make some improvements. The bullets fit too tight and I needed to force them all the way in. I gave the new one about 10 thou more clearance for shrinkage. Also the lid was way to tight, so I gave it .125" more clearance. Revision 1 is on the printer.

Attachments

• CD7B41AA-950F-4C78-88B6-46C5A730FE94.jpeg
    CD7B41AA-950F-4C78-88B6-46C5A730FE94.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
When I was young and healthy I would leave on a Friday,the day before the season opened for elk and walk all the way with a game cart in the area I wanted to hunt(Most all day walk).Can't do that anymore.That would be nice to have on a trip like that.20 rounds would be all you needed.
Back then I took a dermal tool and cut out all the partitions to hold 30-06 shells in a plastic shell holder until all I had was a clean box.Then I would stuff plastic foam in layers and glue them all together and take an old shell with a loose primer pocket and put my 180 gr Partition in and heat it up until red hot and push it in the foam and it would make a hole.I got 18 in comfortably and that was my cartridge holder and it did not move or rattle and had to pull kind of hard to get the top off.
A simple idea has made regular folks rich,go for it my friend,I'll buy one!
You sound like me , I would cut down plastic shell holders that came from some 20 round ammo box , so my ammo would Fit then cut them down from 10 rounds to 5 rounds and spread 4 of those around in my pockets and pack ,so no matter where I reached for ammo ,it was there!
I

The best I've seen is a 20-round box of tough plastic with medium density plastic foam inside, cradling all 20 rounds, separate from each other, and a separate 1/4 in rubber pad at base and point ends secured to top and bottom of box. Lid closes with a hinge and spring clip, much like bigger ammo boxes! Very quiet and secure. Probably waterproof!

The best I've seen is a 20-round box of tough plastic with medium density plastic foam inside, cradling all 20 rounds, separate from each other, and a separate 1/4 in rubber pad at base and point ends secured to top and bottom of box. Lid closes with a hinge and spring clip, much like bigger ammo boxes! Very quiet and secure. Probably waterproof!
Do you remember who made that?
Sounds good to me

I am pretty happy with fit and finish on the bottom. I think I will experiment with the oring to hold the lid in place and help with water. The 300 ultra mag shells had a few thou clearance and slid in and out nicely.

Attachments

• 88D31FA3-C3AE-4E77-A435-DB938E528B03.jpeg
    88D31FA3-C3AE-4E77-A435-DB938E528B03.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 704D0F37-0741-4494-8231-12ACF1311F0C.jpeg
    704D0F37-0741-4494-8231-12ACF1311F0C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67