Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

Working gun right there!!! What scope is that? Is that the XLR folding adapter?
THE folding adapter is from mdt. I Took an Odin gun works ar stock and then drilled through the tube to put the xlr cheek piece. I can move it 1/2 for and aft and the height works for the application. The buttstock is before I put a bag rider on it. That is just a 5" piece of a fishing rod I epoxied a 10/32 machine screw so that I can take it off if desired. Really like the butt for this rifle however it is not a fast adjustment. I did make indexing marks so for sitting or tripod use for different stands I can do it at the truck before waking into the set. For prs it might not be the best way with all the other options. IF you go chassis get the folding adapter. IT makes cleaning the rifle as well as putting in a pack so much better
Glass is nothing special 4x16 HST vortex. Has not missed a beat on this rifle

My 308 is in a McCree's G5
BA087E65-845C-42D6-B3AC-B32223D063CD.jpeg

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.
.308 is an excellent caliber. I have a few .308s in different chamberings; .30-06, .30 Gibbs, .300 WSM (x2). .300 WM (x3), and .30 LARA. However, I do not have a .308 Win at the moment.
My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?
"My" unwritten rule is 1K FT-LBS for deer size game and 1.5K FT-LBS for elk size game at POI with the bullet's minimum velocity to expand effectively. The .300 WM remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1KY. The big browns are another story. The "NUT" behind the trigger remains the most significant factor.

Late to the party but shooting a .308 win for several years in hunting scenarios, I'd give a fairly solid yes to the question with an exception on the Big Bears. While mid weight 125-168 grain 30 caliber bullets are perfect for 95% of game, the Biggest Bears need heavy bullets. I shot 185 grain Berger's in mine at over 2700 fps with excellent accuracy out to over 1000 yards. Not saying it's a perfect Big Bear bullet but the numbers are good. At 6000' ASL, that bullet churns 1500 ft lbs energy and nearly 2000 fps impact velocity at 600 yards. While IMO it will handle a big bear, I'd prefer a better bullet for them. I'd say the extra elevation helps the .308 win and you'd be in those elevations hunting Big Bears. Luckily Big Bears are typically shot at much closer ranges. While it will get the job done, I'd prefer a larger case .308 for the job.

I've done the same @500 yards
Not "my" personal preference for elk. I have plenty of chamberings better suited for it. Where I hunted, antelope, deer, bear, and elk are found, and they fall as fair game for most of the hunting season (except for antelope, shorter season). Shots are from 200Y to 1KY and beyond, and that's why I responded as such in #31.

As captrb alluded to, seating bullets long in 308, 10twist, can really change the characteristics of it from the 165-180gr 2.8" col. known to many 308 shooters. If you're wanting to whack deer, the 168eldm was my favourite in the 308. Elk, I'd go heavier, even a 200eldx in 2.8" col can reach 2500-2550fps. The best groups I ever shot with my 11.25 before wearing it out, was with the 208eldm and 195tmk. The 195tmk stabilized fine at extended ranges

Not "my" personal preference for elk. I have plenty of chamberings better suited for it. Where I hunted, antelope, deer, bear, and elk are found, and they fall as fair game for most of the hunting season (except for antelope, shorter season). Shots are from 200Y to 1KY and beyond, and that's why I responded as such in #31.
My self imposed limit is Totally dependent on conditions as well

.308 is a very accurate cartridge, and would be capable of taking most game at 600. You will need to practice more in the wind as they do get moved around a lot more than many others.
Yep, we get some nasty winds here in MT. This video was taken 5 years ago during one of my antelope hunts ...

Recent Posts