Coyotes won’t come in on a call

101stCurrahee

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if that's just how it goes. I have been out chasing coyotes well over 30 times now and still haven't had one in range.

I make sure I set up at least 100 yards off the call crosswind and elevated.

i'm using a fox pro shockwave and have tried about every combination.

The majority of the time they respond to my locator call or pop in distress but don't give a **** about coming in. In fact after 15 minutes or so I might even here them yipping further away.

so far the closest I came was a lone coyote sitting at about 500 yards. She definitely heard my call. She just wouldn't come in.... for an hour and a half she laid down there. Every now and again I would mix up the call and try something new which would cause her to stand up take a few steps forward and then lay back down. Eventually she got bored and strolled off the other way out of sight.

i've tried multiple areas very far apart with the same results. Am I doing something wrong? Or does it usually take this much effort to bag one? it's not like there's a shortage, I hear tons of them.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if that's just how it goes. I have been out chasing coyotes well over 30 times now and still haven't had one in range.

The majority of the time they respond to my locator call or pop in distress but don't give a **** about coming in. In fact after 15 minutes or so I might even here them yipping further away.

so far the closest I came was a lone coyote sitting at about 500 yards. She definitely heard my call. She just wouldn't come in.... for an hour and a half she laid down there. Every now and again I would mix up the call and try something new which would cause her to stand up take a few steps forward and then lay back down. Eventually she got bored and strolled off the other way out of sight.

i've tried multiple areas very far apart with the same results. Am I doing something wrong? Or does it usually take this much effort to bag one? it's not like there's a shortage, I hear tons of them.
This time of year they're well fed,or your area could be over called,weekend weekend warriors who over call and miss shots are your worst enemy.Hang with it try some distress bird calls,turkey especially,eventually you'll connect.

1) I've called em in to 30 yards when turkey hunting.

2) Don't over call. Use a fresh dead jack rabbit or racoon, etc for bait If you can helps. They almost always circle down wind. So, the right scent can really make a difference.

3) Last suggestion; get comfy & proficient shooting sub-moa at 500 yards. Gotta have an accuracy capable rifle, load, know your DOPE, and practice good form.

Mistakes I see people make... and some I made initially.
-Park out of sight... way out of sight.
-Be stealthy walking in. Contrary to belief, coyotes aren't laying in a hole in the ground (den). They are laying on a knoll, a brush pile, a fencerow or a woodlot edge, etc. They likely see you coming. If they see you come into an area, you will not get them called in.
-Even if you play the wind, they could be circling and winding you. Always set up with a barrier to force them where the wind is not in their favor. I like to use brushy waterways that jut out into crop fields. --Set up at the tip of the (jut) and they will likely travel up the waterway or parallel to it.
-The colder, more miserable the day, the easier they are to get in.
-If you keep hunting the same area, you have trained them. Hang it up and find a new locale.
-I try not to call in the same area more than once in a month. Mix it up. They can be smart.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I'm doing everything right. The only thing I may have been screwing up on is hunting the same area once a week instead of once a month.

i'm guessing it does have a lot to do with them being well fed. There are jack rabbits everywhere right now. I've been trying to focus more on challenge calls and other creatures like wounded antelope fawns.

i'm just really surprised at their behavior. I never expected to see one just lay down for an hour and a half. I'm working on getting a good sub MOA gun for coyotes. Sure wish I had it yesterday. I could've easily gotten that one, but all I had was a 14.5" AR with a 3.5x acog.

One thing I do worry about is over calling. It's really cool that this fox pro has a timer on it. I'm sure people do things differently but how long/often would you consider over calling and scaring them away?

I usually start with either a locator call or challenge call, wait five minutes and then do something in distress, if nothing has come in after another 10 minutes I go to a London pub or more coyote vocals

I live in near a small/medium sized city and the yotes have become very wary of the calls that used to bring them in. Tons of coyotes just pressure has made them very wary. A friend of mine told me he used a cat meows call and it's like ringing a dinner bell around here we have lots of acreages around here and the coyotes see cats as an easy meal. Might work in your area some good varmint hunters figured this one out here!

I live in near a small/medium sized city and the yotes have become very wary of the calls that used to bring them in. Tons of coyotes just pressure has made them very wary. A friend of mine told me he used a cat meows call and it's like ringing a dinner bell around here we have lots of acreages around here and the coyotes see cats as an easy meal. Might work in your area some good varmint hunters figured this one out here!
A local competitive coyote hunter uses the same hand Cole over and over. Makes me wonder why I spent over $500 on a fox pro they are scared of lol.

101stCurrahee , You probably have the volume too high . They can hear mice walking in the grass at 20 feet away . The one you had setting out there at 500 yards or so was most likely where it could watch a den hole that pups in it . If you had been closer to it , it would have probable slipped out then barked at you to try and lead you away from the den . Be very quiet slipping into your set up , you want to go into your stand like if they caught you they would shoot you , don't sky line yourself try to blend in the best you can and still be able to see . Make all of your movements slow and steady , when you see one don't look at it straight on look off to the side of it use your peripheral vision to observe it , like you only better in most cases , they can feel you watching them ( 6th sense ) . You may want to go to the coyote hunting forum and read some of the things written there . I spent countless hours just watching and letting them teach me how to hunt them as well as years hunting and doing coyote control work . Good luck to you .

I wonder if this had anything to do with why it wouldn't come in closer. Since I'm really far from home I decided to go try one more time this morning at the same spot. Smelled something funny and looked and there is somebody's pet dog dead rotting away right near where I was.

Attachments

• 8B5841DF-14A4-4F73-872C-F93701D90B9E.jpeg
    8B5841DF-14A4-4F73-872C-F93701D90B9E.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 513
Find a unique hand call!
Problem with electronic calls is plenty of people have them now. This tends to educate every yote within miles. Back in 2012 my best friend bought one of the foxpros. He was super excited and suggested we use it instead of hand calling. After about the 5th setup of the morning I suggested switching to my hand call. First set up I called in 2 foxes, next setup a bobcat, third a big female yote. Now I'm not saying electronic calls don't work, they really do. I think you just have to practice a ton with them knowing when to switch up calls and when to hit them with the volume or take it away.
With hand calls the education part is pretty similar if you just go to Walmart and buy one off the shelf. The hand call I use was suggested to me by one of my dads friends. He was mentored by the coyote king of Northern California, Mr Weston, God rest his soul. I've never seen this call on a self in any state. It's has a unique raspy cotton tail sound and it just just plain works.
Find yourself a good hand call an keep at it!

Recent Posts