Custom .22-250?

FireFlyFishing

I love the .22-250 cartridge. The SAMMI spec is lame compared to modern standards and projectiles though. So…contemplating a .22-250 custom with a 6" or 7" twist barrel. Now we're talking old cartridge with some legs.

Before you start throwing 22 CM or others at me because this or that…I have lots of .22-250 brass laying around…like a lot. I also have a metric crap ton of 77 grn SMKs laying around.

What action size would be adequate? Should I throat the barrel for the specific bullet I will be using?

Intended purpose: Coyote gun. That's it….just a yote gun. I'd run it suppressed. Long barrel ok…even with a suppressor.

How would you build this rifle?

I put one together for a client last fall. He wanted to keep the cost in line. We went with a tikka action, carbon barrel with a 7.5 twist. We didn't throat it longer. He wanted a 18 inch barrel to run a muffler. I was a little worried about velocity. But it's shooting 55 gr at 3500 and I think around a 77 gr eldm at 3350 -3400 or so( it's been about 4 month's, pardon my memory) Both loads shoot half moa at 200 yards. It's an absolute lazer.

6 or 7 twist is FAST. I would really consider what bullets you're going to shoot so you don't run into issues with spinning them apart. You should be able to get away with a 7.75 or 8 twist unless your low elevation or wanting to shoot something like the 88 eldm or some certain monos.

A short action is fine even with freebore setup for the heavies. If your wanting to feed it out of Aics mags 22-250 can be a little finicky with the case taper but you can bend feed lips and get them to feed fine.

I have a standard 22-250 in a trued REM 700 VSSF II, and a custom 22-250AI built on the same action with a 1/4" lug switch barrel set-up. The 22-250AI is a 7" twist 4 groove 28". I run 77g or 88g RDF depending on range, or the 77g Sierra for fox shooting at range.
I prefer the AI performance, no case trimming and brass lasts for ever. I'm still using original Sako brass I got with the rifle and fireformed some time later. Also have 80's vintage Winchester 'ww-super' cases that just keep on going, but for my F-class mid range duties, I run Lapua SRP brass exclusively.

Cheers.

I put one together for a client last fall. He wanted to keep the cost in line. We went with a tikka action, carbon barrel with a 7.5 twist. We didn't throat it longer. He wanted a 18 inch barrel to run a muffler. I was a little worried about velocity. But it's shooting 55 gr at 3500 and I think around a 77 gr eldm at 3350 -3400 or so( it's been about 4 month's, pardon my memory) Both loads shoot half moa at 200 yards. It's an absolute lazer.
Really like the idea of a Tikka action. What bolt stop?

What did your client do as far as a stock? Light weight I'm guessing?

If you are going custom for coyote hunting, there is no reason to not go AI, best coyote hunting cartridge I have ever used.

60g Bergers at 3700-3800 stops them in their tracks, 55g at 4100 eliminates a lot of leade on trotting shots.

I don't know if a coyote has enough meat on the bones to get a 77g Sierra to expand.

I ran 25", 12 twists, and around 550 was as far as I ever had to shoot, not living in the Plains states.

24", 8T runs the 75g Hornady at 3400 at a minimum.

I did a 22-250ai on a remington short action with a 24" 7 twist heavy barrel from McGowan. Will shoot dimes at 200 with 80gr bergers.

If you are going custom for coyote hunting, there is no reason to not go AI, best coyote hunting cartridge I have ever used.

60g Bergers at 3700-3800 stops them in their tracks, 55g at 4100 eliminates a lot of leade on trotting shots.

I don't know if a coyote has enough meat on the bones to get a 77g Sierra to expand.

I ran 25", 12 twists, and around 550 was as far as I ever had to shoot, not living in the Plains states.

24", 8T runs the 75g Hornady at 3400 at a minimum.
How about barrel life fellas?