Custom .22-250?

Building a fast twist 22-250 to shoot a bullet with a crappy BC like a 77gr SMK is like buying a race car and detuning it and running 87 octane. You could easily sell those SMK's and buy better bullets and you could also sell the brass. Components are in high demand and easy to sell. Or sell them during the next panic and double your money.

I wouldn't build a fast twist 22-250 in 2024 nor would I build any fast twist bolt gun and run those bullets. It's a waste or primers and powder which are the most expensive components now and what have gone up most in cost.

If you absolutely have to use some of it then build a 7-8 twist 22-250AI but pick a better bullet.

Building a fast twist 22-250 to shoot a bullet with a crappy BC like a 77gr SMK is like buying a race car and detuning it and running 87 octane. You could easily sell those SMK's and buy better bullets and you could also sell the brass. Components are in high demand and easy to sell. Or sell them during the next panic and double your money.

I wouldn't build a fast twist 22-250 in 2024 nor would I build any fast twist bolt gun and run those bullets. It's a waste or primers and powder which are the most expensive components now and what have gone up most in cost.

If you absolutely have to use some of it then build a 7-8 twist 22-250AI but pick a better bullet.
I suppose it depends how far I intend to shoot. 1000 yard yote shots…probably not. However, 77 SMK are better than the 55 grain bullets that you get out of a standard 22-250. I hear what you're saying, but I'm not looking to ring steel at 1200 with my yote gun.

I suppose it depends how far I intend to shoot. 1000 yard yote shots…probably not. However, 77 SMK are better than the 55 grain bullets that you get out of a standard 22-250. I hear what you're saying, but I'm not looking to ring steel at 1200 with my yote gun.

At 22-250 velocities you'd probably be better off with something like a 53gr Vmax that has a great BC for the weight than a 77gr SMK that has a terrible BC for the weight. SMK's terminal performance also kind of sucks, sometimes they'll fragment and sometimes they'll just pencil through.

Picking a different bullet is the right choice.

53 VMAX vs 77gr SMK. This is just going off Noslers data for both weight classes so that may vary a little but out to 600 yards the wind drift is identical but the 53's have 1.1mil less drop which is significant, especially for a coyote rifle. That's the difference between a hit or a miss if you're off a little on your range. Even at 1000 yards the 77 barely has less wind drift but has 2.1mil more drop.

77 SMK's are dumb.

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpeg
    IMG_0829.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0830.jpeg
    IMG_0830.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 14
I shoot the 53gr vmax and yes it does have good BC's for it's weight, but I'd still use a 77gr SMK for 1k yards. The wind drift would be less for the 77gr SMK than the 53gr vmax. Besides the OP has an ample supply of the SMK's and could always get 75gr ELDM's or 77gr TMK's in the future.

I shoot the 53gr vmax and yes it does have good BC's for it's weight, but I'd still use a 77gr SMK for 1k yards. The wind drift would be less for the 77gr SMK than the 53gr vmax. Besides the OP has an ample supply of the SMK's and could always get 75gr ELDM's or 77gr TMK's in the future.

Less than 5 inches difference in drift at 1K or .1mil. That's not even 4%. He also said he's not shooting 1000+ yards with it.

Less than 5 inches difference in drift at 1K or .1mil. That's not even 4%. He also said he's not shooting 1000+ yards with it.
More like 26 inches at 1k yards wind drift difference when I checked JBM. Even at 600 yards which is a chip shot out here in the west the 77 SMK are got to have around 200 ft/lbs more terminal energy. I'd go with the 77gr SMK's

The 77gr SMK's would have 5 inches less wind drift too at 600 yards. The vitals on a yote are around a 6" circle. Distance I can dial and it's easy with a rangefinder. Wind is a more difficult variable.

So I have been following this thread and shoot 77 SMKs in my 223. What would be a good bc bullet in a fast twist 22-250AI? I am considering a barrel swap in mine which currently has a slow twist.