Custom .22-250?

More like 26 inches at 1k yards wind drift difference when I checked JBM. Even at 600 yards which is a chip shot out here in the west the 77 SMK are got to have around 200 ft/lbs more terminal energy. I'd go with the 77gr SMK's

If you inflate velocity with 77's and give anemic velocities with 53's, sure. I posted screenshots of ballistic data with both based on the upper ends of noslers load data with both bullet weights.

So I have been following this thread and shoot 77 SMKs in my 223. What would be a good bc bullet in a fast twist 22-250AI? I am considering a barrel swap in mine which currently has a slow twist.

Depends on how fast the twist and what you're looking to do with it. 95gr SMK's in a 7 twist would probably be one of the top choices for long range performance for target but SMK's are poor bullets for shooting animals. Berger has some good ones, the 85.5 would be my top choice for target and game bullet. ELDM's aren't a bad choice either.

If you inflate velocity with 77's and give anemic velocities with 53's, sure. I posted screenshots of ballistic data with both based on the upper ends of noslers load data with both bullet weights.

Depends on how fast the twist and what you're looking to do with it. 95gr SMK's in a 7 twist would probably be one of the top choices for long range performance for target but SMK's are poor bullets for shooting animals. Berger has some good ones, the 85.5 would be my top choice for target and game bullet. ELDM's aren't a bad choice either.
I gave the 53gr ELDM's a velocity of 3650 fps and the 77gr SMK's 3150 fps so it's in the ballpark.
1711462958371.png
1711463006847.png

So I have been following this thread and shoot 77 SMKs in my 223. What would be a good bc bullet in a fast twist 22-250AI? I am considering a barrel swap in mine which currently has a slow twist.
I'd shoot whatever high BC bullet that was the most accurate. I'd focus on the 75gr, 80gr, and 88gr ELDM's. Right now I shoot the 75gr ELDM's out of my AR15 5.56 1-7" and have been pretty happy with it.

That 85.5 with a .524 G1 BC IS a big improvement over the 77 SMK. I would not hunt deer with these. I would use one of my other rifles. I could use up the 77s in my ARs.
Usually hunt deer with a .30 or 7mm. For anyone using them, how are they grouping?

Yeah so you neutered the velocity with the 53 and ran the 77 at the top end. That's not at all a fair comparison. Run them both at the actual velocities you can achieve.
LOL I ran the 53gr at the velocities I got with my 22-250. And the 77gr at mid range velocities I seen on the net. In any case I'd run the 77gr SMK's over the 53 gr vmax's and I'm a fan of the 53gr vmax's.

75gr ELDM's out of my AR15 @ 550 yards. You'd need to run modified stainless steel mags.
1711464225356.jpeg

That 85.5 with a .524 G1 BC IS a big improvement over the 77 SMK. I would not hunt deer with these. I would use one of my other rifles. I could use up the 77s in my ARs.
Usually hunt deer with a .30 or 7mm. For anyone using them, how are they grouping?

I ran them in a fast twist 223 and a 224V and they shot as little groups as anything else. It's an excellent bullet. Pick the right powder for your chamber and barrel length, load them .020" off the lands to start like every other Berger hybrid, find your load and never worry about chasing the lands.

LOL I ran the 53gr at the velocities I got with my 22-250. And the 77gr at mid range velocities I seen on the net. In any case I'd run the 77gr SMK's over the 53 gr vmax's and I'm a fan of the 53gr vmax's.

And if you look up 53gr VMAX 22-250 load data you'll see plenty of people are getting 3800-3900FPS with them. Again, not a fair comparison. The VMAX absolutely smokes the SMK in drop and terminal performance and wind drift is the same to 600 yards and a completely insignificant difference beyond that when comparing them accurately.

If you want to live in a fairytale land though that's you're business.

I ran them in a fast twist 223 and a 224V and they shot as little groups as anything else. It's an excellent bullet. Pick the right powder for your chamber and barrel length, load them .020" off the lands to start like every other Berger hybrid, find your load and never worry about chasing the lands.

And if you look up 53gr VMAX 22-250 load data you'll see plenty of people are getting 3800-3900FPS with them. Again, not a fair comparison. The VMAX absolutely smokes the SMK in drop and terminal performance and wind drift is the same to 600 yards and a completely insignificant difference beyond that when comparing them accurately.

If you want to live in a fairytale land though that's you're business.
I live out west where we normally shoot greater distances in wind than in the swamps of Florida lol.

I live out west where we normally shoot greater distances in wind than in the swamps of Florida lol.

Cool story and a dumb assumption. Like most Floridians I'm a transplant and have been here a whopping 5 years and shot PRS matches all over the country before that. Florida has plenty of wind though, especially the gulf coast.

Congratulations on your attempt to pound your chest to somehow backup your statements and change facts of how bullet flight works.

I also live in the west and have several ARs. One has a 7 twist heavy barrel and another is
8. I will have to try these in the .223 first and see how they do.

Cool story and a dumb assumption. Like most Floridians I'm a transplant and have been here a whopping 5 years and shot PRS matches all over the country before that. Florida has plenty of wind though, especially the gulf coast.

Congratulations on your attempt to pound your chest to somehow backup your statements and change facts of how bullet flight works.
And I lived out in Georgia when stationed at FT Stewart. Shot plenty on the base out to 1500 yards. Visited FL and SC whenever I could, I never saw wind like we have out here in the PAC NW. Anywoo I'll take the 77 gr SMK's over the 53 gr vmaxs.

And I lived out in Georgia when stationed at FT Stewart. Shot plenty on the base out to 1500 yards. Visited FL and SC whenever I could, I never saw wind like we have out here in the PAC NW. Anywoo I'll take the 77 gr SMK's over the 53 gr vmaxs.

So does wind in the west somewhere affect bullets differently than wind in the east? LOL

You make zero sense. BC is BC and wind speed is wind speed, you can see the charts I posted for actual data with both bullets.