Custom .22-250?

How about barrel life fellas?
Not any difference between the std 22/250 and the AI. Fast twist in either with heavy bullets is much worse on barrel life.

I still shoot zero freebore AI's. 55g Gold dots on hogs is wicked medicine at 4100 fps with Win 760.
I did a 22-250ai on a remington short action with a 24" 7 twist heavy barrel from McGowan. Will shoot dimes at 200 with 80gr bergers.
We did the same thing at 200 yards with 55's.

I shot a bob cat in half with a 60g Berger at 3750 fps, 12 twist, about 150 yd shot while he was sitting on a pond dam watching fish.

Ok, seriously. What is the AI cheat code going to give me on this caliber, really? Is it worth what you fellas are going through? Maybe I'm just swinging my purse here, but why???
Two very good advantages. 1) Your brass will never stretch and need trimming. 2) The resultant increase in capacity will gain you as much as 150fps.
Your sizing will also be more consistent and precise due to less body taper.

Cheers.

Two very good advantages. 1) Your brass will never stretch and need trimming. 2) The resultant increase in capacity will gain you as much as 150fps.

Cheers.
My 260 AI has had minimal stretching of the brass and roughly 150 fps faster than it's original case. So I'd expect the same in the 22-250 AI. However I decided if I build another 22-250 I'll just build a standard and use a RCBS X-Die. The reason being I want to keep the case capacity around 35 gr with a fast twist barrel. Mine will have a 1-7" twist and I'll concentrate on 75gr and 88gr ELDMs.

BTW so far the most accurate loads out of my 260 AI have been my fire forming loads. I jam the bullets pretty hard to aid in fighting the ejector plunger on my Rem 700. And then I hunt varmints with the fire forming loads. My ideas aren't the "best" way of doing something. Just what I chose to do.

My 260 AI has had minimal stretching of the brass and roughly 150 fps faster than it's original case. So I'd expect the same in the 22-250 AI. However I decided if I build another 22-250 I'll just build a standard and use a RCBS X-Die. The reason being I want to keep the case capacity around 35 gr with a fast twist barrel. Mine will have a 1-7" twist and I'll concentrate on 75gr and 88gr ELDMs.
I also have a 260AI, it was my first mid range F-class barrel larger than 22 cal, it just wasn't getting it done, so I turned up a 6.5x47 Lapua barrel and still am amazed at the consistent groups and ease of loading and tuning. It will put 10 shots into a ragged hole and the 123g Custom Comp and 130g RDF shoot identical. Windy days I use the 130g RDF.
I still think the AI is a better option with the 22-250 case.

Cheers.

Ok, seriously. What is the AI cheat code going to give me on this caliber, really? Is it worth what you fellas are going through? Maybe I'm just swinging my purse here, but why???
I'd say if you wanted a little more velocity out of the 22-250 with the heavies it might be worth it. You'd eliminate much of the taper out of the 22-250 case. It might make the case more efficient and accurate too. And once fire formed the case stretch is minimal.

I also have a 260AI, it was my first mid range F-class barrel larger than 22 cal, it just wasn't getting it done, so I turned up a 6.5x47 Lapua barrel and still am amazed at the consistent groups and ease of loading and tuning. It will put 10 shots into a ragged hole and the 123g Custom Comp and 130g RDF shoot identical. Windy days I use the 130g RDF.
I still think the AI is a better option with the 22-250 case.

Cheers.
That's what I read about the 6.5x47, very easy to load for. Case capacity in the high 30gr range too. Makes me all jelly :)

Cheers.
Most often, peeps are too locked into #2 and fail to realize #1. Another advantage is that Ackley designed the improvement to fire the parent cartridge safely.

My 22-250AI with 1:7 Lilja is unreal with accuracy and velocity. I was blowing up the 40 gr Speer bullets, but went to 50 Gr Nosler BT's and they are same hole and going 4010 without pressure. I have shot 75 gr A tips and am looking at going heavier with some all copper. Love the gun, just don't shoot it much anymore so not sure how much more load development I want to do. Right now, a coyote at 500 is point and dead so not much need to do a lot more work.

I have a custom 22-250AI in a Tikka action and love it. The AI versions cycle great out of AICS mags; I prefer the older MDT ones and have a bunch so that's what I use. I would not go 6 or 7 twist though. 8 will work for your 77s. Not the same bullet but I used to shoot 75hpbts from a 1:9t just fine from the 22-250AI. Sooner or later you'll be tempted to try some light bullets and be spinning them about in a 6/7t. I really like Sierra 60grTMKs; decent BC but still light enough you can easily drive them 3700+. I personally wouldn't shoot slow, high BC bullets at coyotes. I'm a believer in fast and flatter shooting. Majority of the time you don't have time to be messing with dialing.

ON multiple barrels in the 22/250 AI with 12T, zero freebore reamer, 25-26" lenghts
50g Noslers is 4200 fps
55g Nosler is 4100
60g Berger is 3700-3800
Win 760 is the powder we use, knock off 100 fps with varget use

In the Predator calling clubs I was in, there were at least a dozen of us in each club that had the AI, and more ran the standard 22/250. When there was not a Monthly Club Hunt, we would meet at the rifle range and shoot and share stories, teaching novice hunters. Five or so reloaded out of the back of our Pick Up, so we all pitched in to help New Guys develop their load tune. Liberals put an end to the rifle ranges and Monthly competitive hunts.

When hunting coyotes, the choice in the bullet you use when you want to connect at a distance is of critical importance. Many bullets are not worth a darn for killing coyotes. I wish Berger would get in the Poly Tip business.

When it comes to a choice on a coyote rifle cartridge, speed will be your friend.

I'd rather have the higher BC's and dial. The reality is most of us use some sort on MOA or MIL based reticle. Just tape the holdovers into the rear scope cover and you'll have your dope out to 800 yards. For me a 75gr ELDM would most likely be going 3150 fps. Even with an old mildot reticle I'd be good out to 800 yards with a 100 yard zero. My coyote set up is an AR15 shooting a 75gr ELDM out to 500 yards. My 260 AI 145gr MB or 147gr ELDM for everything else past that.